Back yard patio's

curtnrod19

Reaction
I am in the process of building a patio in my back yard. A 12x12 with a 3 foot fire place in the center.

After moving all the rock and doing the layout with a extension cord a 12x12 is smaller than i thought. So deciding to add another foot.

I need some help with benches??????

I have the brick fence on two sides of the patio, than it will be just a garden around it. Any one got anything similiar and care to show some photos? Or photos of benches made ot of wood, rock, block, anything easy to do???? Lets share some pics. Thanks guys!

Curtis Beard

Bill

Carlos Danger
Reaction
I am in the process of building a patio in my back yard. A 12x12 with a 3 foot fire place in the center.

After moving all the rock and doing the layout with a extension cord a 12x12 is smaller than i thought. So deciding to add another foot.

I need some help with benches??????

I have the brick fence on two sides of the patio, than it will be just a garden around it. Any one got anything similiar and care to show some photos? Or photos of benches made ot of wood, rock, block, anything easy to do???? Lets share some pics. Thanks guys!

Curtis Beard
4 redwood post in the ground frame with 2x6 redwood then fill in the seating are with redwood 4x4 pieces.real simple and strong.

MattV

Reaction
Other option would be to use some 2x2 square steel tubing and weld up a frame for the bench to be secured in the concrete, then finish it off with some nice redwood for the seating and back surfaces.

Truthfully, I prefer some good outdoor chairs as they are more versatile. My firepit is about 75 feet from the house, made of native rock lining it. Surrounded by flagstone.

randy s

Reaction
you could build benches out of redwood or cedar to be used as storage as well by making them just long boxes with flip up hinged bench tops. put your stuff in them , let the lid down and sit down and have a cold one.

BGRANT

Reaction
Storage benches are a great idea. Have you thought about a composite like TREX?

curtnrod19

Reaction
ah ah ah.... Thanks guys, storage benches would be nice.

Also need some curbing done as well. Just had a guy here give me a price. didnt like him.

Any RDC'ers know anyone in the curbing business in AZ?

Curtis Beard

MikeLeung

Reaction
Curtis...I would avoid using any kind of wood in Phoenix...no matter what, the sun and dry weather will destroy them. Stick to a composite material or concrete.

I built my bench out of CMU blocks, stucco them and put a piece of plywood recessed in the block. I didn't attach the plywood so that it can be lifted up and the inside can be used as storage. I also sized it a standard seat cushion like the ones you can buy at Lowes. That way when the sun destroys the seat cushion every few years, I can just go to Lowes and buy a new one. The cushion is attached to the top with velcro.