• Forum membership has its advantages....

Attention to anyone testing in Barstow

Mark Newhan

IMG_4566.JPG
IMG_4567.JPG
I was up testing the 27 on Friday. We were running the "graded" road from west to east. This road gets run on a lot and it's got some pretty good whoops in it. As we were making some adjustments a BLM Ranger came up and in a very kind fashion told us that that the road was intended to be for light traffic out to Stoddard Rd.

Ranger Arthur Basluto is a 40 year Veteran on the BLM and has been in the Barstow Field office the entire time, I believe. He let me know that he has a lot of respect for what we do. I tried to get him in the 27, but that sort of thing apparently in "Not his bag baby".

Anyway, I told him that I would try and help him by spreading the word and he was very thankful for this.

There is also a huge berm as you enter the area heading south. He didn't have a problem with it, but he did say that a fifth wheel didn't see the depth and drove into it . The back lip (as all the 5th wheel driver saw coming into it) is about maybe a foot tall, the berm is about 36-40" deep in spots. Ranger Basluto has to get assets out to repair the area to avoid RV's and other less capable vehicles from ruining their weekends.

Please do what you can to help these guys.

Last edited:

blue dog

No Raptor for Arthur ? Noticed all the raptor's at the BLM headquarters in Vegas recently. They had a parking lot full of them.

green787

You didn't know that was the access road??? The track is about 100 yards south of it.....

Mark Newhan

You didn't know that was the access road??? The track is about 100 yards south of it.....
I suppose everyone "knows" it's an access road. Fact is that the majority of teams test on it. And I guess it has become an easement of sorts. It certainly did not get in the shape that it's in because you drove your Prius down it a half dozen times ;)

I don't test up there often. I live an hour from plaster city, so I typically go there. And for the record, most of the access roads down there are plenty tore up.

Point of the thread was to help the BLM Ranger down the line. So I'll guess that you're on board with staying off the access road. Lol.

Last edited:

green787

Why were you testing a trophy truck on Prius roads??? Do you need help setting up the suspension???:D:D:D.. Sounds like they need to blade the road again....

Mark Newhan

Why were you testing a trophy truck on Prius roads??? Do you need help setting up the suspension???:D:D:D... Whoop de do!!! Sounds like they need to blade the road again, so New comers will recognize it...

Hehe

Mark Newhan

The access road, not the track.... How are the Jumps, I mean whoops, through main pit these days???

View attachment 181618
The whoops down the main are bigger than ever. I spent the majority of the time in'em. The 27 gets through them between 60-80 mph, but its a workout. You do have to check up for a few big holes. But honestly driving these truck is cheating. Lol.

Mark Newhan

No Raptor for Arthur ? Noticed all the raptor's at the BLM headquarters in Vegas recently. They had a parking lot full of them.
He was driving a Ram truck. Funny that Vegas has a S ton of them. More pull in the LV sector I guess.

blue dog

Mark, I stumbled on the #27 gooseneck race truck trailer recently. Grande Casa where the horse estates are. Where that house is, was my dads ranch full of Red angus cattle up until the mid 70's. You wouldn't think you were in Vegas in that area.

Mark Newhan

Mark, I stumbled on the #27 gooseneck race truck trailer recently. Grande Casa where the horse estates are. Where that house is, was my dads ranch full of Red angus cattle up until the mid 70's. You wouldn't think you were in Vegas in that area.
Yeah it's a cool area. Steve stores some cars, trucks and trailers there. Its not far from the dealership. That's where we base for the Las Vegas area races. The 27 and the rear of the race stuff lives with me down here.

blue dog

I played out there when there was one ranch house, a ranch hand house, stables, chickens, pigs and geese. Totally different now.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Not one of the BLM Vegas Law Enforcement have a a Raptor Patrol Vehicle. Not saying they weren't here but of the 6 current LEO's assigned here, there are 2 F-150's, 1 Suburban (K-9), 2 Yukons and 1 Dodge.

blue dog

Not one of the BLM Vegas Law Enforcement have a a Raptor Patrol Vehicle. Not saying they weren't here but of the 6 current LEO's assigned here, there are 2 F-150's, 1 Suburban (K-9), 2 Yukons and 1 Dodge.

I spotted a gaggle of them at the BLM headquarters on Torrey pines, all shinny and new