Auto-cluth for off-road

Racer21(Roberto)

Reaction
I read in dirt-rider that they have auto-clutches for MX bikes, and they said something about there being auto-clutches for off-road.

Has anyone used these?
Are they hard to install?
Do they have one for an XR400?

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Rekluse, you have to basically disassemble your cluctch and replace it with the Rekluse, alot of SX doesnt use it but for trail riders its a godsend. I will get one in the future problem is its close to the same investment as getting your suspension done. But for what I will be doing its going to be perfect! And if you get the Pro model it has manual clutch over ride with the clutch lever, or you can get a lefthand rear brake for better brake modulation.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
The only downside to them is use loose the ability to bump start your bike. May not seem like a big deal until your buddy with a KTM looses his kick starter and kills the battery..........

UOURacing

Reaction
The Rekluse auto clutch seems to be popular for enduro and hare scrambling. They are available for all of the modern 4 strokes. They have promised one for the XR400 but have not seen it yet. there is another one called RevLoc and they have models for the XR line of Hondas. from what I have read and heard they are no harder to install than a standard clutch. Rekluse is supposed to have an excellent manual and tech support. They are also supposed to be very tuneable.

Harpo

Reaction
Ran a Rekluse for 2 races, could never get it dialed in. Having to remove the clutc cover several times at each race for adjustment gets old.
Not having engine braking takes some getting used to.
Never stalls
once its dialed, they swear that you will pull a holeshot every time!
Another bitchin' thing they offer is a left handle rear brake for hard left turns when you are deep in the pocket and cant reach the rear brake!
Dead battery or broke kicker is now race ending.

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
Some people swear by em. I tried it. Was neat but Im not sure its the ticket for desert racing. Havent seen them used much in the Dez.

BGRANT

Reaction
Ran a Rekluse for 2 races, could never get it dialed in. Having to remove the clutc cover several times at each race for adjustment gets old.
Not having engine braking takes some getting used to.
Never stalls
once its dialed, they swear that you will pull a holeshot every time!
Another bitchin' thing they offer is a left handle rear brake for hard left turns when you are deep in the pocket and cant reach the rear brake!
Dead battery or broke kicker is now race ending.
What if somebody else on the start has one too?:D

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Reaction
Keep a good tow strap!! I've had 3 Revloc's in my XR600 blew all of them up in the middle of nowhere. In 2004 at LA B TO V I was towed [dragged] all the way out of afton canyon by a BMW GS anything smaller would have never been able to do it. Keep the stock clutch and learn how to use it.

Racer21(Roberto)

Reaction
yeah, from what im hearing, i think ill stick with my clutch.

I thought it might create smoother shifts. i imagine going through some turns, it would get less exit speed.

not going to get one. my clutch loves me.

PS: i just realized i didnt put a "C" in clutch on the thread title. :p

ikikazz73

Reaction
I have a Revloc Auto clutch and LOVE it, in my xr650r. It makes running tight technical trails a breeze. I think that it was a blessing for tight stuff. Wide open desert i dont think i would like to use a auto however, you have to back off that 1/10 of a second to shift. I hope this helps in your decision.

EDIT: i see you run MRAN. i would buy a auto clutch for that series. you will never stall the bike doing steep climbs.

Last edited:

Racer21(Roberto)

Reaction
I have a Revloc Auto clutch and LOVE it, in my xr650r. It makes running tight technical trails a breeze. I think that it was a blessing for tight stuff. Wide open desert i dont think i would like to use a auto however, you have to back off that 1/10 of a second to shift. I hope this helps in your decision.

EDIT: i see you run MRAN. i would buy a auto clutch for that series. you will never stall the bike doing steep climbs.
well, maybe if i can find someone i know with an auto-clutch, ill try it out, but im not just buying one, and hoping it will work great. (i got some rich friends in california, haha)

im running a race this weekend in Panaca, so ill try to talk to some guys with an Auto-clutch,and see if its worth buying. (Christmas!)

Racer21(Roberto)

Reaction
If you see a klint #35p ask him to ride it... tell him mikey sent ya!
i will if i'm fealing better. i dont want to ride someone elses bike while i feal i just got hit by a truck. i should feal better before Friday or Saturday.

What kind of bike does he have?

DamnitJuice

Reaction
so, bump starts in any gear, down any size hill are completely out of the question with one of these?
or with the right amount of momentum will the bike still fire up?

BGRANT

Reaction
Rode the San Rafael Swell this weekend (5 miles of hell) and 3 guys had the Rekluse and they loved it. I didn't get a chance to try them. For 5MOH a KTM300 w/ a Rekluse would be the hot ticket.

Last edited:

UOURacing

Reaction
I have a Rekluse Pro on a CRF250X. I still have mixed thoughts about it. I took out this bike for 20 miles of woods last weekend (it was the first longer ride on it since Baja last June). At one point it seemed like it froze up and would not engage. I killed the engine put it neutral rocked the bike and let it cool, then the rest of day was without issues.

It began acting up in Mexico (you can read about ti in a previous thread of mine- Solo bike set up - any suggestions?) and I will probably pull the cover and see what's going on this weekend. It is the only bike I have equipped with one. The lack of engine braking takes some getting used to.

I'm gonna give it another chance as far as dialing it in goes, but if it is damaged or is going to be a hassle, it's outta there! In retrospect-I would definitely ride someones bike first (one that is dialed in), ask a lot of questions about set up, and see if you like it before dropping the cash. I ride the same terrain on XR's and using my left hand does'nt bother me at all!

troyharper

DA Meatball
Reaction
I love my rekluse in my 450x!