AVE/Baja Promotions Taking a BIG Stepp into the FUTURE!

Lucho

Reaction
BOLD STEP FOR AVE/BP RACING

BUT “IT MUST BE DONE”

California City, CA – Ave/Baja Promotions took the first step (some may call it a bold one, while others may say foolish) in announcing that the entire 2016 PURE UTV OFF-ROAD DESERT SERIES will be a totally GPS-based series, meaning that all courses will be marked by GPS only, with little or no actual visual course markings on the course. This is something that race promoter, Lou Peralta has been touting for years, trying to encourage the “big boys” to do likewise, but to no avail, until 2016, that is.

Peralta was contacted to explain further; “I believe that time has come for every promoter to start thinking that way, and certainly for us. Last year we were saddled with what I would call (to be gentile about it), “stinkers” who seemed to come out Friday nights and disturb our courses. These creeps could be anyone, but we have our own suspicions of locals who may drink a bit too much and then try to create mayhem. Environmental Zealots, I call them. We can’t go on and continue to put on great and safe events without trying to mitigate the situation.” Peralta concluded.

To be entirely correct, Peralta has been using GPS and giving the courses to the racers for years. AVE/Baja Promotions has reported that perhaps as many as 95% of the racers in the series already use the GPS file that AVE/Baja Promotions provides. Those who fit into AVE/Baja Promotions’ classes of “Bone Stock 1000” and “Bone Stock 900” – both Sportsman classes with mostly entry level racers, will have to learn to use GPS quickly.

According to Race Director, Alan Bell, “We will lay out the course weeks in advance and make sure to go through it several times, and then release the actual race course to those who have signed up, at least one weekend before the event. Thusly, we are prepared to give racers more than just a day to pre-run, which, in the past has been restricted to only on the Friday before the race. To be sure we have to improve our GPS plotting to make sure everyone can read the course. Moreover, we now know that the second most important person in the team will be the “Navigator” because it will be up to the “Navigator” to help the racers stay on course.”

Peralta also added, “I believe now that the task of the “Navigator” is as important as that of the “Driver” in the team, both Racers and Navigators will earn points towards class and overall points championships.”

Racers will now have a whole week to pre-run but only if they are signed up for the event. We’ve also learned that AVE/BP Racing will, nonetheless, have some course marking along the way to reassure racers that they are on the course. What type of markers, has not yet been announced, but according to Peralta, “They will be unmistakable and easy to find and unique to us.”

A new era, at least for AVE/Baja Promotions, begins in 2016, on how their courses will be laid out. Peralta was asked what effect he thinks this new move will have on his entries? He stated, “I will have either stepped on my ‘Johnson’ big-time or might have made the right decision, at least for our races here. I believe it will help tremendously our series because it will avoid the shenanigans we have been encountering here in the past six to eight months. We have to do something. I’ve also been suggesting this to other promoters to do likewise because I can see where they could solve a lot of their problems, especially when dealing with heavy spectator traffic. I know BITD and SNORE and MORE and others have one set of problems while SCORE has others. This GPS racing, I think will help.”

The 2016 AVE/Baja Promotions Series begins January 23, with the running of the PURE #1 – “150” in Cal City. Other dates are March 19, April 23, July 16 (a night race), September 10 and the PURE #6 “200” – October 22, all in California City, at the AVE Ranch, 138th & Proctor.

The best five (5) out of the six finishes will be computed for year-end championships in the Overall points and by Class p[oints championships. One requirement; a racer must compete in at least three (3) events to qualify for championship titles.

Two other UTV races are also on AVE/BP schedule but do not count for the Series points. Instead, they count for the ENSENADA CUP. These two events will run in Punta Banda, Baja California, Mexico, inside Ejido Coronel Esteban Cantu. The dates are; May 28 and October 1. Course marking and GPS will be used for that event, which runs in combination with the Motorcycle and ATV Gran Prix events also on the same date, but at different times

For more details please visit www.averacing.com or contact info@averacing.com
15-16-2016-UTV-MC-Push-Nov30.JPG
-

Steve0

Reaction
Lou,
At the last race (Pure 250) our GPS went out. We would have been screwed if it wasn't for the course markers. What about racers who don't have multiple GPS units? Looking around at the last race, seemed to be almost everyone.

Just food for thought...

ACME

Reaction
New to UTV's but not desert racing and had planned on running a few PURE events in 16 to get our feet wet and up to speed. Not a fan of basically GPS only racing and will consider that in our decision on where to race.

Lucho

Reaction
SteveO and ACME, you two make very good arguments and we are certainly taking them into consideration. Jeff at ACME wrote an excellent letter to us that we will be reviewing and hope to give him and others a quick answer.

