AWD Brenthel Trophy Truck

Jammminjay

RDC Crypto
legacy-4wp-desert-showdown-qualifying-race-dezert-11.jpeg

AWD Brenthel Trophy Truck makes its debut at the 2022 Legacy Desert Showdown and so far has qualified third with Johnathan Brenthel behind the wheel. Not too much information on this truck as they have been pretty quiet about it. But interested to see how it will stack up against Mason AWD trucks this year.

Hopefully, we can do a feature on it soon!

michael.gonzalez

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
I am excited to see the details!

I also see they shifted from Brenthel Racecars to Brenthel Racetrucks.

Subtle, but maybe they are leaving their buggy stuff on the back burner. They did the Class 1 back in 2015/2016 but haven't made many other race buggies since then to my knowledge. Their recon 4 set prerunner buggies seem to sell though!

Advertising supports this site

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Website
www.eleusisdigitalcanvas.com
Saw them off the start line. They had a blue flashing light on the back. So they must not be confident. Haha

Mike

jcorsico

RDC Crypto
It’s way to quiet here. What’s the scoop? Come on someone has some info
It's based on their TT/6100 chassis, meaning it's pretty different than a Mason 4WD. Some of the key differences I can think of:

1) Brenthel is front engine, rather than mid-engine

2) Brenthel uses a Fortin front diff, rather than a Mason in-house unit

3) Brenthel uses a Fortin transmission and transfer case. The Mason trucks use various transmissions, including xTrac and in-house Mason. I think all the Mason trucks (but I'm not sure - Robert would have to confirm) use a Mason in-house transfer case.

Similar to the Mason, it uses a portal axle setup in the front uprights.

It's a nice truck.

fastfelix

RDC Crypto
It's based on their TT/6100 chassis, meaning it's pretty different than a Mason 4WD. Some of the key differences I can think of:

1) Brenthel is front engine, rather than mid-engine

2) Brenthel uses a Fortin front diff, rather than a Mason in-house unit

3) Brenthel uses a Fortin transmission and transfer case. The Mason trucks use various transmissions, including xTrac and in-house Mason. I think all the Mason trucks (but I'm not sure - Robert would have to confirm) use a Mason in-house transfer case.

Similar to the Mason, it uses a portal axle setup in the front uprights.

It's a nice truck.
Thanks

Robert Mason

RDC Crypto
Yes all of ours use our tcase. The tcase and front diff are one unit. We build our own trans, rear diff and portals including all of the gears and internals. Some guys do run the Xtrac box which is a proven setup. Good luck to the guys over at Brenthel. Im sure there is a lot of development to be done. It took us 5 years to get ours where they are today.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Website
www.eleusisdigitalcanvas.com
Yes at least they were racing. I guess only the people racing every race can comment? There goes most the post on here. Haha

I was just teasing. Wasn’t meant to be a slam on them. I just found it funny that they had a flashing blue light.

Mike

partybarge_pilot

RDC Crypto
Skiving FTW! LOL, I'm pretty sure they farm the gear cutting out. It takes a lot of equipment to do it right.

And no you cant wire a R&P. You could do it in a die sinker, but that would be highly impractical.

johndjmix

RDC Crypto
I’m surprised no one has gone with a hydraulically driven front hubs with a pump somewhere on the trans. No front diff. No t case. A lot less moving parts and “softens” the hits to the parts.

Too heavy? Too much loss?

—john

Robert Mason

RDC Crypto
Skiving FTW! LOL, I'm pretty sure they farm the gear cutting out. It takes a lot of equipment to do it right.

And no you cant wire a R&P. You could do it in a die sinker, but that would be highly impractical.
We manufacture all of our spur gears in house. We did some early on with our EDM but it is not practical with the quantities that we have to build. We do not manufacture the spiral bevels at our shop.

Robert Mason

RDC Crypto

The heat treating was the only process that was subcontracted.

firedog

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
I’m surprised no one has gone with a hydraulically driven front hubs with a pump somewhere on the trans. No front diff. No t case. A lot less moving parts and “softens” the hits to the parts.

Too heavy? Too much loss?

—john
We have 2 Fire Trucks with hydraulic driven front tires. It only works to 18mph then they automatically disengage when the system is turned on. EZ Trac is the company.