• Forum membership has its advantages....

On Topic Awesome Race Coverage of the Mint 400

pjc

Chairman
Dang, this was cool. RJ was a superb MC. BB great too. Well done Martelli’s, even if your political views need adjusting.

Gotta say, when Off-Road.com did realtime results at the Baja 2000 and then video of the finish of the Baja 1000 in 2002, we truly envisioned that what I saw today would happen. Again, congrats Martelli Brothers for making this happen. Your efforts and work for our sport are super appreciated.

Congrats to all winners and finishers. Guud stuff.

Jack

Maybe the coverage improved for the TT but after the sad display Saturday I didn't even bother trying to watch.

green787

Could "someone" elaborate on what's wrong with the Martelli's political POV.....??? And how that might affect coverage of the race....

green787

I really DID enjoy the coverage from my studio/garage.... At first I had the Mint400 feed up on the 3 big screens with the sound muted with Fishgistics in another window with the sound ON.... There was a delay enough to listen or watch the Fishgistics feed if it sounded exciting although the Fishgistics feed didn't seem to have the high resolution of the MINT400 feed, so then I would switch windows to the Mint400 feed to see what just happened like an instant replay in high resolution with the helicopter following the cars on the infield.... I could unmute the Mint400 feed if I needed to hear the "world perspective" on off road racing..... I prefer the "regional" point of view.... BTW the Fishgistics green screen really looked proffesional and made it easy to watch.... But I did put up NASCAR on one of the screens with the sound muted because everyone was chatting about Jimmy Johnson....
Later the MINT400 announcing stepped up a bit towards the end of the race when everyone figured out what was going on..... And "we have a race"..... (you have to be patient)...
As was mentioned, even F1 doesn't chase the cars with helicopters 12 feet off the deck....
I was surprised that the helicopters could fly at dusk, and the coverage of Rob Mac nerfing Jenson Button was spectacular...!!!!
I noticed a lot of Europeans commenting on the Youtube chat....
The people that complain about Saturday's coverage weren't there tackling the logistics of it all....
Make no mistake, this is in it's infancy, and it's GROWTH that the big league notices.... F1 is saturated... NASCAR is saturated.... off road is growing.
This could become a mega huge spectator sport.......

Last edited:

Power Monkey

Coverage was Impressive. The film/ production team nailed it. Well done!

The long shots across the dry lake were awesome!

pjc

Chairman
Maybe the coverage improved for the TT but after the sad display Saturday I didn't even bother trying to watch.
I watched just a small part on Saturday. It was on in my shop for the entire show Sunday.

y2kbaja

Saturday was lacking a little bit. Started late (well after the bikes left then was late on time, 10:30 instead of 10). Then cut off at 4 when they said they would with not even the winners across the line yet.
Sunday was improved and the 2nd race was koh quality if not better. Would have been 5 stars had it started when the morning race started. I stopped watching after the commentators signed off, did they keep broadcasting?

vegasloki

As was mentioned, even F1 doesn't chase the cars with helicopters 12 feet off the deck....
Given the fact that in many places on an F1 circuit they'd have an issue with the grandstands and spectators its good they don't. And the fact an F1 car is just over 200 mph at speed or faster than most any helo on the planet. The announcers were also pretty ill informed about other forms of racing. For example when they were talking about telemetry and said the TT used more than F1. LOL, not. In an F1 ECU alone there are 300 sensors and 1000 math channels transmitting in real time a couple GB of data during a single race. That doesn't count any of the other data for vehicle dynamics.

The shots on the stream were great, loved the photography. The chaps on the broadcast did well but they needed some more depth and a spotter guide so they knew who was who. All in all I thought they did well and would tune in again to see them. As for becoming more mainstream it's just too long for all but us diehards to watch at one sitting.

freddy

As a European, coverage of TT race was beyond great, only drawback was the (somewhat) late race start.

Saturday was lacking a little bit. Started late (well after the bikes left then was late on time, 10:30 instead of 10). Then cut off at 4 when they said they would with not even the winners across the line yet.
Sunday was improved and the 2nd race was koh quality if not better. Would have been 5 stars had it started when the morning race started. I stopped watching after the commentators signed off, did they keep broadcasting?
Yes, they continued broadcasting the finish line stage for well after the announcers signed off. They just left a camera on like at KoH, but also had audio. The stage announcer was doing interviews.

Bricoop

Given the fact that in many places on an F1 circuit they'd have an issue with the grandstands and spectators its good they don't. And the fact an F1 car is just over 200 mph at speed or faster than most any helo on the planet. The announcers were also pretty ill informed about other forms of racing. For example when they were talking about telemetry and said the TT used more than F1. LOL, not. In an F1 ECU alone there are 300 sensors and 1000 math channels transmitting in real time a couple GB of data during a single race. That doesn't count any of the other data for vehicle dynamics.

The shots on the stream were great, loved the photography. The chaps on the broadcast did well but they needed some more depth and a spotter guide so they knew who was who. All in all I thought they did well and would tune in again to see them. As for becoming more mainstream it's just too long for all but us diehards to watch at one sitting.
If you've ever been to Austin for the GP, its pretty amazing how close their chopper gets to the fans. Pretty much everyone was caught off guard the first time it buzzed us.

A-Tech_Racing

Since I could not go this year, the live stream was a really good alternative.Got to see far more of the racing than being there in person. RJ was like an encyclopedia of info, I was impressed with his knowledge overall. I wish they would shuttle people into the other areas on the course for spectating, the spectating areas are pretty boring. Miss the old days when you could just drive anywhere you want to watch from, and then move around from spot to spot. Maybe they could shuttle people over to those viewing areas instead of allowing vehicle access?

sb4pro

They did an awesome job with both days . I watched on the YouTube feed cause it has chat and there was lots of newbies who appreciated having a few of us old dawgs on there to help answer questions . RJ was his usual knowledgeable self and Bob Bowers what can you say about him , he’s probably forgotten more about desert than most of the people in the chat room .