axel location

prpseats

Reaction
just a quick question, whats better axel on top of leafs or axel on bottom or dose it even matter? I dont care about lift, just is any one better than the other?

93 banshee toomy kit
89 mazda xcab 2.2L re spliend(preloaded) t bars 2 inch body lift

prpseats

Reaction
less spring wrap with the axel under the spring?? huh

93 banshee toomy kit
89 mazda xcab 2.2L re spliend(preloaded) t bars 2 inch body lift

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Elaborate Jefe.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

jeff

Reaction
Springs below axle. Sorry if the above post was confusing. I always refer to it as spring under or spring over... not axle over or axle under. In every application I've ever worked with, be it my own S-10, Dakota, or Bronco, and especially on short wheelbase Jeeps, the spring pack mounted beneath the axle has proven to wrap up less under acceleration or in loose surfaces, such as sand. Spring over conversions are pretty popular amongst the Jeep crowd and one of the biggest problems post "SOA" swap is spring wrap. Some call it wheel hop - call it whatever you want. It's a similar condition to block kits... the taller the block, the more leverage the axle has on the springs and the more likely it is to wrap up.

Aloha

boltonbros

Reaction
yes i have a simialar question cause it seems it would be easier to put the springs on the top were you stock springs sat and just put tracktion bars on. would it be just as strong as putting the springs on bottom?

when in doubt throttle it out

OGCamber

Reaction
Well, aside from the fact that the axle has less leverage on the main leaf when it is sitting directly on top of it (hence the reduction of axle wrap) when you put the leaf pack under the axle that means that you can use a longer spring pack with more arc to it. And when you use a longer leaf pack it does a couple of things. First it keeps the pack from being able to go into a negative arch when the suspension is compressed and this helps to make the reaction of the pack more predictable. That's because the closer a leaf gets to going into a negative arch, the more it wants to snap violently back into its natural shape. But as the leaf gets longer, the less it wants to go into a negative arch when it is compressed. (just try and picture the axle moving up and down in your head. if it compresses 6 inches on a short spring vs. a long spring) And as the spring gets longer, the less violent its rebound becomes and it doesn't make the truck feel like the back of the truck is bucking all over the place because the spring has a more controlled movement back to its natural position. I know that there are people on this this that can give you a more technical explanation, but that's basically how it works.

Courtney Halowell
Editor, StreetTrucks Magazine
www.streettrucksmag.com

drtdevil93

Reaction
under the axle is better.

-less spring wrap up
-more arc (moves better)
-more uptravel possible
-easier to setup a tracbar or wishbone with spring under
-less negative arch on spring (longer life)
-lower potential ride height

erik

boltonbros

Reaction
what kind of springs shoud i get for putting under my axel and where can i get them?

when in doubt throttle it out

yotatech

Reaction
since your talking a little about spring wrap/axle hop. I was wondering will a spring pack that is say 10 yrs old that are stock, have more wrap than a new pack? Because its older and worn?

jeff

Reaction
And if you need them shipped to Hawaii let me know.... :)

Aloha