Average Joe Build for Mexican 1000

Nole Quiring

Reaction
Here goes, this might just be rehashing my other thread in the vintage section (for now) but a couple people suggested a build thread so I might as well get an official place to post about my truck and give people a place to give suggestions. I'm open to all, even the one's that say "Why the hell are you doing that!??"

I'll start with a brief history of me and the truck in case anyone's interested.

Just turned 43 and realized my brother and I have talked about racing in Mexico since we were kids, but we've never done it.

I've got this 79 F250 I picked up when my oldest son turned 16, but he wrecked it after having his license for 2 weeks. It sat in the shop getting fixed over the winter, and he wrecked it again the day after he got it back on the road.

K1SI5ax.jpg

Now its mine again, I'm tired of fixing things that I didn't break.

Its been sitting in the shop since last spring and I needed to sell it or do something. Seemed to make sense to me to shoot for the big NORRA race. I'm giving myself til 2020, I want to be entered by then. If its driveable and I have some free cash, maybe I'll take it down for 2019, but that might be too optimistic.

I know a long bed might not be ideal, and I've had a few people here comment to that effect. I had some free time while I'm trying to sort out the direction I want to go with it, so I figured what the hell let's chop it.

20180213_101536.jpg

Starting the cuts, I'm removing 16" from the front of the bed.

20180213_151804.jpg
20180213_152737.jpg

Salvaging the bed front and then tacking it back together. This was a hassle, but cheaper than buying a repop. You might see this is a theme with this build. Plus, I do want to retain some function to the bed so I didn't want to go with just bolt-on bed sides.

20180214_155535.jpg

20180214_125339.jpg

Nole Quiring

Reaction
The box is mostly done now, just some cleanup and finish work. On to the frame. A short box pickup is huge money around here, and I had this one already.

I had to get some new tires so I threw them on the old skinny 8 lug rims just to keep the truck rolling and so I can build around them. They are 315/75r16.

20180216_133029.jpg

Time to make the cut of no return.....

20180216_154608.jpg

What you see is when a guy has limited tools and no helper. Two floor jacks and cross your fingers. The frame widens as it goes from the cab to the 3rd member so I had to pinch the rear and flare the front about 1.5" to get them to match back up. Since I was too lazy to strip it down to a bare frame I decided to lap the front 8" into the rear section. I cut the top and bottom off the front section of frame rail before lapping it inside the rear, the theory is basically creating a fish plate with the frame itself. Time will tell if that was a stupid way to do it, I'll know when/if the frame folds up on me. I'm thinking about running a few "insurance" bolts through the connection. I'm also hoping the bed cage to cab cage connection helps cancel out any negative effects.

20180216_154557.jpg

Back together.

20180216_172129.jpg

20180220_160119.jpg

20180220_174421.jpg

20180216_173457.jpg

I ordered some new wider wheels today, and found a place to bring in some 2" DOM to get started on my cage. Nobody local stocks it, so twiddling my thumbs now. My plan is to build it in three sections: cab cage that ties into the side of the frame rails, bed cage that is removeable but ties into cab above rear window, and engine cage that is removeable but ties into cab at firewall.

Nothing else to report at the moment, will update or add info as time allows.

Zambo

Reaction
Fun stuff, I’ll be watching.

Nole Quiring

Reaction
So I'm looking to get a few of the major things I'll need to build my basic cage structure around. Fuel cell and seats are first on my list. Can anyone recommend what I should look for to get started? Please don't suggest custom made, I doubt its in the budget!

I'm looking for two reasonable quality seats, and a cell to fit between the factory frame rails behind the axle.

Zambo

Reaction
Look online for some NRG seats. They are shell seats like Sparco but way less expensive. I’ve used them in two builds with no problems. You can get a pair with mounting brackets and sliders for about 500 bucks or less.

ATL makes a sportsman 44 gallon cell with a roto molded bladder for about a grand that is legal for NORRA. If I recall it’s about 27” square and about 17” tall.

