B-Day gift for 8 yr old

Junior

Reaction
I don't know jack about RC cars. I am thinking of getting my son one. Jake has many RC cars but all of the kiddy type. What unit would you all recommend for a first timer? I am looking for something:

Electric (down time is a good thing)
Quality construction (it will be crashed alot)
Complete package (truck, remote etc)
Assembled unit.

Thanks in advance!

SDranger

Reaction
I Used to have a traxxas rustler i never managed to break it, it was fun and pretty cheap. Also its ready to run.

desertracer

Reaction
The rustler would be a great r/c car for an 8 year old, only thing you might want to look into is an electronic speed control. On my first car I had a Mechanical one and it wasn't as responsive and it tended to eat the batteries up a bit quicker not to mention it got pretty hot after a run. For around 100 or less you could get and inexpensive novak electronic speed control that you could take to another car if you decided to step up. One other part that I went through was steering servo's. If he is just learning to drive and hits a curb it could strip out the plastic gears-look into a low priced metal one to last a bit longer.

KitRacer

Reaction
or a servo saver, those things work great and are dirt cheap

SDranger

Reaction
There is an RTR kit on the same site that comes with an electronic speed control for $20 more. I just clicked on the cheepest one.

toyoter91

Reaction
hands down best ready to run kits are traxxas. they are all strong (flexable parts) when it comes to getting beat on (such as curbs or what not) . personally i would recomend the emaxx actually it will go anywhere and they are pretty damn hard to break. they come with a ESC (electronic speed control), and they come with servo savers built in i think.. only down side is it runs on two packs so you will need twice the batts for it but they are a ton of fun and you would be impressed at what it can do with out breaking... also one out of every three RC cars sold is a tmaxx or a emaxx so every hobby store has parts for them and the parts are cheep. I hope this helps.

Later

toyoter91

Reaction
oh yeah the emaxx is also has a two speed trans... if you do buy a car that doesnt come with a electronic speed control i would highly recomend getting novak as an aftermarket one. they have great support on there products and i have never had one fail (have had about 4 or 5). Laters

Junior

Reaction
Your help has been invaluable. Thanks.

martininsocal

Reaction
Junior- RC10T3. My older son has one and it has been basically industructible except when the hood fell on it and broke the eye off the upper rear shock. That was it, just the eye off the shock. Great handling, good parts, easily upgradeable, and a decent price for what you are getting.

BitorPerformance

Reaction
I agree ithe t3 is the best in performance handling and everybody has parts for it traxxas are good but there potential is limited in the handling , I used to race rc cars and for the money associated is the best they have a rtr kit that my younger brother bought and he has had good luck with it ... eventually they break no matter who makes them but everybody and there mother makes parts for the t3
those are my 2 cents not that they are worth much but that is my experience ...... losi might be another way to go!
also broken cars teach patience and give little kids something to learn GOod op. for some father son time

Junior

Reaction
Update!

I went with the Rustler. I got the car with electronic speed control, transmitter a good charger and two batteries for under $200. The kid was jazzed. We stickered it up, (less is more) then hit the nearest large paved lot. The car is plenty fast and we got about 20 minutes or so on a single battery, maybe 25. It will take a while for Jake to get a good handle on working it.

We will start messing with the suspension soon. First job will be to raise the front for that prerunner look! lol

Thanks again.

toyoter91

Reaction
congrats glad to hear he likes it... cant go wrong with that truck... have fun.