baja 1000 2015 accident with fatalities?

broke n baja

Reaction
is it true there was a driver and a spectator killed this year? who was the driver and were did it happen if its true?

TRichards

Reaction
Apparently it was the co driver who got out and was hit by another truck while trying to get unstuck. Mango Racing was the team. So SAD.....My Condolences

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Once we are sure the full family has been notified something will be posted with official information. Please leave the speculation off the internet until then. It's a sad situation for all involved.

ACME

Reaction
Our thoughts and prayers are with the family and team...

Chris Tobin

Reaction
What a bummer, sucks for the teams and families involved!!!

johndjmix

Reaction
Isn't there someone on here working on a system (I thought it was leadnav possibly) that sounds an alert in a truck if it's coming up on a stopped vehicle?

2nd bad accident like this in a few months. We need this system.

--John

Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com

pciscott

Reaction
Baja is unforgiving at times, the silt, visibility, and remoteness. Our thoughts and Prayers are with the Mango Team.

J Prich

Reaction
Standing by to spread the Fast-Aid word.

deano

McDeano
Reaction
Tragic accident, sorry for the horrible loss - Also, keep the fellow respected racer in the other vehicle, who was also involved in your thoughts, as he has a long road to recovery mentally ...

green787

Reaction
Please..... Keep your co-drivers in the race vehicle..... If at all possible.....

Hog Wild

Reaction
Isn't there someone on here working on a system (I thought it was leadnav possibly) that sounds an alert in a truck if it's coming up on a stopped vehicle?
2nd bad accident like this in a few months. We need this system.
The Sentinel system used in Dakar can sort of do that. The Rally Comp device that had its first test recently, and may be further tested in Sonora Rally next April can do that. The new device that Volocore is working on (but not yet completed in production form) can do that. When I talked with RN a few years ago about devices that do these types of things, I didn't get the feeling he was much interested, and that was just weeks after he himself had run over a biker in blinding dust.

streamline

Reaction
Please..... Keep your co-drivers in the race vehicle..... If at all possible.....
I have no idea about this situation but unfortunately one of a co-riders main jobs is getting out during race conditions, this is part of the job description. Obviously it is very dangerous and we try to do it in as safe a manner as possible but anything can happen.

So sad to hear this news I was thinking last night how amazing it was that I had not heard of any major accident. Well, I was wrong!

Coast

Reaction
Baja is unforgiving at times, the silt, visibility, and remoteness. Our thoughts and Prayers are with the Mango Team.
It's not just Baja. It's a lot of races. Parker is bad ! It's just a matter of time. Slow or stopped in blind dust is my worst fear! So often like this it's unavoidable to both parties. I'm sure all racers would be up for trying some kind of alert system even if it is not perfected yet . Even if it adds cost. If you're racing in this sport you can afford it!!

So sorry to the families for there loss! Wonderful team! Wonderful people!

DK

Hog Wild

Reaction
I'm sure all racers would be up for trying some kind of alert system even if it is not perfected yet.
Five years ago when I was working on an alert system the reception was pretty cold here. Start reading from the 6th post down in this thread from 2010 about this subject:
BITD To Test PASS ALERT Safety System at V2R

I have no idea if any warning system would have made any difference is the case of this very unfortunate 2015 incident. But now with systems coming available to do it, I doubt the off-road community is much more receptive than back 5 years ago. I dropped my own development in large part because the reception was cold. With little or no market, it would be a huge loss of investment in development and hardware build. Fortunately others have made good progress and we might be able to actually see it in action sometime soon.

Last edited: