Auto-Vs-Manual

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
This may have been discussed before but, I am sortta considering swapping to an automatic trans in my 22r toyota P/U. Mainly for the ease of driving. What does the board reccomend? Are toyota trannys reliable? Or is there another brand I should use? Or just keep rowing the gears?

<font color=red>PAT KAPKO</font color=red>
<font color=yellow>Self appointed King of ghetto fab</font color=yellow>

Tyson

Reaction
Keep rowing the gears man, you only have a 4 banger the manual trans you can control the rpms better. My .02

Look at me, I can fly

Check It</font color=red>

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Keep the manual.

Kris

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>

gary

Reaction
my understanding (which is minimal, at best) is that the 4 speed manual is a pretty strong unit, more so than the 5 speed or the auto. i learned that brom checking in on some toyota rock climbing boards somewhere, as it was the most coveted transmission they all wanted. so, if you're looking for relaibility/strength, go with the 4....if you're getting old and want cushiness, go with an auto!! probably no help at all, but........

Tyson

Reaction
Now you tell me. . .when I blew this transmission I went to my mechanic and he got me another transmission and it was (accidentally) a 4 speed. so after a week I took it back and said gimme a 5 speed. . .d'oh!!!

Look at me, I can fly

Check It</font color=red>

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
Basicly getting old and want cushiness. I have been driving the wifes explorer a lot lately and geting to like the auto. This may seem dumb but solves my parking brake delemia, being that an auto would have park. Not having much fun trying to make / find e-brake cables for my ford rear end. I'm also lazy. Maybe I'll go auto and keep the manual in case the auto sucks. I had a four speed previuosly but it let go, losing all but 4th and reverse. I went with a 5 speed because of the freeway miles I drive.

MH20

Reaction
Get a manual valve body for the auto and a gate shifter. That would solve your RPM control problem and a lot of them have a gate where you can just throw it into D and forget about it when you are driving on the street. Just a thought.

1993 Ford Ranger Supercab 4.0L 2WD

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
SHoot Pat 2 weeks ago I had the cables and all for the Ford Rear end. Im going to a junk yard sale and they have a special for 100 bucks you can pile as much crap in a wheel barrow but you are limited to one motor, 1 trans, or 1 rearend per barrel otherwise you can put as much crap in it as you want. I will get you a cable if I see one.

Kris

mxjeremy

Reaction
for a better parking brake solution, you could put a small disc between the trans output & driveshaft like those rockcrawler guys.
-late.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Once again....not cost effective

Kris

84toy

Reaction
I gots the manual and it seems like the only way to take advantage of all 2366 c. besides that its waay more funner to shift.

Jason<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by 84toy on 05/18/02 03:55 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

Greg

Reaction
Pat, keep to manual trans, as for the parking brake, just carry a couple wheel chocks and always have one of your kids with you so they can jump out and do the dirty work.

Greg

Dave_G

Reaction
RE: for a better parking brake solution

Parking brake? We don't need no stink'in parking brake! :)

Dave

"I know it all, but I can't remember most of it..."

Timberwlf

Reaction
I have found that if you have the horsepower then a auto is GREAT. In my ranger I had a 4.0 with a 5 speed and that was pretty cool...well I decided to go with a c-4 on the 4.0 and I was NOT happy...shure it was nice around town but Im guessing I lost 25hp to the auto..But now I have a 250hp 5.0efi with a well built aod (auto) transmission and all i gotta say is it ROCKS....Point being...HP makes the difference in the auto vs manual debate.

Brandon

94 Ranger X-Cab 4x4 4.0L Pre-Runner/ Chase Truck/ Future 7 Unlimited Race Truck

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
due to popular opinion i will be keeping the manual trans.

Mckensies has a gear oil pump. Any benifit from running a pump and cooler on a manual transmission?

drtdevil93

Reaction
ive been considering building up a nice auto. with a nice high stall, nice componentry in it, maybe when my 2.4 becomes a 2.6 stroker ill do it. hmm...... my credit card just got up and ran away from me :(

erik