Bad Gas At So Cal Arco!

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Well the bad gas at the southern CA ARCO's is TRUE!! It was on the news a few days ago and My parents both run Arco in their truck and car and both can barely run right now.

One is a Honda Accord and its studdering bad and also leaving a black suit residue in the tailpipe...he just filled up at arco a few days ago!

The Nissan truck has also been running like crap in the past day and that has to be why since it was just filled up with ARCO also...

The Piece of course still runs like a champ though and its unfased....did you expect something less?

So DO NOT BUY GAS FROM ARCO!!!!!

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society

Dillon

Reaction
Dude, you ever wonder why it was always cheaper? My parents told me that back when I was still sperm, sorry bout your parents cars tho....

martininsocal

Reaction
I like this thread because this is something I have always wondered about. I cannot run AMPM gas(even premium) in any Volkswagen I have ever owned. I can run it in any of my water pumpers, but not the aircooled stuff. I asked a race engine builder a few years ago about which pump gas was best and he said AMPM is actually pretty good for mild motors due to the burn rate and additives they use, but apparently the oxydizing agents they use play havoc with aircooled motors. It is about the time of year when Socal gets its winter fuel mix to help with combustion for the cold season(yes, they do change the formula for winter and summer) and I wonder what they have changed this year to screw up motors? It could be the next replacement for MTBE being trial run...Kinda like the "new" diesel a few years ago that destroyed so many truck motors, but was suppose to be so great for the environment! I wonder if the benefit of cleaner air outweighed all the spilled Diesel into the environment when all the seals in teh motors started going bad with the new formula? So whats the word? What has changed with AMPM gas?

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

In_the_works

Reaction
Couldn't you have told me that before I filled my tank up on the way home today at Arco?

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab
'02 Maico 250

shrek

Reaction
hey hey, there is nothing wrong with ARCO gas.

I think it is a sign that your parents should start buying american cars because it seems to have no bad effects on my F-150. haha

Also, hate to break this to ya but to be a "shell, chevron, etc." gas station you only have to buy a percentage of that same name brand fuel.( I believe it is like 15-20% and Shell has the highest percent) If you ever notice fuel trucks at night fueling stations they are commonly no-name trucks with whatever fuel was cheaper the day that it was ordered in it.

And...............Arco is the largest refinery in Socal...............so where do you think the largest percent of gas in Socal is coming from!!!!

Just some info, my 2cents

Racing isn't everything.............it's the only thing!!!

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Well I think if Arco admited it on the news than it has some basis to it.....

Go Big Or Go Home

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I heard from two people that they had problems last week with ARCO gas in their car and then the news special made me really believe it.

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late"

CanyonMan

Reaction
I think the best gas you can run is AMoco Ultimate white gas. I used to run that in my 71 Monte Carlo and never had any problems. Too bad they don't sell it here in Arizona. I drive right past Texacos, ARCOs and Conoco stations.

Lyrch

mike_hinson

Reaction
All the majors are currently switching to methanol blend and are discontinuing the use of MTBE. This started on Jan 1. MTBE could be mixed with the gas at the refinery. Methanol has to be blended at the loading rack when the trucks are loaded. Due to the fact that methanol absorbs water, if the station had excess water in the bottom of the tank, it will affect the quality of the gas. The delivery truck drivers were supposed to use a special paste on the end of their gauge sticks when they added the first load of methanol blend to check for excess water. As maintenance manager for a petroleum transport company, I purchased water paste for each of our 80+ trucks to use on their first load of gasohol. If other transport companies did not do the same thing, there is a possibility that they added their first load to a tank with excess water at the bottom. There is a chance that this can happen at any station, not just ARCO. ARCO is just one of the first companies to make the switch to methanol blend.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Thanks for the info Mike....ya I was just saying dont buy it like this week because of the few different cases that have happened....I dont know if this will stop me from buying from there ever again but just not anytime to soon.

