• Forum membership has its advantages....

B1k map please

Dustino81

All racers tracks are analyzed by proprietary software that that reports both course compliance and speed in the speed zones. The ping rate is around 1 second data therefore it is very accurate. There are two independent tracking and recording systems that constantly update your data stream through satellite and or cellular. The system is very solid.

I too saw that 60' vs 120' thing and will find out what the real world ruling is. My main complaint is that I feel that SCORE is over using the placement of VCPs. They were designed and implemented to keep racers out of sensitive areas and for course compliance. They are intended to take away the incentive to cut across a farmer's field for instance, that then results in lost permission next time to race on his land. They are there to help keep everyone honest, where major short coursing could occur. But what they were not intended to be is the course itself. With over 280 VCPs so far in the upcoming 1000, it seems like it is becoming a connect the dots race. The problem I see with that, is that the race becomes too single file, no room to breath, almost no reason to prerun and you have to drive or ride right down the the center of every sh#tty whooped line and silt bed. I for one believe that there is a difference between lines and shortcoursing. You should be able to find good lines while prerunning. You shouldn't have to spend your whole race with your face burried into your GPS in fear of missing imaginary dots. Every form of racing has lines in it. The Indy 500 even has high, low and even sometimes middle lines. Motocross has lines within the track. Desert racing, and especially Baja, used to be wide open. I know things have changed but seriously, let them breath. Let them race. I also believe you should get penalized or DQ'd for blatant and deliberate shortcoursing. So where do you draw the line then? You draw it where it matters. (hence the use of VCPs at strategic locations) But they certainly don't need VCPs to be in sandwashes, or in flat wide open straight desert sections, or at every little bend in a two track. Anyway that's my opinion.
Best comment/opinion of the day 👍👍

mexgamer

Well said
There’s also the spectator factor... you never know where people are going to park their cars! The arrows will show the marked course, so a slightly different road running parallel that you thought would be a good line is now a parking lot. I have seen some racers not caring about the spectators who are actually in what they think is a safe place, for this reason. People racing on the other side of a line of parked cars is dangerous, kids and even adults, don’t expect a truck to go by there. I think this is part of the reason why there are so many VCPs.
It is also important to mention that a lot of people prerun at almost race speeds, and that is going to be the end of prerunning sooner or later. You can’t prerun at more than 60mph on roads that are used by ranchers!!! There’s been accidents, and land owners get pissed. That’s why now we can’t race on a lot of places. Also, prerunning at fast speeds tears up the course even more (which also pisses land owners), there’s no need for prerunners with huge tires either.
Score has to start enforcing prerunning rules and speed limits or there will be no prerunning soon

Bro_Gill

While I agree SCORE should help put the foot down on Prerun speeds, the fastest way to get a grip is heavy handed tickets and confiscated vehicles. Let the Local cops handle this their way and it gets fixed fast.

icons-gps

This is more than a race is a strategy game where everyone wants to win.
There is always a way to go faster and not be found cheating
Do your homework correctly during the pre-run and you will find those dark sides of the track where no one can see you or penalize.
VCP´S are part of that game.

Chainguide

I just went through the entire course on Google Earth. I listed every VCP that seemed that it wasn't necessary, redundant or there wasn't an obvious reason for being there. Over 90 VCPs could be eliminated and you would still have a fair and same mileage race. I could list hem here but all you have to do is look at each one and ask yourself why is this one necessary? At the Baja 400, there was an overwhelming sentiment that the course was too one line and hard to pass. Having so many VCPs is eliminating many passing opportunities and taking the fun out of our sport.

TRAVISD

But you don't know if those VCP's were put there from land owners and their restrictions or requirements for the race to pass thru that area. The VCP's are ok, it keeps everyone on the same course, and the course will dictate the passing areas. If its single track doesn't matter if there is a VCP or not passing will be difficult, like up on the Mikes loop.

Chainguide

But you don't know if those VCP's were put there from land owners and their restrictions or requirements for the race to pass thru that area. The VCP's are ok, it keeps everyone on the same course, and the course will dictate the passing areas. If its single track doesn't matter if there is a VCP or not passing will be difficult, like up on the Mikes loop.
True, but if you really look at them, you can pretty much tell if it is a land issue or not. Anyway I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on some of those. Yes your point is valid in the Mike's loop example, so then why even put them there? VCPs should be used sparingly. They cause extra work for racers and SCORE officials. They cause silt beds in corners and they take away passing opportunities. I am not knocking VCPs, in fact I was the leader of the team that introduced the idea and implementation of VCPs to SCORE. By the way, this race is the 10 th anniversary of VCPs, first brought to you at the 2009 Baja 1000.

coryanderson

Does anyone know the best way to get from highway 1 to BFG pit #2 (RM 255ish)? I'm hoping to camp on the coast near RM 150 and watch the bikes and leaders come through and then head over to BFG pit #2 to watch the leaders and the rest of the race.

Also, is there anyway (not on the course) to get up to highway 3 from that same area without going all the way back up north and over?

Thanks!

Baja_Seve

Does anyone know the best way to get from highway 1 to BFG pit #2 (RM 255ish)? I'm hoping to camp on the coast near RM 150 and watch the bikes and leaders come through and then head over to BFG pit #2 to watch the leaders and the rest of the race.

Also, is there anyway (not on the course) to get up to highway 3 from that same area without going all the way back up north and over?

Thanks!
Easy. From Hwy 1 at KM 140, take the paved Observatory Road east to Nacional Parque San Pedro Martir. About 15 miles in, intersect race course and BFG 2.
To get to Hwy 3, return to Hwy 1. Go north to Hwy 1 KM 102 and turn east on graded "Calentura" road. 37 miles to T-intersection, then 2 miles north to Valley T. Lots of chase traffic on this road. so be keerful (most 2wd vehicles can handle but slow through the rocks).

coryanderson

Easy. From Hwy 1 at KM 140, take the paved Observatory Road east to Nacional Parque San Pedro Martir. About 15 miles in, intersect race course and BFG 2.
To get to Hwy 3, return to Hwy 1. Go north to Hwy 1 KM 102 and turn east on graded "Calentura" road. 37 miles to T-intersection, then 2 miles north to Valley T. Lots of chase traffic on this road. so be keerful (most 2wd vehicles can handle but slow through the rocks).
Thanks!