AZ racers take note - Sonoran Desert Emergency

Paige

Reaction
<font color=red>OFF HIGHWAY VEHICLE USERS MEETING</font color=red>

Do you use improved or unimproved dirt roads/jeep trails in Pima County to: Hunt, Camp, Prospect, 4x4, or Explore?

Under The Pima County, Sonoran Desert Conservation Plan(SDCP), your rights to use private, county, state and federal lands for these activities are in danger. The Pima County Board of Supervisors, support this plan and will decide this issue soon. If you wish to learn more about this proposed land closure, the abuse of your trust and how you can help stop these regulations, please attend the upcoming meeting. Pima County officials will be in attendance to answer questions and maps will be available for you designate areas you wish to remain open to recreational uses. Please take this opportunity to participate in the SDCP decisions.

<font color=yellow>WHAT: Off Highway Vehicle Users Meeting.

WHERE: Fraternal Order of Police Lodge,
3445 N. Dodge Blvd. The Big Room.

WHEN: Thursday, March 21st , 7:00PM until 9:00PM
</font color=yellow>

Background Info this is a copy of an urgent request sent to CORVA - - - - - -
I am contacting you and the California Off Road Vehicle Association to request assistance in the matter of the Pima County, Sonoran Desert Conservation Plan (S.D.C.P.). This is a plan designed by The Coalition for Sonoran Desert Protection. The coalition is comprised of 41 environmental organizations including The Center for Biological Diversity, Earth 1st! , Defenders of Wildlife, The Nature Conservancy, Desert Watch and the Sierra Club. The Pima County Board of Supervisors has chosen to accept this plan and to fund its implementation. The S.D.C.P. will place eastern portion of Pima County, Arizona, under an Endangered Species Act, Section 10/Multiple Species Permit, issued by the United States Fish And Wildlife Service and enforced by Pima County authorities.

The Pima County government, with the intense pressure/support from The Coalition for Sonoran Desert Protection, is proposing to stop the development and use of over 85 percent of Eastern Pima County. This plan clearly targets housing development, industry, ranching, mining, hunting, OHV and other outdoor recreational uses. This plan will halt development and use on private and government properties alike. It is my understanding this is the largest attempt at this type of land grab in the United States. The area directly affected is over 1.8 million acres and growing. The environmental organizations have made their intentions clear, they intend to bring law suit under the ESA to close off more lands once this plan is approved and the permit is issued.

The Pima County government is presently doing everything in its power to exclude any public comment or inquires about the plan. An organization called Strategic Issues Management Group (S.I.M.G.), led by David Steele, has been hired by the Board of Supervisors to ramrod the SDCP public and committee meetings. S.I.MG. has repeatedly violated Arizona State laws and has been warned by the Pima Count Attorneys office of such violations. A company named Regional Environmental Consulting (RECON) led by Paul Fromer, was hired to perform the biological survey, draft the EIS and the Sec.10/muti Species conservation plan. RECON continually supplies flawed and fabricated, baseless information. Mr. Fromer led Aconservation@ efforts in Clark County, NV., San Antonio, Texas and numerous California areas. The Morrison Institute, an economic think tank canceled its contract with the county on March 7th. This cancellation was caused because most of the information they requested, to complete an economic report for the SDCP was never made available to them or was badly flawed. I have strong suspicions some evidence of endangered and threatened species may have been planted inside and outside the critical habitat areas and the practice is wide spread. These people are creating a plan, which will damage the environment not help it. The plan will attempt to use 47 Avulnerable@ and 8 threatened or endangered species to stop development in eastern Pima County.

The Pima County Administrator, Chuck Huckleberry and his assistant Maeveen Behan protect these companies and their activities through deception, obfuscation, and outright lies. The Pima County Administrators office has misrepresented to the State Auditor General how much money the county has spent so far on this plan and refuses to divulge this information. The State Auditor Generals office reported on what they call creative accounting practices and misuse of Federal funds. The County Administrators office also continually refuses to send public notice of public meetings and changes meeting dates and places on very short notice. At a meeting on March 6th, facilitated by SIMG, a pro conservation plan activist was arrested after pointing out county and SIMG violations of the state open meeting law. These people are out of control.

This plan is expected to cost Pima County five hundred million to three billion dollars within the next decade. This plan will be funded by higher property tax’ sales tax, bonds and users fees. Education will lose funding due to the loss of State Trust Land Sales. Law enforcement, transportation and community activities will lack proper funding due to the extravagant costs associated with this plan. Jobs will be lost and industry will leave due to the rising cost of doing business, and new industry will stay away

We need CORVAs experience, assistance and support to acquire funding to defeat this gross violation of our constitutional rights. We must educate the general public about the affects this plan will have on their quality of life and its cost. We can do this through a series of public information meetings and protests. We need to expose the pseudo science and corruption through legal avenues and have two lawyers who will work with us. We have access to one friendly radio station, which will support us on the air and one small newspaper publication. We have a nationally recognized economist who will work with us and is against the plan, but he needs funding to complete his study. We have thousands of people who will support us, but we must get the word to them.

We have scheduled a meeting for public land users on March 21, Mr. Jay Wally from the Paragon Foundation has offered to speak. Any representatives from CORVA are invited to attend and speak. Yesterday, I reserved an area in a large park, which includes a band shell and 18 booths for a Freedom/anti SDCP/ rally on May 11th and 12th. This area will accommodate 600 to 700 people with room for overflow. May 11th is the eighth anniversary of the W.T.C. attack. If you have any questions or recommendations please contact me at E-mail: [email]gly734@earthlink.net[/email]

Sincerely,

Glynn A. Burkhardt

<font color=yellow>Paige<font color=yellow>

Tim

Reaction
Paige, I may have missed it, but is this going on in Phoenix or Tucson? thanks, tim

choppekx

Reaction
The best thing that you can do is to get rid of Ed Pastor this November. He is the representative for all of Southern Arizona Currently. I live in Yuma, and we will be getting a new representative then, but Pastor will still be running I believe for the Tucson area. I have written several letters to him about off-road concerns and been basically told that he doesn't care about our side and the endangered species and lands must be protected at all possible costs. There is power in numbers, so if he realizes there are more people out there trying to save the deserts for the people he may get the idea, but I have had no luck with him.

Chris

Paige

Reaction
Actually I don't know =-( I'll try and find out - good question.

<font color=yellow>Paige<font color=yellow>

choppekx

Reaction
I would assume that they are talking about the Tucson area since Phoenix lies mostly in Maricopa county, while Tucson lies in Pima County. I think, but not completely sure that Pima county runs from east of Tucson on the east to about Casa Grande on the West. I have driven by the signs a hundred times, but don't remember exactly were they lie, but I am pretty sure that Pima County starts around Casa Grande and may go as far as the AZ-New Mexico border.

Chris

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
Tuscon is the HQ of both the CBD and The Wildlands Project. Both offices should be leveled! It sounds like you all are in deep [censored] down there with a corrupt County Commission to boot. In the end, you may be able to sue the county back. Document all the crap with changed meetings, lack of notice etc. There are often hard and fast, local if not state level statuates that govern such activities. Get a good lawyer fast to get the facts.

PJCinLV