You should know that overmarking our courses has never been the problem with us. But lately, we've had huge sections of our marked course taken down and worst yet, re-routed. That's where the danger comes in for us..
We will use the GPS as the mainframe for our 2016 Series, but as we stated, there will be comforting markers on the course that will be unique to us, easily recognizable by our racers, yet impossible for people to undermine, take out or reroute. Stand by.
Lou

Lucho

Reaction
New to UTV's but not desert racing and had planned on running a few PURE events in 16 to get our feet wet and up to speed. Not a fan of basically GPS only racing and will consider that in our decision on where to race.
Jeff I sent you a reply on the private chat. Thanks.

Lucho

Reaction
Lou,
At the last race (Pure 250) our GPS went out. We would have been screwed if it wasn't for the course markers. What about racers who don't have multiple GPS units? Looking around at the last race, seemed to be almost everyone.

Just food for thought...

Steve O. send me your e-mail and I can send you an extensive reply that I think will shed more light on the subject matter. Thanks.
Lou

Lucho

Reaction
Lou,

Just food for thought...

I understand and that is as bad as losing and engine, breaking a belt, a transmission that has locked up. That's part of racing, so your GPS is just as important to the car and the race as every other component in your vehicle. But we understand that anything new takes time for people to buy in.
It took me a while to agree to put a radio in my old Class 10 back in the late 70s. Today, it would be absurd to race in the desert without communications, same as carrying your cell phone. It's all evolving the sport. Good comment. Thanks.

ACME

Reaction
Lou:

I appreciate your PM'd response.

I understand the theory of GPS racing but believe it is unsafe for the competitors and any other non race traffic using or chasing cars in the area based on the following points:

- Driving a car at speed with only a GPS is a dicey affair and not having ribbon etc.. and trusting someone else's plot is dangerous. Have you ever had a plot (your own, PCI's or a sanctioning bodies) show a straight line only to have a dog leg or an "S" not show up? I have at 90MPH in daylight, night and in the dust. Ever have one go blank or lose a section for no reason? Now imagine that scenario in the dust and racers feeling more comfortable as the plot is all they have, then place a car changing a flat on that dog leg. As for competency with GPS: FYI my co-dogs at the time had logged more miles in cars, trucks form class 9 to Class 1 than most UTV only racers have driven their cars in total. One has a B1k trophy all the way to Cabo where he co'd the whole way, so they are competent and both think this is a bad idea...

- How do people not racing know where the course is? A fellow Checker to you and friend of ours, raced his class 10 at an MDR race in Barstow a few years back. Marked course and two guys on bikes that were unaware of the event and riding to Slash X from Dale Evens; cut across the course and the resulting accident cost a life and has changed that driver forever... Now you have few, if any markers indicating an event which could increase the possibility that non race car traffic may be on or cross the same trail. Having not raced in CC since my ATV days, I'm admittedly not an expert; but I know trails used to intersect all over that place and play riders are there all the time per my friend, who's family still resides in the area.

- How do people retrieve a broken race car or emergency responders get out to a spot without a second GPS? What if there is an accident and the GPS is damaged or unavailable to the driver and the co driver cannot respond with a location other than upside down and my co driver is hurt. How do racers continue or return to the SF w/o any GPS in the event of a failure and how can their safety be assured?

- What happens in the event of a GPS failure? We had a total GPS failure (only thing to have an issue) at the SF 250 and still managed to be the fastest car in our class to go the whole 259 miles by doing it on ribbon and markers.

We have no issue with racing off the GPS and have raced the 500/1000, San Felipe, Parker and others off the PCI GPS plots w/o prerunning as mentioned in my correspondence. We have had a few races in the last 5-6 years where we have been able to preun, but most of the time we have not had the time and have raced blind solely off markers and the plot. This new direction will penalize teams who do not have the time or resources to prerun as they do not have the default of markers to watch for turns or danger. I hope whoever is making the plot are as competent on marking the dangers, double dangers, corners and road crossings as the PCI plots have been for BITD & SCORE. I've raced off a number of plots from various sources and some that we have received are downright scary, even if you know the area or have prerun.

GPS racing has been a hot topic on RDC over the years and almost no one believes blind faith in the GPS is a good thing in dust; and that is with a marked course where you still have the option of reading markers and for turns, dangers and terrain. Many races have ended and racers hurt because the GPS plot didn't show a washout corner, rock or ditch that came up the day before a race or because someone's idea of prerunning at 30 mph through a hole and a race car hitting it at 50-60 is vastly different. Personally I think the best option is to over mark a course, offer a directional only GPS plot and do not allow any prerunning or do a single controlled prerun parade lap as a group on Friday like SNORE does. Let the guys race who can read terrain and make the most of it and remove any prerunning advantage just like a district race.

Personally, we would be willing to pay an additional $20-50 for both a marked and GPS plotted course if the cost of materials/labor due to vandalism or theft is an issue and believe some competitors would feel similar. We had planned on a few PURE events in '16 and will consider our options and make our decisions for racing and hope you and your competitors consider these thoughts when deciding what is right for themselves. Thanks for your time.