Background Map for GPS

jcorsico

Reaction
What are the best options for showing a background map on your GPS? If I had a boat, this solution is easy - tons of charts are available for purchase. But a map of roads in Baja?

LeadNav is a different solution. I'm looking for something that I could use on a Lowrance or Garmin GPS.

Thank you!
Jon

AZ7000'

Reaction
PCI sells a version for Lowrance that is pretty sweet. Baja Topo Software V3

Murdock Nav has them also, their website is a bit wonky not loading the link pictures. try this Murdock Nav

As a backup there is a good base map for Avenza maps from National Geographic Adventure I bought for my phone.

PaulW

Reaction
What brand and model GPS you you have/want?
Comments for Baja maps only
For Garmin as far as I know the Murdocknav map that will work for any. The large format units are the marine units (as opposed to the hand helds). Look for a used one for cost efficiency.
For Lowrance the Murdock map only works with HDS Gen2M and older not for HDS Gen2 touch or for HDS Gen3. For Gen3 talk to PCI, because I only have the older units and cannot test Gen3.

For a phone or tablet the number of maps available is huge and a subject of another thread. I have never see any yet that compare to a large format GPS. Besides the maps are never as good as Murdock because most all of the Baja back roads we are all use and are familiar with are included with Murdock.