B@P recap

tapeworm

Reaction
Battle at Primm was the first race for myself in the new to me 9 car. I purchased Forest Creasey’s car back in April or May. I put about 50 miles on the car prior to B@P to figure out how to drive the thing since it was my first time ever in a swing axle and I didn’t want to look like a goon out there for my first race.

I drove out late Thursday night to Primm, not getting settled in until about 3 in the morning on Friday. With it being my first race I decided not to qualify so I could follow some people around and see what the pace is in this class. Tech went well on Friday and I attended the drivers meeting to get the info on the course. It was said that there were some really bad rain ruts running across the back stretch between miles 4 and 5 so I noted that and the new jump built in front of the hot pits. I went to bed early Friday night to prepare for Saturday.

I awoke Saturday morning and watched the prerun heat from outside my trailer to see the course. I noticed the dust settling in and not really moving at all, so I figured it would be hard to see out there. After the first heat, I paid attention and saw the second heat start late. I knew our heat would be delayed as well, but got ready and into staging on time so I didn’t start at the very back of the heat.

I started in row 3 on Saturday. My game plan was to follow the car starting next to me to get an idea of the pace to run and also use it as a sighting lap to figure out the track. Little did I know the guy starting beside me had about 3 miles of test time in his car and it was also his first race. When the green flag dropped I fell in behind car 937 and we were off to the races. I think I used 5 tear offs by the time we hit the dry lake bed but we were moving along at what seemed to be a decent pace. I carried out my plan of just trying to keep the 937 in my sights the first lap when we started reeling in the cars that started in front of us by about mile 5. We both picked off the first car we caught and started closing in on the other two that started in front of us. The 937 got around them right before the hot pits and I fell in line following them over the dyke jump and into the in field section. Knowing that the speed zones were coming up soon, I made the costly decision to fall in line and pass them once we were through the timing loop. At about mile 12 I realized how costly this was when the 918 and 938 came up the inside of me and were putting the pass on me before the speed zone. Right then I knew I had to tag on to them to learn the pace necessary to run up front. At start finish, I was fifth in a line of 5 cars when the fourth car in line died and didn’t want to start. Seeing everyone else slipping away I knew I had my work cut out to catch back up and decided to throw caution to the wind and drive as hard as I thought the car could handle.

Starting lap 2 in the old CORR track I took the right side down through the whoop section and immediately found out how much deeper it was over there, bucking the rear end up into the air. I took mental note of that and focused on trying to reel in the fast guys knowing I have no talent but not about to lose out on the opportunity to learn their lines. It was about this time I started feeling more in time with the car and was trying to hit my shifts faster. Problem was, the old shifter wasn’t adjusted perfectly for 2nd so there was a lot of grinding going on while upshifting and downshifting. Focused on staying in sight on the pack ahead of me I noticed I was making time on a couple of cars. I caught a two seat car on the back stretch and narrowly made a pass while trying not to swap into their car. After coming into the deep sandy left next to the power lines, I caught car 938 limping along. After that I focused on running clean laps and trying to make up time. A pretty uneventful end to lap two, only getting passed by a UTV that sounded like a jet screaming by obviously running way faster than my little car could.

On lap 3, I could see the dust out front getting just a little closer each time when I noticed the radio moving a lot. I reached down and shook the radio to find out it was falling out of the car. Not wanting to stop, I had the great idea of trying to finger tighten the one bolt holding it in while bouncing down the long fourth gear stretches. After a couple of close calls, it finally got me when I hooked the right front tire and buried the car in a berm stalling out in front of SNORE course workers. They went into action immediately but it was not needed. I started the car, found reverse, mashed the throttle and got out of there. Now upset at my mistake I started trying to make up for lost time by over driving the car and my ability. Still trying to tighten the bolt on the radio I kept missing shifts and could tell my focus was broken. I pushed as hard as I could through lap 4, managing to keep the radio from falling into my lap to finish 3rd on the road. Happy with just finishing I went through post tech and back to my pit to look over the car for Sunday.

Sunday came around and I was sitting in 3rd unofficially. We adjusted the shifter and took the radio out of the car so I was ready for battle when we lined up. I knew the track would be very different Sunday so I decided to follow again on lap 1 so I could see where all the new holes would be at. It was at about mile 2 under the power lines that I saw the first hole when 937 hit it and bounced off course. I took the opportunity to pass and chase the 918 around the track. While on the long stretches I watched the 918 slipping away from me knowing my fat ass was the reason my limited horsepower car couldn’t go any faster. The car was shifting much smoother and I only found one bump that wasn’t there from the prior day so I was going to try to run as smooth as possible and see if I could keep up with the 918.

Lap 2 was going great until the second road crossing. The shifter was adjusted properly, I felt good, the 918 wasn’t disappearing as fast as the day before, I thought it was going to be a great ending to my first race. As I was coming across the second road crossing the car pulled left so I yanked the steering wheel right, only the car didn’t respond and kept heading towards the left side of the track. Right then I knew the car was going to go over. It climbed the little berm on the side of the track and finally caught sending me over 3 1/4 times coming to rest on the right side of the car. I immediately turned off the ignition switches and attempted to climb out of the car. It was a tight squeeze bu I managed to get out threw the left window. The course workers and EMT was there within a minute and rolled the car back over for me. They spun the steering wheel and it never stopped. Turns out the steering shaft snapped in half when I hit the road crossing and I was along for the ride after that, thankfully to the left because to the right would have been the tower for the high tension lines.

Overall it was a lot of fun and I look forward to the next race. Thank you to everyone out there and SNORE for putting on a great race. I’ll get the incar from Sunday posted up soon. The

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

tapeworm

Reaction
Here is a quick edit from Sunday’s race. It’s my first time uploading content to YouTube so it’s taking a little bit to figure it all out.

tapeworm

Reaction
Full in car from the couple of miles I completed on Sunday

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert