Axle wrap

Project1500

Reaction
Truck is a late model 1500 with stock springs w/overload and 2" block.
I have a Currie Ford 9" extra heavy duty housing, 31 spline axles, 4.56 gears, detroit locker.
Motor at flywheel im guessing is pushing 280hp - 350tq (Stock is 255hp-325tq)

Problems is whenever I gas it pretty hard (3/4 throttle) on dry pavement I get bad axle wrap. When on wet pavement I dont have to gas it that hard and the rear gets really bad axle wrap. I dont think I should be getting hardly any axle wrap if any from this setup. What could be wrong?

Also my driveshaft has almost a 1/4 turn of slop in it. I know some is required for the locker not to engage all the time but is this much to much?

Thanks in advance

hoeker

Reaction
sounds like excessive backlash in your ring and pinion. this has no affect on your wheel hop situation, you can try an anti wrap bar on the axle, but really the first thing to do is loose the block, and any factory blocks that might be there.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

Some are born great, some achieve greatness,
and some have greatness thrust upon them.

ntsqd

Reaction
Try this, either mentally or physically pull a string from the front spring eye to the rear spring eye (not the bushing on/in the frame). Notice how far away from the spring the axle housing centerline is. This distance is the leverage that the axle has to twist the spring. If you make this distance shorter, the housing will have less leverage to twist the spring.

Loose the blocks.

TS

I used to swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

Kbach66

Reaction
Just curious....is this what you're planning on running 37" projects on?????

From your previous post:

"My truck will be able handle the 37's, I got the power and gears to make up for the increased size."

"I got the suspension to handle the 37's, I got the gears for that tire size,and I have plenty of power."

jeff

Reaction
He's building a street queen pavement pounder... not a prerunner. For street queen use it'll work fine. Take this thread over to <A target="_blank" HREF=http://FullsizeChevy.com>FullsizeChevy.com</A> and you'll find that people will be more interested in your project.

Aloha

fathead1

Reaction
way to help a guy out,
maybe we should have a questionaire before people can ask questions. Maybe these can be on it.
1. will the car/truck that you are asking the question about ever see dirt
2. have you ever worked on a car before
3. is your question about a product that is offered from two different companies

Then we could eliminate the post that seem to waste some peoples "pressious" time.

Lets not forget that the reason BFG, Optima, Ford, Chevy, Ect.. put any money into desert racing is because people will want their products for the street. Even if, god forbid, they don't see dirt.

jeff

Reaction
You obviously aren't too familiar with FullsizeChevy.com. If you've got fullsize Chevy questions (non race related) that is the best place to find your answer. The boards over there are packed with guys running lifted 2wd GM trucks and they are always eager to answer questions. Project1500 will have better luck getting an audience over there than he will here if his goal is to build a pavement pounder.

When he was asked a serious question (in an attempt to answer his original question) he responded with the following: The tires are going on a 2002 silverado 2wd 4.8L 10" whiplash kit with custom powder coating cherry red and 5" and 3" stacked block in the rear, 373 gear ratio, Fiberglass fenders, with a K&N filter (it gave me 15 horsepower for real). It wont have a problem handling the tires at all! It was setup so well and it has coilovers!!!

Sure he's kidding... but if he doesn't want to take advantage of the knowledge on these boards why should anyone waste their "pressious" time trying to answer his questions?

Aloha

Project1500

Reaction
I Didnt think the 2" blocks could cause such bad axle wrap. Im going to take them out this weekend and see if that helps. I dont want to get an anti wrap/traction bar because I would loose articulation. Shorter springs would not help in the desert either. I am getting a set of deavers soon (thin leaves) with resevoirs mounted on top of the leaves going to a bed cage that I am going to fab up with a buddy. Were in the process of doing a bed cage right now on my friends truck. Hopefully that setup will eliminate my axle wrap completely. They have triple wrapped ends so should eliminate it. Do you think that setup would eliminate the axle wrap or might I need a wishbone? Im thinking my currie axle might have a problem.

The east coast fullsizechevy crew would not know what the heck im taking about you guys would. If you could help me out thanks. Oh ya this is going to be a desert truck completely in the future as of now Its both town and desert vehicle.

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
I think the problem is in the rear end. I have had blocks and deavers, I had some axle wrap in the dirt with blocks but nothing like you are experiencing. Call Currie. You should not need a wishbone with the triple wrap deavers, I never had a problem. Also you wont lose articulation with properly built traction bars.

Project1500

Reaction
I will call up currie its just people dont like to admit there is problems with there products so I thought I would ask you guys. About the traction bars I know you can fab some with heim joints and keep the articulation if done correctly but I was suspectiong he was talking about off the shelf fabtech ones or something.

hoeker

Reaction
what's "off the shelf"??? 1st lesson in off road racing, etc. there is no such thing as off the shelf. this is why our sport is so expensive.

i don't see how a rear end problem can cause axle wrap. your springs can cause it, your blocks can augment it. if your planning on going to deavers, don't worry about it until you switch, sounds like deaver makes a good spring, should no longer be an issue after you switch. if it is going to be a season of riding before you change springs antiwrap bars can take care of it without limiting wheel travel, and you can make them pretty cheap. rod ends on one end, and rubber on the other.

Project1500

Reaction
"you can try an anti wrap bar on the axle"

I read that post as if you were talking about the (off the shelf) traction bars they sell for street queen trucks. I know there is no off the shelf products for offroad racing and thats why its so expensive. Thats why I dont have the issue revolved because of money and time.

I will post what happens when I remove the blocks.

singlehanded

Reaction
are you gonna have 6.50s gears later this week because you already jumped from 373 to 456 overnight. And also your block shrunk an inch since your other post.

get this guy off the board he is obviosly not interested in advice just entertaining himself and wasting space.

my 2cents

midnight landscaper working overtime and I'm full throttle I'm full throttle tonight

Project1500

Reaction
I was joking earlier about that being my truck. Got off to a bad start trying to forget about it. This is a serious post and would like to keep it related to the topic. Thanks

drtdevil93

Reaction
hey ross: theres a picture of you in my energy suspension urethane catalog!! i think i might have to scan it and post it.

erik

boltonbros

Reaction
"PROJECT1500" what is it your trying to do. all these guys keep giving you great advise and you just keep switching your words around. get your story straight then come back and ask sensable questions. ohh yeah go buy some deavers, problem solved
"take off you hoser"

when in doubt throttle it out

hoeker

Reaction
yep, that's me. my truck was white the first 2 years i raced it. even my contact at energy was suprised they made my picture bigger than randy lajoi! last year was the switch to yellow when superlift came on board. i really need to find out how many copies energy made of that catalog, they use the same one for 2 years!

Project1500

Reaction
Took the blocks out and the axle wrap isnt as bad but its still there. I called up currie and they said come down and they can take a look at my pinion slop and check out the axle wrap problem. I will see how it goes from there then I am going to get the deavers. Thanks for the help.