• Forum membership has its advantages....

baja 1000 2015 accident with fatalities?

ACRacing

Five years ago when I was working on an alert system the reception was pretty cold here. Start reading from the 6th post down in this thread from 2010 about this subject:
BITD To Test PASS ALERT Safety System at V2R

I have no idea if any warning system would have made any difference is the case of this very unfortunate 2015 incident. But now with systems coming available to do it, I doubt the off-road community is much more receptive than back 5 years ago. I dropped my own development in large part because the reception was cold. With little or no market, it would be a huge loss of investment in development and hardware build. Fortunately others have made good progress and we might be able to actually see it in action sometime soon.
With all the Advancements and with all the people involved in our sport, around the world I find it very hard that this problem of an alert system is a problem, the Accident this weekend should never of happened. Its time if we want our sport to move forward this problem needs to disappear. We as in every offroad Organization and racer and just even the weekend warrior that is Responsible for what We should be onboard to make this happen.

Mike321

Why is everyone so quiet ? A co-driver DIED -- it's a bigger deal than pre-run speeds on the highway, a racer taking off with co-dog unstrapped, etc.

I have no idea who the co-dog was, but I saw the ambulance at the bottom of the course. If nobody talks about what happened, it's not going to prevent a repeat.

My condolences to the family and teams involved.

Last edited:

green787

Why is everyone so quiet ? A co-driver DIED -- it's a bigger deal than pre-run speeds on the highway, a racer taking off with co-dog unstrapped, etc.

I have no idea who the co-dog was, but I saw the ambulance at the bottom of the course. If nobody talks about what happened, it's not going to prevent a repeat.

My condolences to the family and teams involved.
Years ago, when people died off road racing, I used to wonder why it wasn't discussed more in these forums.....
In the end, it's a lot of blah, blah, blah, drama in someone's name that didn't and wouldn't want the drama anyway.....
So, if you think some device will solve the problem, then you do it for the good of those alive, and respect the Rest In Peace portion of what has come to pass...
The people that are alive, and being idiots are open to criticism.... The ones that died in our sport are legends and heroes.....

frostbite36

Capt. Hindsight
Ensenada.Net :: Noticias ::

use google to translate if needed.
My heart goes out to all involved, especially to friends and family of the deceased. :(

This news link doesn't work, so basically we have no official information from no where on this thread...

After being around similar incidents, I understand the tragedy, sensativity to the teams/individuals impacted, and notification of next of kin issues early on, but it's been 3 days now. Is there no first hand information?

Official or news agency info would be all that's needed. Thanks to all who are spreading the word under the flag of racing safety.
Baja is unforgiving at times, the silt, visibility, and remoteness. Our thoughts and Prayers are with the Mango Team.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Heathen43

It's a horrible tragedy that could have happened to any of us. It almost happened to some friends at bluewater race. They were stuck and they started the second race of faster cars. I don't think it would be a bad idea to wear some type of flashing light on your helmet and fire suit. Something that's the same color. Maybe a red light like the bikes wear. I don't think it's a complete solution but sure wouldn't hurt to try.

J Prich

Take away GPS from this sport.
Because that was the cause of this accident?

Maybe it's prudent to exercise a little patience, allow the families to handle their business, and then discuss the issue with the facts involved before advocating for large scale changes that no one is likely to embrace anyway.

Just my personal opinion, no offense.

Coast

Take away GPS from this sport.
That wouldn't change much. Most people know these courses very well. And in this case since they were in silt beds I'm sure they were just trying to maintain speed. Because you know if you stop you're done.

DK

Last edited:

Zac Reish

To the two guys above. Fair enough, and you're both right about what you said. But I guarantee this would make this sport as a whole more safe and reduce blind driving in dust.

I apologize to the families if this post seems insensitive I just feel this may help the future safety of the sport. I'm sorry for your loss. And sorry to the driver that was unfortunately involved in this accident.

BANNED4LIFE

To the two guys above. Fair enough, and you're both right about what you said. But I guarantee this would make this sport as a whole more safe and reduce blind driving in dust.

