B1K Qualifying causing quite the controversy ....

deano

McDeano
With qualifying for the 50th running of the Baja 1000 in just a short couple of weeks, the controversy still lingers among some drivers and Score International. With their idea of combining qualifying during SEMA in Las Vegas, rather than down in Baja, where the actual race and terrain set-up will be taken place. Now with this years time and date falling on Halloween night, has some drivers and crew members with children scrambling to make decisions between family or racing .... Some top drivers have been expressing their displeasure on Score's Instagram page and some have disclosed that they will not be participating in this years qualifying. Opting out to be with their children on this Super Bowl event for kids. Substitute drivers are being talked about and even accepting rear starts are on the table. What should Score do to rectify their customer's complaints and displeasure ? Also, should qualifying for the biggest race of the year really be held in Vegas anymore on a short course ?? Thoughts ???

green787

Is there any other way to cause a big to do about the Baja 1000 here in USA??? It's just good old promotion...However, I don't see why anyone other than a few top teams would bother... ?

Bro_Gill

It's the 50th anniversary. The should show some respect for the past and do it by draw. And have beer cans with rubber tops and stop checks that must be made and chits go in the can. With GPS, there will be no excuse for teams to say they didn't know they were at a check point when they hammer the car in front of them or that they didn't know there would be course workers there. Make it fewer checks but you have to make it through them and get your chit.

J Prich

Can anyone validate the ROI on having qualifying in Vegas? I get the idea is based on more visibility in conjunction with SEMA, but what has/does that visibility translate to? Are there are measurables that prove that doing it this way actually translates to anything tangible for teams, SCORE, or the sport?

JCAraiza

It's the 50th anniversary. The should show some respect for the past and do it by draw. And have beer cans with rubber tops and stop checks that must be made and chits go in the can. With GPS, there will be no excuse for teams to say they didn't know they were at a check point when they hammer the car in front of them or that they didn't know there would be course workers there. Make it fewer checks but you have to make it through them and get your chit.
I like the "old school but cool" touch of the cans, also, the drivers must make a full stop to collect the CP token.

calstyl2

SCORE
Death by a 1000 cuts............
I cant fathom how anyone thought it was a good idea and date.

R. Gross

I don't race a TT and it must be a hard decision for those with kids, but I did get the opportunity to go watch or volunteer the years they have done it in Vegas since it is in my back yard. This year the decision is already made for me = Trick or Treating with my 3 year old grandson who will be driving in 13 years = no brainer. Bummer I got to miss it but you only get so many trips around the block with the kids.

nimrod

KOOK!
I can’t think of a better way to spend Halloween after spending half the month away from family prerunning and missing half of the next month prerunning and Racing. BRILLIANT.

retroblazer

The separation of the amateurs and the Pro's. Don't fault them for trying to generate buzz, even if it's on your dime.
Sure, it's time consuming and expensive, but score is giving people the opportunity to perform in front of the decision makers in the aftermarket.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Last edited:

vegasloki

If you've been on the SEMA floor the last couple of years outfits like Diesel Sellerz and Gas Monkey Garage are generating more interest than SCORE. The business types don't seem to be going to the event at LVMS. The display of the trucks and grip and grins with the team could be done separate from qualifying. Mainstream national media coverage is virtually non-existent as is local coverage. I don't remember seeing anything in the SEMA Daily either (though there could have, I didn't go every day). Unless a sponsor wants some exposure or does some activation I don't see why they couldn't do a booth, have a truck and a buggy wrapped in a SCORE livery and promote at SEMA that way perhaps using a VR experience like Ford has for the Raptor.

johnnyweb

They should have moved it to Wednesday to accommodate Halloween this year at least.

retroblazer

If you've been on the SEMA floor the last couple of years outfits like Diesel Sellerz and Gas Monkey Garage are generating more interest than SCORE. The business types don't seem to be going to the event at LVMS. The display of the trucks and grip and grins with the team could be done separate from qualifying. Mainstream national media coverage is virtually non-existent as is local coverage. I don't remember seeing anything in the SEMA Daily either (though there could have, I didn't go every day). Unless a sponsor wants some exposure or does some activation I don't see why they couldn't do a booth, have a truck and a buggy wrapped in a SCORE livery and promote at SEMA that way perhaps using a VR experience like Ford has for the Raptor.
You may be right, but now we're really going to see if SCORE engages the top teams to make it work.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Doesn't matter who shows up. Pole is gonna go to the team that puts a shortcourse transmission in their TT and has a guy that knows how to drive it. Most teams wont want to waste the time of swapping trannies when there's 1200 miles of race course to prerun. Qualifying for a peninsula run is waste of time, money and resources.

nimrod

KOOK!
Fortunately BJ has agreed to qualify my truck. There’s no way I’m missing out on a whole night of free chocolate!

Robin Hood

Tough life... pre-running, racing, Baja? Most cant win anyways so only a few have to decide what their priority is.

Personally, I have seen enough ghost and goblins and walked my share of streets on Halloween so if anyone needs a driver to qualify and start I am ready and willing:). If my kids are disappointed maybe I'll just bring them with me.

Last edited:

Dave In Florida

Plenty of people (myself included) have to work halloween and miss trick or treating with our kids. Unfortunately for us, we don't get to drive race trucks or be millionaires the rest of the year either. If they don't like missing the holiday, then skip qualifying, or suck it up and do your job. The choice is yours, just don't expect me or many others to feel sorry for you either way.

Tundranation

Ideas to do bring back some people from old SCORE to help with race in celebrating the 50th anniversary have fallen on deaf ears with RN ..................... Tom Willis you deserve to be a part of this race.... just sayin' !!!! tradition.....hmmmmmmm ...out the door. Trick or treat indeed.

sb4pro

Why not have a huge Halloween party at LVMS for the kids , not just for the drivers kids put the general public I know the city of Las Vegas could use some happiness