Back In The Day

ken stroud

Reaction
The first year Scott Prill and I ran with that car it finished over all 3 out of 5 races and help win several championships 10 and 12 though the years. It still lives today. If you look at wilsons 12 car you will see the seat although rebuilt and the deadman pedal.

Last edited:

J Prich

Reaction
Dave Richardson and I pulled off that feat at the 1985 Baja 1000 and almost beat the bikes too. We also finished 2nd overall at the Mint 400 and the Frontier 500 with the same car that year which maybe had 90HP. Got to love the single seater as it was just you and the car as if you had a problem you had to fix it yourself. In my 34 years 1985 was our best year in my book as many of those races we had 60 to 80 cars in our class alone. Thinking about building a new Silver Bullet for class 10 and give the boys a shot at a buggy in 2015.

I think I might have a little video with you guys at the Mint, may be 1985. Quality is crap but I'll see if I can dig it out this weekend and do something with it.

Reaction

bighad

Reaction
when Corona raceway was around, Saddleback park was around, Ontario raceway, Riverside raceway, OCIR, Ascot, and OC fairgrounds had racing. When you could do the Barstow to Vegas run. Boulder road was an exit on the 15 right outside Victorville, which back in the day, was practically nothing more then a large truck stop. When there were no fees in Glamis, and you could ride in Honda Valley (Hesperia) or anywhere north of Silverwood lake exit off the 15.
Most importantly, back in the day was when people went to the desert and there was a brotherhood mentality. Nobody stole peoples broken down vehicle and nobody lit things on fire except a camp fire. People picked up their trash and overall there was a mutual shared respect. that was "back in the day" to me.

Gadzooks2

Reaction
Back in the Day.. When you used a stuck stub instead of a radio to tell your crew approximately which mile marker the 4 KYB's you bolted to each corner decided to break your engine cage or cable trussed front housing into pieces at.:mad:

bighad

Reaction
back in the day to me was when you went to an off road shop and actually had off roaders who knew a thing or two about stuff. I miss the old guys, off road general store. Old Mr. Grant and the likes. The guys who could use a cigarette tobacco and pee to fix and fill a radiator leak! I still carry tobacco leaves, duct tape, bailing wire, and a few misc. bolts as my trail kit, lol. Back in the day the CB lit up and you heard the phrase, "were broke down". Today you hear so and so is eff'd. To me back in the day was when people stuck together, did what it took, and pitched in. Todays world I see cell phones taking video and everyone laughing about someones situation. Just like Baja, back in the day people didn't dig boobie traps so they could eff someone's stuff up and find humor in all that garbage. I for one sure miss "back in the day". Circa until about 93 or so. I'd say that was when it all started to go bad.

burninfuel

Reaction
KYB's ran and white paint show'd brown where it was burnin the paint off. Later the shock was still like new.

12LaPaz

Reaction
When you either raced SCORE (with Sal) or HDRA (with Walt) or both
When it was basicly the Southern California boys against Las Vegas boys

Baja Fool

Reaction
Ford Rough Riders.....For me, one of the great times in off road racing.

sb4pro

Reaction
Ford Rough Riders.....For me, one of the great times in off road racing.

Then you oughta love this lol

image.jpg

How many can ya name ? I can make out Manny and Rob Mac I know the Smiths are there and also Ashley just from the logos but don't know which guys they are lol .

Last edited:

Baja Fool

Reaction
I do ^^^^ Dave Simon 4th from right, Scott Taylor on the far right, maybe Ashley & Smith next to him?....Prolly know more if they had helmets on!! ha! I'm sure somebody out there knows'em all by heart.
The Best Never Rest!!

Slippery P

Reaction
image.jpg
image.jpg
This