On Topic Baja 1000 2017 - post your favorite/hardest section

johndjmix

Reaction
For the 2017 Baja 1000 I kept the Trophylite truck at the shop, and raced on an ATV. The team i was on assigned (sportsman ATV 119A) assigned me sections and i had the section rm524-607. Hardest 83 miles I’ve ever rode. Silt, silt hills, silt ruts, rocky climbs, non stop whoops for the entire section. Guys were parking their bikes and sleeping under cactus’s.

When i came out from the quad ran out of fuel about 3 miles from the chase truck. Luckily a local was right there and gave me some gas from his car.

When i told him about what i just went though he said “you know what us locals call that in there (with a deep Spanish accent pointing at the section i just came out of)....”we call that HELL”.

Our team did great and finished last night :). Thanks to Rusty for his excellent prep on the quad and Anthony and Marco for taking serious miles.

On another note...does anyone know who rolled that case truck that was being talked about on weatherman? Are the occupants ok?

—John

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

Last edited:

offroadracer516

Reaction
Lol I had to point and say it to my self with a spanish accent. HELL!!! Great story. Would love to hear more.

desertspeed

Reaction
That section was the worst thing i have ever experienced in a vehicle. Hell is exactly what it was.

Best section for me was the ridgeline before dopping down into el arco. Fast, fun two track

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDDurfey

Reaction
^^ Did you finish? How did your truck do? I followed all of your build, so just curious.

desertspeed

Reaction
Unfortunately my right front wheel bearing seized and welded itself to the spindle. We couldnt even get the lock nut off. When we took the dust cap off all that was left of the bearings was black dust that came pouring out.

Still an epic adventure. I will do a full recap after i get back home.

Zambo

Reaction
I don't have the map in front of me but I assume that was the vicaino to Ignacio section. I wasn't racing so I didn't go thru there on the prerun but I let Rudy take my CanAm thru with his navigator. When they got done they looked horrified. I think they had a mild case of ptsd. They kept blabbering about some wall of silt that they hit. I'm pretty sure they were lying, haha.

nickybobby333

Reaction
I don't have the map in front of me but I assume that was the vicaino to Ignacio section. I wasn't racing so I didn't go thru there on the prerun but I let Rudy take my CanAm thru with his navigator. When they got done they looked horrified. I think they had a mild case of ptsd. They kept blabbering about some wall of silt that they hit. I'm pretty sure they were lying, haha.
Video or its not true!!

swiftracing5

Reaction
That same section was bypassed in 2007(?) and it was Highway from vizcaino to San Ignacio. Now we know why lol

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Kiwiflyer

Reaction
We iron maned it in a Baja Lite . The last 90 through the costal silt was the hardest after 42 hours behind the wheel

Baja Belk

Reaction
Yup. Highway crossing at 525 to San Ignacio were the worst 80 miles I've ever done. The fog, which rendered my visor useless and thus had me driving for 3 and a half hours without any eye protection, didn't help. I can't believe the deterioration from prerunning to race day. Hell is an apt description.

Speedy Gonzales

Reaction
For the 2017 Baja 1000 I kept the Trophylite truck at the shop, and raced on an ATV. The team i was on assigned (sportsman ATV 119A) assigned me sections and i had the section rm524-607. Hardest 83 miles I’ve ever rode. Silt, silt hills, silt ruts, rocky climbs, non stop whoops for the entire section. Guys were parking their bikes and sleeping under cactus’s.

When i came out from the quad ran out of fuel about 3 miles from the chase truck. Luckily a local was right there and gave me some gas from his car.

When i told him about what i just went though he said “you know what us locals call that in there (with a deep Spanish accent pointing at the section i just came out of)....”we call that HELL”.

Our team did great and finished last night :). Thanks to Rusty for his excellent prep on the quad and Anthony and Marco for taking serious miles.

On another note...does anyone know who rolled that case truck that was being talked about on weatherman? Are the occupants ok?

—John

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app
John, I know that Casey Currie had one of his support vehicles roll several times and all occupants will be okay

mebedb1

Reaction
Favorite section- RM 240-524.22 w/exception of the highway
Hardest section- Hwy 1, after completing our section and the Sat. phone PTT chimed in with the next sections Driver, saying the hub was Ripped from the trailing arm and was not repairable.

JBSTEVENS44

Reaction
Agreed vizcaino to Ignacio was my hardest section. I rode from 340-609 and 1013-1073. My favorite was either el arco to the large dirt rd that took us out to hwy1, or towards the end of my second section fast two track nice berms built up from trucks with a beautiful view of the pacific. When I got to 1073 I asked my teammate if he was sure he didn't want me to ride it in. I didn't want it to end.

AZ KIRBY

Reaction
I️ agree 1013-1073 was epic. I️ didn’t get race that section ( motor let go rm440 ) but when I️ preran it I was loving the wfo sections on the bike. And cruising the coast. The first 100 miles was awesome too.

BroadSword

Reaction
RM524 to 605 was brutal. As if the silt beds, soft sand, and whoops weren't bad enough, it was ZERO visibility at night in that hellish fog.

desertspeed

Reaction
RM524 to 605 was brutal. As if the silt beds, soft sand, and whoops weren't bad enough, it was ZERO visibility at night in that hellish fog.
I honestly don’t know if I would have made it through at night. Being able to see alternate lines and what obstacles were coming was huge. Although maybe it would have been better not to see how bad it was

Zambo

Reaction
I drove the RPM 8 truck thru there at night a few years ago. I knew it was going to be heinous silt from prerunning. Right away I started criss-crossing the trail, weaving thru bushes to stay out of the main rut. Eventually though I got to a place where joining the rut was the only option. We hammered through for a while and came to a big right turn. As we came around the turn we saw a 1 car stuck right in the middle a hundred meters or so ahead. I was banging that truck as hard as I could back and forth trying to get out of the rut. At the last second I got a fairly good swoop to the right and then the next time back to the left I got enough bite to turn the truck out of the rut. We went 90 degrees left out of the rut and escaped less that 30 feet from the stuck car. I can only imagine the wave of silt we must have thrown over those guys as we made the turn. I felt bad about it but I don't know what else I could have done. The sense of relief when we got past that section was huge.

jposey66

Reaction
Favorite section- RM 240-524.22 w/exception of the highway
Hardest section- Hwy 1, after completing our section and the Sat. phone PTT chimed in with the next sections Driver, saying the hub was Ripped from the trailing arm and was not repairable.
I'm assuming you're 1062 Coast Aluminum? I was chasing the crew that was in the car when it broke.

jposey66

Reaction
Was a crazy night. Wes and Mike hopped in at 11:50pm at RM524 and they didn't make it to BFG pit in San Ignacio (RM620ish) until 4:45AM. They were talking about the fog down in the silt beds. Was so bad that they couldn't run with their visors down. Fog would dampen everything and the silt would settle on it immediately. Wiping off the lights and visors would only last seconds. Then they had electrical issues that shut the car down and spent significant time working on that. They finally made it to BFG San Ignacio and picked up two new rear tires and fill of fuel. A good wipe down of the visors and a couple of power bars and they were ready to roll. Around 6:15am I got the call that they were broken and unable to proceed, approx 4 miles off of the pavement, headed towards San Juanico. Seemed like a freak scenario. the rock they hit was no larger than a helmet. Somehow it split the rim in half around it. The loose part was the inside ring and the caliper was knocked off and the hub broke all of it's mounting bolts. Strange thing is that tire seemed to have suffered no damage. Hindsight is always 20/20 but too bad there wasn't another spare hub

IMG_0697.jpg
IMG_0698.jpg