Nole Quiring

Reaction
I wish I had something to report today, but no progress due to having 4 kids that need to be driven everywhere for activities. All I accomplished was gutting the cab in preparation for the cage work. I'm heading back to work in a couple days so nothing is going to happen for a week or so until I get home again. On the plus side, I now have two sponsors haha. One of my major suppliers for work said he'd contribute and my brother said he'd paint the truck for me. Small steps......

Mark Stahl

Reaction
Looking good Nole. Get at least a 40 gallon cell. You need it for the leg every year that starts in San Ignacio and ends at the pavement above Loreto, 175 miles plus.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

Chubs

Reaction
Looking great so far! You shouldn't have any problem w your splice, if properly prepped & welded....I wouldn't drill any holes for bolts. Great job on the bed to!

Nole Quiring

Reaction
Looking great so far! You shouldn't have any problem w your splice, if properly prepped & welded....I wouldn't drill any holes for bolts. Great job on the bed to!

Well.....the question is whether or not I have it properly prepped and welded. I just kinda thought run some bolts through for "insurance".

Nole Quiring

Reaction
Looking good Nole. Get at least a 40 gallon cell. You need it for the leg every year that starts in San Ignacio and ends at the pavement above Loreto, 175 miles plus.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app
Doesn't look like much yet, but everyone that has come by the shop says "Leave it as is and drive it." First they said I was crazy to cut it, then they said it looked good after I did it. Now they're telling me I'm crazy to want to trash it racing...... can't win, so not gonna listen to em.

Thanks for the tip on the cell capacity, that was going to be one of my next questions anyway. Sitting in my hotel room 5 hours from home. Wish I was wrenching....

Mark Stahl

Reaction
We need some updates Nole. Hope your making progress.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Nole Quiring

Reaction
Dear Lord 2" is hard with a manual bender! Its been almost 2 years since I was here asking questions about building a truck, I had to think long and hard before posting tonight. NORRA is still haunting me but work and all the other stuff has been keeping me away. I'm trying again now, hope to get some work done on my truck so I can eventually make it to a race. I'm not going to say "See you in 20XX", as I think I've realized that if it happens, it'll happen when it does. If that makes sense.

I'm going to try picking away at this thing to get it done while juggling the other things I need to keep going.

jon coleman

Reaction
2"?, i did 1.75 dom .120 manualy, im still not right, looks good, i was thinking of choping my c20, but rear trail arms nixed it, im just gonna go ford ;)

Bert is my name

Reaction
If using a jd2 bender swag offroad makes a bracket to adapt an air over hydraulic ram to the bender. Gets rid of the need for solid mounted bender and huge floor space to swing a big cheater bar.

Nole Quiring

Reaction
Rule book says I need 2" so that's what I got. Its slightly thicker than .120, gonna have to buy thinner. The bender did it, but it felt like it was definitely at is limit. I'm not strong enough to do this by hand if I have to use this tube.......

I've got a pro tools, similar I think to the jd2. After trying it out and doing my first bend I started looking at the hydraulic conversion!

Nole Quiring

Reaction
I'm in western Canada. Very far from where I need to be. Checked out the classifieds here, dang I wish I could make a road trip.....

Bert is my name

Reaction
There are a couple shops building pre bent cage kits for that truck. They have various options for the cab cage. You can order a pre bent and notched cab cage for your truck.

Or say to hell with it and do mitre cuts with bulkheads added. The mitre thing is easier for me than bending tube. I'm a commercial electrician. I bend pipe all day every day. I'd rather do miters because its easier to fix a mistake. Yes cutting bulkhead slugs is no fun. But you can buy pre cut rounds cheap enough to make it a viable alternative. Either route you go takes time.

Nole Quiring

Reaction
Everyone I've talked to said no I don't do 2", or no I won't ship to you. I'm in it now, I'll do it myself. Guess we'll see if I can do it right. Not much support for this type of thing where I am, any cages built are usually made from scraps of sprinkler pipe and emt.