I apologize to the families if this post seems insensitive I just feel this may help the future safety of the sport. I'm sorry for your loss. And sorry to the driver that was unfortunately involved in this accident.
you are completely IGNORANT about this matter and your "guarantee" is WORTHLESS......wise the %uck up, our sport is DANGEROUS, very dangerous......ive been doing this for 30+ years, BEFORE gps, and currently.....its dangerous, people make mistakes, accidents happen, crashes happen....our sport is way safer WITH navigation than without, NO QUESTION...... my thoughts and prayers are with the family of our fellow racer that passed away, its hard to celebrate any victories with my thoughts about him and thinking how easily it could of been one of my guys or my daughters.....I cant imagine the pain they are going thru.....godspeed to our fallen brother.

ACME

Revive the GPS thread for those conversations but let's keep this thread on topic and be respectful. Godspeed to those we lost...

fishd00d

What A Joke
Mango Racing statement on the ACCIDENT.

In respect to our fallen teammate, his family, those involved, and our grieving team members, Mango Racing has tried to keep our Baja 1,000 experience to ourselves for a few days. Sadly the desert wasn't too kind to us this year. We lost a great man to an accident in the silt during the race. One of our co-drivers, Monty Droogsma, was hit by another race vehicle in attempt to dig our truck out of the silt. Silt can be extremely blinding to drivers and people on the ground alike. All safety precautions were taken, but unfortunately accidents can ALWAYS happen. Monty, may your body rest in peace and your soul wander freely. You will be missed dearly.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Just my little .02 about Monty. I only knew him from coming to the races in Baja and that was enough for me to know he was awesome. He loved having fun in the outdoors. Just the morning of the day before the race I had breakfast with him and we were talking fishing stories and he was telling me how I need to come out to Colorado and go ice fishing with him and how much fun it is. He wanted to go tuna fishing with me next summer since he had never caught anything that big before also.

The day of the race when we came into the Catavina pit in the TT where he was waiting to get in his truck he was the first one over to my window net handing me waters and snacks and making sure I was good to go. He gave me some rags and said we were doing awesome. I said thanks for the water and snacks and off we went. That would be the last time I would see him but that's exactly how he was every time I saw him, just making sure we were all good to go. RIP Monty and I'll be sure to catch some tuna for ya next season!!

Last edited:

Chaplain

God Dude
Thanks Fish for sharing the team's statement, and sharing your last moments with Monty.
We all lost a great competitor and friend in the desert, but his Team and family lost so much more. Monty left behind 3 kids, 3 grandkids with another one on the way. They lost the most and our hearts and prayers go out to them AND the team that struck him.
Nobody that competes signs up to take another life, a very devastating accident, my prayers are with all involved.

J Prich

Mango Racing statement on the ACCIDENT.

In respect to our fallen teammate, his family, those involved, and our grieving team members, Mango Racing has tried to keep our Baja 1,000 experience to ourselves for a few days. Sadly the desert wasn't too kind to us this year. We lost a great man to an accident in the silt during the race. One of our co-drivers, Monty Droogsma, was hit by another race vehicle in attempt to dig our truck out of the silt. Silt can be extremely blinding to drivers and people on the ground alike. All safety precautions were taken, but unfortunately accidents can ALWAYS happen. Monty, may your body rest in peace and your soul wander freely. You will be missed dearly.
I'm guessing the other party involved is equally uninterested in going public about any of this but if/when that time comes it would be nice to be able to pass on the same kind of support as I'm sure it's equally devastating to their team.

Sad that it happened and hope everyone continues to support each other to get through tough times.

redline

We lost an awesome friend and a person this race. Sadly it is truly a case of wrong place and wrong time for everyone involved. There wasn't anybody driving over their head, nobody doing anything they shouldn't have, definitely not having gps would not have helped; it was an accident and that's the only way to describe it. We all know the chances we take and still do it because we love racing. Everyone knows that these things happen but always try to think it won't happen to us. I know that's how I tried to look at it till this race and never will again.

Monte was one of those people who truly was a good friend immediately to anybody that would talk to him. He always was in a good mood even if things were bad he knew how to say something to cheer you up. He loved living and was just happy to be around family and friends and enjoyed everything he got a chance to try. I keep remembering him riding with me last Wednesday, telling me with a great big smile on his face that his daughter was having his 4th grandchild within the next day or two and that I needed to enjoy and cherish every second I get with my newborn daughter because time goes fast and kids are just "waaay too cool man".

trailready

Monte.jpg
Stay strong Devin and crew. RIP Monty. This photo.....