• Forum membership has its advantages....

Auto trans problems

Does any one hae any ideas on possible places to check for these trans problems. Trans is a 700r4 (built well). 1st gear works good, 2nd seems like torque converter is slipping and has no engine hold back, 3rd wont shift in till 6k and has same problem as 3rd, never got in 4th. Reverse is fine also. I have checked the fluid and the torque converter lock-up wire (plugs into front left corner of 4 wire cluster on a relay??). It is also running a little hot. Any help would be appreciated before I take it to a trans guy. Thanks Matt

tedmales

the 700r4 uses a cable to help control itself. check the cable for proper adjustment. you have to drop the pan to do it, though. i usually just feel my way. if you take the cable loose and pull it there will be slop, then it will tighten up, then you should be able to feel it pulling the lever in the transmission, hard to explain, but if you do it you will know. when at wide open throttle, there should not be any slack, or pull left on the cable. thats a good starting point.

I forgot about the TV cable. I cant remember how to adjust it. What you said gives me an idea. I will swing by the shop today and give it a look to see if it has come loose. Thanks Matt

FABRICATOR

The TV cable adjustment is absolutely critical for the 700R4.

I checked it at the shop tonight and it looked like it had about a 1/2' of slack at idle. That doesnt seem right to me. If memory serves my correct, doesnt at full throttle all 7? rings need to plunge in the trans?

tedmales

i set mine up so that it was bottomed out a full throttle. no more pull left. but mine have been aftermarket, so i had to make my own linkage. i always ended up with just a little tension at idle, but it was not limiting it at wide open. i talked with a transmission guy i trust and he said having it have tension on it all the time would not hurt, probably help it last because of what it was in( 70 chevy 4x4 with blown 383 34 ford with ls-6) if it came in the truck then the linkages are probably good, i would just try tightening it a little. if its allready broke, whats it gonna hurt. but if you know a good transmission guy get some real advice.

FABRICATOR

From GM:

T.V. Cable

Adjustment Procedure

Important!

Adjustment of the T.V. cable must be made by rotating the throttle lever at the carburetor or throttle body. Do not use the accelerator pedal to rotate the throttle lever.

Adjust

1. Stop engine.

2. Depress and hold down the readjust tab at engine end of T.V. cable.

3. Move slider until it stops against the fitting.

4. Release readjustment tab.

5. Rotate the throttle lever to its “full travel position.”

6. The slider must move (ratchet) toward the lever when the lever is rotated to its “full travel” position.

Inspect

Check that cable moves freely. The cable may appear to function properly with the engine stopped and cold. Recheck after the engine is hot.

Road test car.

I found this online from the people I bought the transmission from: 700r4 Heading to the shop right now to check it out. Matt

Just got back from the shop. Looks like the cable is real dirty inside making it not slide easily. It was adjusted right but when I pulled on it it didnt spring back inside the sleeve. Ordering a new one tomarrow then hopefully nothing is messed up. Matt