• Forum membership has its advantages....

Auto / Manual

Motorider

I just wanted to get some input on which would be better when building my 95 Ranger. I would rather have an automatic transmission, because it is going to be my daily driver, but I don't want to fry the transmission right off the bat. So let me know what the consensus is.

Thanks

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
for the money......... I would go with the manual. Gets the power to the ground and is more reliable.

<font color=red>Used Car Salesman<font color=red>

Jimmy8

Depends on the power the motor is going to be putting out. If it is just a stock V6 or 4 banger you want the manual. If it is going to have some significant modifications I would go for the auto and then later down the road you can even put a manual valve body on the transmission with a winters shifter. That is the set up you want to have.

Chris

What is a manual valve body? I've heard that term before and have wondered what it allows an automatic trans. to do. I've owned mostley cars and trucks with manual trans. and the ones that did have auto I put them in drive and left it there I never touched the 1-2-3 selections, what do they do?

Jack

It lets you shift like a manual but no clutch so it is less harsh on the drive line. You can't just leave it in drive.

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Actual you can have an auto transmission set up to shift on its own and also be able to manually shift it.

Tony