• Forum membership has its advantages....

B1k map please

OFFRD-JNKIE

I've been told Robby used to shortcut the course and didn't care if he got caught because he'd save xx amount of time and only get penalized half of that so it was worth it.

Dezertpilot

cynicwanderer

I've been told Robby used to shortcut the course and didn't care if he got caught because he'd save xx amount of time and only get penalized half of that so it was worth it.
checkpoints and the the art of evaluating the risk of cutting/penalties has always been part of off road racing and is certainly part of racing strategy. if they really want to take that element out of racing, they could very easily implement a continuous penalty zone which is xx feet from the published GPS track, stray outside the zone, and it's a penalty, stray too far/long and it's a DQ. if your Stella/Tracker mysteriously "fails" and then suddenly works at tech after the race, then it's a penalty/DQ.

El Mamito USMC

checkpoints and the the art of evaluating the risk of cutting/penalties has always been part of off road racing and is certainly part of racing strategy. if they really want to take that element out of racing, they could very easily implement a continuous penalty zone which is xx feet from the published GPS track, stray outside the zone, and it's a penalty, stray too far/long and it's a DQ. if your Stella/Tracker mysteriously "fails" and then suddenly works at tech after the race, then it's a penalty/DQ.
that would eliminate about 80% of the competitors.. LOL

mebedb1

Funny thing, the racer brief states if you deviate more than 60' off the GPS line, that the little bit of insurance afforded you for being an entered racer, $10,500 IIRC, is null and void. even though you can miss a VCP by no more than 120'.

cynicwanderer

Funny thing, the racer brief states if you deviate more than 60' off the GPS line, that the little bit of insurance afforded you for being an entered racer, $10,500 IIRC, is null and void. even though you can miss a VCP by no more than 120'.
which is probably no big deal to some racers, since they probably have their own insurance or are "self-insured".

mebedb1

That's pickin' the fly **** out of the pepper 😂 . you'd be 1/4 mile off course to miss that one.

swiftracing5

I could be wrong but SCOREs official tracking is not a constant data stream, it "pings" or sends timed data locations of the car/bike. In theory they may not be able to see all "course cuts" if they are small, or even deviations from the marked course. Plus, I have always wondered to what extent SCORE will review each racers data to find deviations. It all adds time to releasing the official results, which we all hate...

jon coleman

besides, our pantys get into a Wadd when lets say a 'Andy M.' cheats ( course cut), & wins by, lets say 2 minutes, ive Never strayed off course.what im saying would score call^ a.m. out on a ' small infraction'?yes they do( see next post😖)

Last edited:

cynicwanderer

I could be wrong but SCOREs official tracking is not a constant data stream, it "pings" or sends timed data locations of the car/bike. In theory they may not be able to see all "course cuts" if they are small, or even deviations from the marked course. Plus, I have always wondered to what extent SCORE will review each racers data to find deviations. It all adds time to releasing the official results, which we all hate...
not sure how they implement VCPs for sure. I suspect they use geo-fences, like the speed zones. that way they can just collect which VCPs you hit, which would be easy to pull out of the unit, either via satellites or with a USB or Bluetooth device at the finish. the probably don't pull the GPS log to analyze it, unless there is an incident/accident or someone contests the finish. but then, with a PC and special software/script it wouldn't take long to compare the GPS log to the "official track" and show where you deviated, but if you did it for everyone it would take some time, so just for "special treatment". how do they deal with teams who's tracker "broke" during the race and then magically worked at the end...

swiftracing5

This is what they send you when you miss a VCP. Cost us the win at the 500. missed 120' by about 120', 10 second gain cost 10 min.
looks to be a few pings around the area.

View attachment 206041
That is really interesting! I may be wrong then. I have never asked for the data on my misses. But, I guess if you are driving slow enough then the pings might just be caught. Now if it is creative line that hits all VCPs that would be different.

mebedb1

That is really interesting! I may be wrong then. I have never asked for the data on my misses. But, I guess if you are driving slow enough then the pings might just be caught. Now if it is creative line that hits all VCPs that would be different.
The driver in this section doesn't understand the word slow.
He started 17th and was 5th on the road by this point. not bad...

Last edited:

Chainguide

not sure how they implement VCPs for sure. I suspect they use geo-fences, like the speed zones. that way they can just collect which VCPs you hit, which would be easy to pull out of the unit, either via satellites or with a USB or Bluetooth device at the finish. the probably don't pull the GPS log to analyze it, unless there is an incident/accident or someone contests the finish. but then, with a PC and special software/script it wouldn't take long to compare the GPS log to the "official track" and show where you deviated, but if you did it for everyone it would take some time, so just for "special treatment". how do they deal with teams who's tracker "broke" during the race and then magically worked at the end...
All racers tracks are analyzed by proprietary software that that reports both course compliance and speed in the speed zones. The ping rate is around 1 second data therefore it is very accurate. There are two independent tracking and recording systems that constantly update your data stream through satellite and or cellular. The system is very solid.

I too saw that 60' vs 120' thing and will find out what the real world ruling is. My main complaint is that I feel that SCORE is over using the placement of VCPs. They were designed and implemented to keep racers out of sensitive areas and for course compliance. They are intended to take away the incentive to cut across a farmer's field for instance, that then results in lost permission next time to race on his land. They are there to help keep everyone honest, where major short coursing could occur. But what they were not intended to be is the course itself. With over 280 VCPs so far in the upcoming 1000, it seems like it is becoming a connect the dots race. The problem I see with that, is that the race becomes too single file, no room to breath, almost no reason to prerun and you have to drive or ride right down the the center of every sh#tty whooped line and silt bed. I for one believe that there is a difference between lines and shortcoursing. You should be able to find good lines while prerunning. You shouldn't have to spend your whole race with your face burried into your GPS in fear of missing imaginary dots. Every form of racing has lines in it. The Indy 500 even has high, low and even sometimes middle lines. Motocross has lines within the track. Desert racing, and especially Baja, used to be wide open. I know things have changed but seriously, let them breath. Let them race. I also believe you should get penalized or DQ'd for blatant and deliberate shortcoursing. So where do you draw the line then? You draw it where it matters. (hence the use of VCPs at strategic locations) But they certainly don't need VCPs to be in sandwashes, or in flat wide open straight desert sections, or at every little bend in a two track. Anyway that's my opinion.