• Forum membership has its advantages....

B1k map please

bajafox

Accepted
the story I “heard” was a racer lost control a little bit and almost hit some spectators who happened to be the Ejido’s familia. Another racer reported later that he got rocks thrown at him and the owner had a gun and was genuinely pissed that the race was going on in his land. Take it for what you will as it’s all hearsay.
I would not be surprised. People probably don't remember but it was in the pine forest that someone got shot prerunning on a bike a while back

Baja_Seve

If you're referring to the 2008 Martz incident, he was not prerunning and it wasn't the pine forest. Martz and group were headed back to the U.S. after a fun ride to Mike's Sky Rancho and the incident took place between Jamau and Santa Catarena.
I would not be surprised. People probably don't remember but it was in the pine forest that someone got shot prerunning on a bike a while back

Chris_Wilson

And prior to that there was an armed hold up of some guys coming down past Simpson Ranch that some of you may remember.

Bro_Gill

And probably 20 years ago, a bullet went through a prerun Baja Bug before the 1000. So long ago, I don't remember what year, but that was up in the forest.

bajafox

Accepted
If you're referring to the 2008 Martz incident, he was not prerunning and it wasn't the pine forest. Martz and group were headed back to the U.S. after a fun ride to Mike's Sky Rancho and the incident took place between Jamau and Santa Catarena.

My apologies, all I remember about that incident was what I read on here.

The article literally does say it happened on the Baja 1000 opening weekend though...

PeteRock

Basically the only part that really matters starts at the 26 minute mark.
Brenthel Bros did a great job of documenting the course.
Better have your stuff in order for this section, especially at night.

cynicwanderer

Holy crap there’s a whole lotta VCPs !!! Way too many.
since they are implemented in software, they are essentially free for them to implement... looks like there are a lot of "shortcuts" too. BTW, what is the penalty for missing a VCP ? I bet if you add up the penalties for missing the VCPs if you take the shortcut, you will lose each time. unless you are really slow, of course.