• Forum membership has its advantages....

ATTENTION ProTruck owners, wanna race the Baja 1000?

Rory

Crayola Killer
IMG_4722.JPG

Cody Swanty is dusting off the moth balls on his Dodge ProTruck (PT) and invited me to race with him at this years Baja 1000. We were hoping that we could get some PT guys out there to race against. I know there are quite a few PT's still out there but most have been updated. We were thinking we don't care what you have done to update your PT, as long as it is a PT chassis it would be legal to race. The truck is currently heading up to Collins Motorsports in Las Vegas for a larger fuel cell, new King shocks, Brembo brakes, 37" BFG's and have Kevin Kroyer freshen up the motor. If someone has a bigger motor, 39" tires and longer arms we don't really care. As long as the chassis is still in tact and not a completely different chassis we think it would be legal as long as the rest of the PT racers agree. We are going to be talking with SCORE today to see if they would have a problem with it. So, is anyone out there interested in racing their PT at the 50th Baja 1000? Feel free to email me at [email protected] for more info. Sincerely, Rory Ward.

15-Chelsea-Magness-Pro-Truck-SCORE-Baja-1000-11-21-13.jpg

Ruffo.jpg

norra-mexican1000-2017-raceday-1528.jpg

SCORE-091011-1366.jpg

BajaFand

I really miss the protruck class and I dig that old dodge body. What killed the class? It died before 6100 came out.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Rory

Crayola Killer
I love the idea! So long as you'll be starting behind class 10 :)
We don't mind starting behind you Travis, we love fighting our way through the dust behind those little dune buggies............ ;)

sb4pro

So awesome to see those old trucks coming back it used to be one of my fav classes to watch .

redline

I really miss the protruck class and I dig that old dodge body. What killed the class? It died before 6100 came out.
The number 1 thing that killed Protruck class was the failure to keep them updated with the times. In 2010 with the exceptions of a couple things you still had to be racing a truck as it was designed nearly 20 years earlier. Mean while 95% of the other classes had been advancing the entire time and getting faster. Ivan never wanted to allow changed or updates no matter how many of the owners tried to convince him it was time.

By the time the company was sold entries were low due to a few reasons. 1 a lot of the people who raced Protruck were people who were hit hard by 2008 economy, 2 people were tired of having to use parts that weren't improving, 3 why keep investing in racing a class that no longer has the payouts it did when it first came out. The Class payouts were big for a long time but I think it became harder to get sponsors for the class which was nowhere near the O/A placing that it was a decade before do to no advances.

When the Ron bought Protruck he truly wanted to get the class back up and knew that in order to do that we needed some major improvements to get people interested again. Immediately started working on them but in the first year IMO made too many updates at 1 time. New uprights that used uniballs instead of BJs and larger rotors, New shock packages which were bigger shocks from King or Fox, New fuel cell with addition 20 gallons, upgraded axles, 37" tires, New engine package that required building complete new engine to have full benefit, and there might have been a couple other things I'm missing. By the time you were done getting all the upgrades it was $60k if you did all the work yourself. I think that is what drove the final nail in the class. The a few who were still racing did the upgrades so everyone who had their trucks sitting and waiting to be able to afford to race now had to come up with even more money to be competitive!

redline

Rory how much of the chassis do you have to have to fit in?

View attachment 182252
As long as the chassis is still in tact and not a completely different chassis we think it would be legal as long as the rest of the PT racers agree. We are going to be talking with SCORE today to see if they would have a problem with it. So, is anyone out there interested in racing their PT at the 50th Baja 1000? Feel free to email me at [email protected] for more info. Sincerely, Rory Ward.

johnboy

Bill Driggs owns chassis #1 pro truck, bought it direct from Ivan, I contacted him and told him to go to this site which he is familiar with, and contact you or post on here to contact him. He is in the market to sell his truck and I know it has all the new components to assemble the fresh engine, so you will know what your getting, not taking someone on their word. The truck has not been modified from what the rules spec'ed when they were still racing. Hope this helps.

LENNY

Tom Koch has one for sale, lots of spares and ft end is upgraded, also has Niles Castill dart block ford motor NEW 760 608 3178, said 60k