axle seal replacement

hxckidd

Reaction
So the axle seals on my rangers 8.8 are done. How difficult is it to replace the seals. I have read a article on how to do it but i think i remember someone on here saying that its a pain to do. Thanks you for any help you can give me.

mattrick8888

Reaction
just a note for everyone, he is talking about the axle end seals, not the pinion and diff cover seal.

Tomack

Reaction
They are not bad at all to do! The whole thing should take about an hour. Do you have a aftermarket or is it stock?

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Seals are easy...bearings can be a major PIA. I had to replace the seals so I decided while I have the diff cover off and ave to change all the fluids I might as well do the bearings while I was at it since it is only an extra 20 bucks...3 days, a few broken bearing pullers, and $100 to have some guy come oxy acetylene torch out the bearings and I was dialed. The bearings were the biggest PIA I ahve ever had to deal with...and I work on a lot of stuff.

Motorider

Reaction
The night before ROR, I replaced the bearings and seals. It took me 4 hours to do. Since you have to pull the axle's to get at the bearings, it get's a little bit harder, because you have to release the c-clips from the differential. Other than normal tools, hammer, screwdriver, sockets, you can go to AutoZone, and pick up a bearing puller and a slide hammer. It makes getting those little buggers out pretty easy. However, they don't always come out, and like Kritter said, you have to find some way to cut them out. If you have any questions along the way, don't hesitate to ask.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I broke more then one slide hammer using the bearing puller attachment...