Australia – What is your TOP race?

Reaction
I would like to visit Australia next year and attend one of your Off-road races. Which race would you recommend and why? When and where is it scheduled for? I am mostly interested in longer point-to-point or big loop races with the best racers Australia has to offer entered.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
Ramsey, get in contact with my friend Tomahawk (RDC's resident Aussie.) He's always sayin people should come check out whats going on over there and knows a lot about off road..he will be able to help ya... They have some interesting cars there, powerplants we really dont see here in the states etc.

I sent Hawk a link to this thread for ya...

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/member.php?u=13322

1BAJA03

Reaction
Ramsey, I'll talk to you @ the DRIVE race just got back from Au. Spent two wonderful weeks down under goodtimes. I have a contact that races rally, offroad, and has a sportfishing boat!!! Good times

241rivmasta

Reaction
The Finke is the one everyone wants to race at least once. It is the only point to point on the national series calender and the only race with both bike and cars. If you get tired of watching the racing it has some of the best scenery around.

Dezertpilot

Reaction
What about that Australasia one? Thats probably more of a rally though huh...

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
Ramsey, Lockey Weir bought our Jimco roller and is gonna run the 3.5 litre class. He and his family live in the deep outback about 50 miles SSE from Alice Springs. I wanna go there too.

Locky is on RDC as "off-road".

I wish there was a "rent a racer" program for the Finke!

Last edited:
Reaction
I've been wanting to go for years. I think Finke is the one from what I hear. Ramsey will you be at Primm? I know a guy from Australia that will be there, he shot all the Aussie footage in DP4.
I'll be at Primm (BB) with 1200 and 601. I'd like to meet him - I want to race there in the next year or so. The Finke sounds like the race to do.

Any other suggestions from our Aussie friends?

241rivmasta

Reaction
l should have a couple of Trophy Lites for rent for the Finke next year and any other races you would want to do in our scheduale. Greg will release the dates for next year soon so if anyone wants to do a race let us no.

off-road

Reaction
Jeff Quinn has raced Finke in one of his old Jimcos after he sold it to an Aussie .One of the Geissers has also run it a couple of times in the TT they built for Gallard.
Mike Julson has also been over as a spectator.

It is a true Desert race through sand hill country but also includes some very fast sections on graded roads.

If you guys are coming you need to get your hotels booked early because it is a very busy week-end .

There is only about 85 cars but there are 500 bikes coming from all over Australia.

tomahawkracefab

Reaction
I'll be at Primm (BB) with 1200 and 601. I'd like to meet him - I want to race there in the next year or so. The Finke sounds like the race to do.

Any other suggestions from our Aussie friends?
Finke , great spectating ,( if ya like jimcos ! ) and its the only race in the championship that has bikes ( hundreds of em ) i'm thinkin about doin a rent-a-ride next year , my mate has bought a van and is leavining it at Alice Springs with a bike in it , to fly up on weekends and pre-run:cool:

tomahawkracefab

Reaction

Mark Newhan

Reaction
What does it cost to race an event? What does it cost to ship a vehicle round trip?

241rivmasta

Reaction
What does it cost to race an event? What does it cost to ship a vehicle round trip?
The freight is about $4000 USD each way and $8000-$10,000 AUD to run a round over here plus breakages. There is no pre-running before the event except for the Finke, although you are allowed a sighting lap the day of the event and to the best of my knowledge there is no GPS allowed. The motor limits are 6lt natural and 3.5lt turboed.
I would love to see your cars over here competing and trying to match it with our top 2 Shannon Rentsch ( Chenowth 3.5 lt twin tubo Nissan) & Dave Fellows (Jimco 3.5Lt twin turbo Toyota). You might have to gear up to about 180MPH but most of you do that already so no biggy. The guy's from Geiser have done the Finke twice they might be good for some answers. If anyone needs some help PM me and l will see what l can do.

Reaction
Mark, let’s go to Australia!

How many different Promoters are there, and what are their websites?
Where can I find a list of the various classes and current rules?
Is the a list of Fab and Prep shops and parts suppliers?

Mark Newhan

Reaction

It is something I would like to do. The Taupo race looks cool to.

241rivmasta

Reaction

There is only one racing body and you can see everything you need at www.offroadracing.com.au it also has links to a lot of other sites down here and click on the SORRA site as it has the most active forum down here. There will be a lot of guys willing to help you out with transport ect and most will do it for next to nothing just to get you guys down here. The figures l quoted are at the top end and would cover hire cars, trailers, motels, food and anything else you could think of. The best part of our racing is there are no chase vehicals as most of our racing are loops. I will be running a trophy lite series next year and we are hoping to get a few trophy lite racers to leave their trucks down here and do the whole series. Like l said before any help you need PM me.