aussie build

dags777

Reaction
gday from Australia. my wife and I do off road racing over here and are currently in the process of building what we call a performance 2wd. basic rules are longtidutinal rails must be factor as must the cab. 6 litre engine max capacity. rest is basically free. ill add a couple of photos of the build as we go. will be a long slow process! vehicle we are running is a Holden Colorado extra cab (basically an Isuzu, not sure if theyre in the US or not.) will be running a 6 litre chev engine, turbo 400 and Nissan patrol diff. couple of questions I have, what internals does everyone run int he states, lockers, spools, LSD? also turbo 400 fixed yoke kit, where do I get one, how much, how hard to install etc. anyway, on to the photos!
open to ideas, criticism etc. so don't hold back

Mark Newhan

Reaction
Good luck with the project...

Run a spool with some 40 spline axles minimum.

For the tail shaft housing, call Steve Culhane at 619-678-1669 here in Southern California.

I build a prerunner for myself back in 1999 where I used Rod Ends top and bottom. Depending on the terrain, you will have good luck with them. I would look at the leading edge of the lower control arm with the suspension compressed, you might find that the current configuration may contact the ground.

You'll find some high wear area's once you get it out there, but you will no doubt enjoy it.

Ill keep watching your progress. Keep the photos coming.

70Y07A

Reaction
looks really good so far.
looking forward to seeing some progress.

dags777

Reaction
from the chassis you mean 1450? not much....chassis will have to be scalloped out around the bypass and c/o shock

Banditrides

Reaction
Hi Dags, I see you have notched the front rails on an angle to give the uppers some clearance, is it still going to pass performance rules?

jeff.

dags777

Reaction
yeah it will bandit as the silhouette of the chassis is still original, viewed from the side. ive had a couple of scrutineers check it for me to get their opinions.

Banditrides

Reaction
Keep us posted how you go because I might have to take some meat out to clear my shocks and bypass but I was worried they wouldn't pass it.
Whats you track width, wheelbase, trailing arm and tail shaft lengths going to be?

MCM MOTORSPORTS

Reaction
I was sure you are not permitted to modify the chassis for Aus class 5. I know a couple of guys who would love to remove some metal. Good news if you can though. Makes me think about building one.

dags777

Reaction
ill have to get up to my fabricator and do some measurements bandit. leave it with me.

MCM, rules say youre allowed to modify chassis to clear suspension components but not steering.

Banditrides

Reaction
Before you get too far into it i'd get a second opinion. I know the rules say you can modify chassis to clear suspension components but how far can you go? There is a race coming up here soon, I'll have a chat to the guys here and see what they say. I've talked to racers from WA and they can't notch anything out of the chassis.

dags777

Reaction
if you read through cams manual, specific regs for performance 2wd, sr2.1.3 it is permissible to remove the minimum amount of material necessary to allow fitment of approved wheels tyres and suspension permitted under these regulations. however this freedom does not extend to steering, eg tie rods

dags777

Reaction
quick update and a photo or 2 of hanging panels, ive been in contact with cams tech dept, the chassis being trimmed as in the original photos is fine. scalloping out to clear the shocks is not as it changes the silhouette. had to change our plan a bit as our interpretation and cams is obviously different. no biggie though different mounting place for shocks is all!
enjoy the latest pics.

Attachments

• 62.jpg
    62.jpg
    469.1 KB · Views: 393
  • 68.jpg
    68.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 372
  • 71.jpg
    71.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 418

dags777

Reaction
also should have probably mentioned the bars in the windscreen, under current regs are illegal, however tech dept say its a stupid rule and will be pushing hard to offroad commission to have it amended, our current advice is leave them in.

70Y07A

Reaction
looks awsome so far! cant wait to see more progress.

dags777

Reaction
car is back in my workshop, time to plumb the brakes, fit the engine we will be using with scatter shield etc and get that plumbed for fuel and coolant.

Attachments

• 75.jpg
    75.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 396
  • 76.jpg
    76.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 398

70Y07A

Reaction
car is back in my workshop, time to plumb the brakes, fit the engine we will be using with scatter shield etc and get that plumbed for fuel and coolant.

That is one tough looking Colorado!!

when are you hoping to have it up and running?
Are you going to run the AORC or just the local stuff?