At what point ?

GunnSlinger

Captain Backpack
Reaction
At what point do we need to FORCE bike/quad riders off course and end their day right than and there?

We have all seen it. It will be mile 200 and a bike entry will pull into the pits mid pack with 6100 trucks. It's scary dangerous! I get you are living out a dream and every one should have an opportunity to finish, but, people suffering the consequences in a very bad way. This isn't a game.

I'd personally like to see an easy to follow rule that if you are passed by X number of trucks, your day is done. The next Pit is your last one. I think one truck is too many to get passed by but I also really hate the idea of having a TT breathing down my neck at 100+ mph.

Last edited:

LAPoliceGear.com

Reaction
IMO there should be no mixing of bikes/quads with trucks/buggies/UTVs. People will be killed or seriously injured until it is stopped. Pull the bikes/quads off the course when trucks are catching up to them. It's not rocket science.

frozenh2o

Reaction
Bikes, quads, trucks and buggies have been mixing it up for a LONG time with an outstanding safety record. Race smart.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
But that record is currently getting tarnished. And that means if it continues, some jackhole do gooder is gonna say 'ban it all' because it's dangerous. Either we fix this (easy solutions) or we will have to fight to keep the sport alive down the road when we have to fight public opinion. Ever ride a Honda 3 wheeler? Ever wonder why they were banned for sales in the U.S.?

frozenh2o

Reaction
Ever ride a Honda 3 wheeler? Ever wonder why they were banned for sales in the U.S.?
Quite the side topic, but 3-wheelers were never banned. The manufacturers agreed not to build them, which was a moot point, as quad sales had already taken-off.

Freedogger

Reaction
Two ideas that come to mind.

1. Start them up the course a bit. Pit 2 or 3 would give them a few hours (that they have now) plus a bunch of miles head start.

2. Take advantage of areas where the course gets close together and make the bikes take the shortcut. For instance at this years V2R bikes would cut out the loop from mile 110-160. Mile 260-320 possibly too.

I agree though, that there has to be some sort of cut off. If you are so far down that your being caught only a few hundred miles into the race where you had a several hour head start......you probably shouldn't be out there.

Baja Dad

Reaction
I have raced 2&4 wheels dating back to 1969
I have seen it all...
No mater what you race 2 or 4 wheels everyone is wanting to finish we all know that dose not happen.
I hate to burst your bubble but the $$$$$$$ in Not with the so called top TT's.
It is with all the small homegrown teams if it was not for them you would have maybe 10 teams in the race.

I feel the first pro2 wheel racer should start at 5:30am 2x2 every 60sec
4 wheel racers should start mid day like 1:00pm 1 every 60 sec

I have said it many times take the GPS out of all the 4 wheel racers and they would have to slow down and drive smarter and could not just pin it in the dust ( OPEN YOUR EYES !!!!!!!!)

Reaction
Martin: Please inform us as to who has been killed by an overtaking vehicle while competing in the same off road racing event, recently (since our OP used the present-tense verb form "are"), or at anytime.

If I missed it, surely others may have as well, and you will be performing a service for us all.

Thanks!

green787

Reaction
Martin: Please inform us as to who has been killed by an overtaking vehicle while competing in the same off road racing event, recently (since our OP used the present-tense verb form "are"), or at anytime.

If I missed it, surely others may have as well, and you will be performing a service for us all.

Thanks!
Someone died on a motorcycle.... It's strange that RDC has nothing about this... Why do we have to get our information from other sources???

dezert_nerd

Reaction
Carlisle was not killed by any other vehicle on course. He was in an accident involving just him and the motorcycle that unfortunately took his life.

HOWEVER, another racer was struck by a TT while he was on a quad. He's in the hospital still resting and making his way towards recovery.

Personally I think we need to hold the 2 wheel races and 4 wheel races separately (one race Friday, one race Saturday) or start the bikes earlier and the trucks and buggies later in the day. Either way, you'll need more manpower and money in order to accomplish this. I'm all for rising entry fees if it means we get to race a little longer without having TT's running down the slower guys on bikes. Inevitably even if this plan was executed, you'd still probably run into a few slow guys towards the end but at least the risk would be minimized.

I raced V2R last year on a bike and if someone told me I had to pull off at the next pit because I was getting rundown by faster vehicles I'd be kinda pissed, even though it's the smart thing to do. Everyone wants to finish and have a pin given to them when they cross under the arches in Dayton.

Sent from my iPad using race-deZert mobile app

GunnSlinger

Captain Backpack
Reaction
Be it by force of a vehicle or by fear of a vehicle, riders are being placed in a bad position. Physically maimed for life for riding over their head in fear/desperation and one slip up can be fatal.

Btw - I am not referencing any particular incidents

GunnSlinger

Captain Backpack
Reaction

Thanks!
Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I have edited my original post.

Baja Dad

Reaction
Be it by force of a vehicle or by fear of a vehicle, riders are being placed in a bad position. Physically maimed for life for riding over their head in fear/desperation and one slip up can be fatal.

Btw - I am not referencing any particular incidents
so you are just speaking out you BUTT!
have you every raced a moto in a mixed event?????

GunnSlinger

Captain Backpack
Reaction
so you are just speaking out you BUTT!
have you every raced a moto in a mixed event?????
Never, I have no desire to set myself up for such thing. I've seen it first hand from the car perspective, it isn't pretty, and if you don't think it bothers the car/truck guys you are nuts!

I know and understand my skill level on a bike, most people don't.