Go Big Or Go Home

evan_clanin

Reaction
every one is talkin about genaric gas, i was on my way into town today, and saw the texaco truck putting gas in at a 76 station, got a lil chuckle out of it

Can blind people be dyslexic when they read Braille?

fathead1

Reaction
I believe Texaco and 76 are owned by the same company. I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.

fathead1

Reaction
I just spoke w/ my buddy who owns 3 Chevron stations in the so bay area. He said as far as Chevron is concerned, they can only buy gas from Chevron. He said he does get deliveries from trucks that have no name on them, but they are just independent contractors working solely for Chevron.
Here is something interesting, he was telling me that all gas in San Diego is piped in, so everyone is running the same gas. The only difference is the additives that they use for each brand, which is added down there. He said that everyone has to be switched over to the Ethanol additive
( replacement for MTBE ) by Dec. this year.

In_the_works

Reaction
So does that mean no more techron? Maybe it was all just hype, but I did seem to get better mileage when I ran at least the 89 octane Chevron gas ( as opposed to say.. ARCO or Shell)

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab
'02 Maico 250

fathead1

Reaction
No, techron will still be added, The ethanol is only is added to replace the MTBE. The refineries could
not just remove MTBE from the gas because of the volume MTBE has in the gas, amoung other reasons.
They had to make up the difference in volume. This is what a Chevron Exec. told me at supercross 2 years ago. ( Yea, I was in their private box hehe. Free beer and food, and a great view of the track)
For example , in san diego, they all get the same gas, and add their "special" additives like Techron, down there.

Reaction
I have a Dodge '82 4x4 van, & I think my timing advance is kinda agressive. I also run my 35" BFG AT @35psi, which is possibly a bit on the low side (max pressure is 50psi I think). I also carry some weight, it's ~6600lb. When I run ARCO gas, I get this maddening pinging on this one on-ramp which is sloped up. Man, like what the f*?? I don't get it with 76 gas..no pinging. I think the ARCO gas just doesn't have the octane rating, it advertises (speculation). I've been running 76 gas recently, also because there is this one local 76 station which has competitive prices with ARCO (just a tad higher), not as expensive as Chevron & the others. It will also take a credit card, whereas ARCO only takes ATM cards. I'd rather delay my payments for ~month, using my Discover cash awards credit card..get some rewards at the end of the year.

sidenote:
I recommend getting one of these cards, & pay EVERYTHING with it.. (i pay my utility bill, grocery, fast food,..et al). I hardly carry cash anymore (just for the few places that require cash). There is an American Express Gold card, which has similar benefits. (just got one). One is price matching, where they will refund the price difference on electronic items (computers, etc). I.e., you can buy from a reputable dealer for say a laptop computer, but get a rebate check from AMEX..so it;s like you bought the thing at these sweatshop dealers which sell laptops with extremely low margins (without the risk).

I know a Class 5 racer who fuels up with race gas at the local Pasadena 76 station. I figure if it's good enough for offroad racing, it's good enough for me. That local 76 station is always packed, since they offer competitive prices. I guess they know they're also getting quality.

"Go for the Gusto, Go for the Overall"
-- Robby Gordon, SCORE off-road champion

michael_loomis

Reaction
haha ...is your f150 pre 95 with a 302 ? if so and you run ARCO you'd better pay special attention the the compression in cylinder #7. i've seen 3 pre-95 302's burn holes in the #7 piston due to bad gas.

i've heard that ARCO is bad for a long time....i've also heard that the best gas is actually CITGO. ive had good luck with chevron and 76 but shell has to be the worst. my grandfathers boat would missfire horribly at speed , but only with shell ? explain that.

hoeker

Reaction
you bring up an interesting point on that vintage ford. the problem is actually from the spark plug wire routing. if the 7 and 8 wires are run together the spark can jump wires and pre-ignite #8, causing detonation. this destroyed many of those engines. ford ran the wires separated from the factory, but most people when they replaced the wires ran them together, making the problem worse.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

"to be successful, you must first learn to disagree without being disagreeable."

shrek

Reaction
No, actually it is a 2001 F-150 with 88,000 miles of 95% Arco gas................FYI

Racing isn't everything.............it's the only thing!!!