atv

tedmales

Reaction
anyone have an opinion on what would be a better quad for a large guy. i want a 4 stroke, but am not sure about which one. a raptor, the baja or a 400ex. i know the baja and raptor are bigger engines, but what would be best in the desert. i am more of an off road guy, but would like to hit the dunes as well. any help would be great.

WFODAN

Reaction
I say go with the raptor . I've had mine for almost two years and I love it . it's the best fat guy bike I've ever ridden .

Dan Vance

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
How big of a big guy are you? If you're over 250 i'd say get the raptor cuz stock for stock it has the best power. I have a 400ex (160lbs) and its plenty fast for me and rides great. You can also buy a kit for it that bumps it up to a 440 or 460.

martininsocal

Reaction
One of my buddies(big boy) has a raptor and is pretty happy with it. The only thing I would change(a very small thing) is the gearing, It could use taller gearing in the dez. Otherwise, it handles good out of the box, handles like a slot car on powerline roads, etc...Is very predictable, and seems to be pretty reliable.

AZmiik

Reaction
The guys down at Liberity were telling me about a 400ex they build a guy about your build said he was untouchable here in town. They also mentioned him clearing triples.

Mike

tedmales

Reaction
i just read about a 700cc kawasaki thats supposed to kick butt. its shaft drive and automatic i believe, but that might be a good thing unless you want to change the gearing.i think i am probably gonna start looking at the alba raptor. sounds like a good deal to me. it comes with a pipe, air filter and re jetted for msrp. anybody had any dealings with them?

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
The Raptor is your best bang for you buck especially if you are in the 220 plus range, below that a 400ex would be ideal. The problem with the raptor compared to the ex is that it is not as stable in the rough, so it is a trade, more power but less handling, or less power but more in control.

The 440 and 460 kit for the ex is a good Idea and if you have the Money like 1400 bucks or so I would get a 400 ex and then build the motor.

If you get the raptor widen the front end, cheeper than the 440 kit, we get people all the time that have raptors and when the widen it, it is night and day on the handaling, that is pretty much what plauges that bike, heavy, too much power for such a small, narrow, and short chassis. When I first got on one I compared it to my uncles 250 R and I was checkin up on bumps and turns on the rap, where on the 250 R I was way faster. I just don't like the bikes but that is just me.

That kawi is a lead sled, they wanted to get into the sport quad market and missed my a mile.

tedmales

Reaction
i kinda figured the raptor was it. i would rather have handling than power, but why not have both. from cars i have learned that more cubes= more reliable power, and i planned on a arms and shocks from the start. i would like to build a set of arms, and i have done lots of other fab stuff. i figuered on hiems instead of bushings and ball joints, but whats your opinion. i am more than capable of the project, but would like a qualified opinion about it. thanks
ted

dunerking

Reaction
What about the Polaris Predator 500.It has a new zero bump steer streering.Fox shocks all the way around,and the motor is supposed to be a runner.They feel pretty well designed as far as ergonmics go.A couple of the fellas have the Raptors and like them but your going to spend some big money to make it go fast.Just my .02.

sirhk100

Reaction
I've ridden a couple Raptors and my only complaint has been that it seems like they need a longer swing arm. It's hard to turn on the gas cause the front end is always off the ground. Wheelie Machine!!!

tedmales

Reaction
i am open to all ideas, i just wanted to hear what everyone has to say. i figure i will research for a couple of monthes before i do anything, that way i get exactly what i want, not just what the first thing that pops into my head.

poolman

Reaction
Talk to Junior he's from Yuma,has a Z400 it halls his large frame pretty fast.I'm not exactly skinny and they have plenty of power to hauls us around.Great down in El Golfo,poolman

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
Thre was a write up in the latest ATV action that had a 530 polaris. 11.1 comp, pipe, etc a done motor for $700, pretty good for that bike and motor. The problem with the zero bump steer is that there are much more parts that could fail and wear out. Really when you think about it when does bump steer on a quad become a problem, I have been on most bikes out today, cause it is the buisness I am in, and rarely does it become in to perspective as you ride. I say get the raptor and widen the front end, it will make up for the "light" front end.

JeffS

Reaction
The Suzuki Z400 is the best of both worlds... power... and handling.
It handles like the 400ex, but has more power... and reverse.
I have a 400ex and love it, but I'm always adding mods for more power.... surely because I'm over 250#'s.
I've ridden the raptor and it doesn't handle, but it's dang fast.... like comparing a banshee to a 250r.

Mike_socal

Reaction
I kind of regret buying a 400ex. It makes a good wife quad but she complains there's no reverse and I complain it's too slow. If I had to do it over again, I would get a banshee.

Junior

Reaction
Hey, this is Junior from down in Yuma. heh

You got to go with the Z400 dude. I spent all weekend riding with a guy on a Raptor and the Z400 is it. By the way RDC fans, the ICEE dude (Ted) is a biggin! Nice to meet you the other day!

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
Head on out to the dealerships. Ask them if you can try one...... They will let you try them. Not out in the desert but in the parking lot. I just tried the new Kawi 700. Way to heavy for my liking. Its hard to get better than the 250r in the handling department and I love mine. Raptors are good bikes but I would try them all before you plunk down that kind of money for a new bike.