Bad pit work (video)

herzeleid

Reaction
Hi, RDC. I filmed this... and in my point of view... this wasn´t a good pit work. They fixed the bikes... but they lost precious time.

Maybe they had a lot of work... but they also had a lot of people.
http://vimeo.com/5086982
http://vimeo.com/5088686

If you think I´m wrong, I can delete the videos or change the name of them... so nobody gets offended. (Cus i´m not trying to blame a team or to be mean)

Thx.

Dezertpilot

Reaction
I dont get it.

WORCS332

Reaction
its fine. they did ok to me. its not the easiest thing in the world trying to find a pit after riding countless of numbers of hours for hundreds of miles.

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
Not too bad. They got it done. Part of racing. The one guy missed his pit and thats frustrating Im sure.

herzeleid

Reaction
Ohh, okay. What i meant... is that... there were too many people in the pit. Somebody could be watching for the bikes coming. So that the riders could get into the pit asap.

J Caster

Honda TRX700XX Pilot
Reaction
JCR/Honda pits are the best in the business.

The pits can not control the racers. It is the racers job to know where the pit is going to be set up and to look for it. It is very hard to read numbers on bikes when they are headed right at you and when you have multiple bikes to look for.

As far as too many people in the pit- there may have been to many spectators around the pit but the crowd is hard to control, especially when the lead bikes are there. Not much they can do about that.

RG1Baja

Reaction
A simple over sot of the pit? It takes me alot longer to change out two tires in my garage. We also didnt see the whole pit. They also need to go over the bike. These riders are on the bike's for a long time at high speeds. Last thing they need is something coming loose.

Shaggy

Reaction
JCR/Honda pits are the best in the business.

The pits can not control the racers. It is the racers job to know where the pit is going to be set up and to look for it. It is very hard to read numbers on bikes when they are headed right at you and when you have multiple bikes to look for.

As far as too many people in the pit- there may have been to many spectators around the pit but the crowd is hard to control, especially when the lead bikes are there. Not much they can do about that.

I didn't see anything wrong that would make their pit "bad".:confused: Maybe the sign could have been in a different spot. Like J Caster stated, crowds next to a pit are a pain when comes to blocking signs. We try cordon off a large area around ours just because of that reason. We also post 1 mile, 1/2 mile and 1/4 mile signs up the course to help. Other than that it looked to me like they did a good job. Everybody surrounded the bike and did their job.

Chase 2

Reaction
They seemed a bit more disorganized than usual in the first vid. They already had a bike in the pit when Ox came in so they may have been a bit too focused on the first bike. Nothing really wrong with the pitting IMO.

It looks to me that they could have done a much better job of marking the pit so it could be seen from the course. You can't tell the racers exactly where the pit will be before hand because when you show up on race day to set a pit up there could be someone else or spectators in your spot of choice.

Years ago Bruce O used to have everyone to be pitted by Honda pits put day glow orange tape on their hand guards so the pit guys could flag them in. You can't flag every Honda into the pit.

Kbach66

Reaction
They seemed a bit more disorganized than usual in the first vid. They already had a bike in the pit when Ox came in so they may have been a bit too focused on the first bike. Nothing really wrong with the pitting IMO.

They were actually changing the side case on the 4x bike when Ox came in, that's why they seemed pretty focused. Not bad...have to change a side case and still get the O/A.

BajaboundMoto

Reaction
"Bad pit work" and naming the videos "Bad JCR Honda Pits" - :confused::mad:
How about "Big crowd of spectators at pit".

Pretty lame IMO to say it was a bad JCR-Honda Pit crew.

The 1st video is Ox who blew past the pit then doubled-back. You can tell by watching after he got off the bike that his body/emotions were on the rev limiter. He was hammering and it showed. No surprise he slightly blew it.

The bike in the pit is Quinn/Kendall and the JCR guys are replacing an ignition cover. So it took ten minutes and Ox/Colty passed them in the pit, who else would have done it faster?

The 2nd video is the New Mexico guy and he blew past the pit too. The crew was screaming and waving but again there were too many people around. Nobody’s fault (IMO) except the spectators standing in the way.
The rider did u-turn back and get gas (as well as win the class).

There were tons of people standing around blocking the racers view of the Honda Pit and the pit crews view of the oncoming racers. Is that the fault of the racers or the pit crew?

It's really difficult to keep the crowd from standing in the way. You could get militant about it but with all the testosterone, adrenaline, and booze going around it's not worth the battle.

The JCR Honda Pits do an incredibly great job!

You might not understand, your profile says you do not race.

1wayne

Reaction

The 1st video is Ox who blew past the pit then doubled-back. You can tell by watching after he got off the bike that his body/emotions were on the rev limiter. He was hammering and it showed. No surprise he slightly blew it.

The bike in the pit is Quinn/Kendall and the JCR guys are replacing an ignition cover. So it took ten minutes and Ox/Colty passed them in the pit, who else would have done it faster?

The 2nd video is the New Mexico guy and he blew past the pit too. The crew was screaming and waving but again there were too many people around. Nobody’s fault (IMO) except the spectators standing in the way.

There were tons of people standing around blocking the racers view of the Honda Pit and the pit crews view of the oncoming racers. Is that the fault of the racers or the pit crew?

It's really difficult to keep the crowd from standing in the way. You could get militant about it but with all the testosterone, adrenaline, and booze going around it's not worth the battle. The JCR Honda Pits do an incredibly great job!

Tim, you nailed it, people that have not raced do not understand what it is like when you have raced for 100 or so miles and are trying to find your pit and people are standing around everywhere. Been there done that!

herzeleid

Reaction

It's really difficult to keep the crowd from standing in the way. You could get militant about it but with all the testosterone, adrenaline, and booze going around it's not worth the battle.

The JCR Honda Pits do an incredibly great job!

Whoa, you nailed me... as your friend stated before.
I don't race. Read my first post. That was my opinion, if you felt bad for the title of the video, i can change it. Maybe i needed a little explanation of the situation. Theres no need to be harsh, dude.

Why do the racers come to baja? would you race here if there were not crowd? It's part of your job to keep the crowd away from the pit. The people would steal your bike or car if you let them... so, don't blame them. My 2 cents.

Chase 2

Reaction
Most desert racers hate crowds. You want crowds & spectators, you race MX not dez.

craigincali

Reaction
Get a few races under YOUR belt then reasses the video. I think you will find that there is nothing wrong in that video....nothing !

TreyP

"F" you Bill
Reaction
Why do the racers come to baja? would you race here if there were not crowd? It's part of your job to keep the crowd away from the pit. The people would steal your bike or car if you let them... so, don't blame them. My 2 cents.

They come to race and enjoy the adventure of Baja.

It's next to impossible to keep the crowds away. It's why I prefer remote pits. Even those are crowded anymore. You can't tell the locals to leave. At the 500 this year we asked the locals to stay out please. When the TT came in I had 40 + people in the pit all over us. I could'nt see who was my crew and who were spectators. Will say when I asked them to help they did. Nothing stolen and all was good. Even got applause after the truck left.:cool:

But it was kinda sketchy in my book as most of them had been drinking all day.

I can say for a fact the JCR crew are the best out there. I think since you don't race or pit then you don't have a clue what it is like to be part of the action. Racing or pitting is controled chaos at all times.

cosmo

Super Moderator
Reaction
Why not remove this thread all together? I agree, it's not all that easy. Bikes have changed alot,Honda does the best job out there.