Baja 1000 bike cost?

Slosh1

Reaction
Do you guys have a guess on the average cost to race a bike in the baja 1000? I talking about the full deal. Entry fees, baha pits the entire thing. Bucket list. I would like to get there in a couple years and need to know what's realistic. Thank you in advance.

Josh 8

Reaction
$50k

That’s figuring 2 weeks in baja. Prerunning. Hotels. Meals. 20 g’s in a bike with prep. 4-5 riders. 4-5 chasers/crew. 3 chase trucks that need gas. The whole deal.

Don’t get hurt prerunning and miss the race.

Last edited:

Slosh1

Reaction
50k? Really? Dude, I didnt know they had Ritz carlton's down there. Is that with or without massage therapy at each pit?

Josh 8

Reaction
Really. Your going to ridicule me for giving you a fair and honest answer to your question after you admit your a green horn nob by asking the question in the first place.

Remember you said “I am talking about the full deal”.

Good luck to you. Your gonna need it.

DRZ_Motorsports_119

Reaction
Entry Fee $3-4K depeding loop or penninsula run, race bike $7K (minimum) + other expenses.

No way under $10K.

slim01

Reaction
Depends if you are going to supply your own chase crew or use someone like Baja Bound to provide you a package. Also depends on whether its a loop race or a peninsula run.

I've used Baja Bound (Tim Morton) for both the B1K (peninsula) and V2R. Both times they supplied everything, I just turned up and rode. For the B1K we did about 10ish days prerunning, 2 days racing, stayed in La Paz a couple of days and then drove back with them. They'll supply you a prerun bike (or 2 if you have more than 1 rider), and a race bike capable of a podium (if you're good enough).

You'll also get a chase guy (ask for Ricardo) for the whole time you're prerunning, transport and accommodation. We then had Tim and Ricardo chase us down to La Paz on race day/s. Its a big effort for those guys who chase as they're either on the road chasing you to a pit or prepping at a pit ready for you and then refuel, repairs etc and then repeat for 30+hrs.

Expect to pay $25k+ for that sort of thing. It sounds expensive (it is) but you are getting a premium service and the closest thing to a guaranteed as you'll get in the racing world. They also have a 100% finish record for their supported riders.

I know it can be done cheaper but when you're flying in from the other side of the planet to race, I am more than happy with their service and the result. Its without a doubt the best money I've ever spent.
Finish2.jpg

Slosh1

Reaction
20k in the bike,
Really. Your going to ridicule me for giving you a fair and honest answer to your question after you admit your a green horn nob by asking the question in the first place.

Remember you said “I am talking about the full deal”.

Good luck to you. Your gonna need it.
I'm just joking around. Thanks for the input.

Dustino81

Reaction
I’ll be in it around 15k for this years 1000 , pro Ironman. That includes pre-running , complete Motor rebuild , pit boxes , fuel , and I hired Monkey Business Workshop for the pitting and logistics . I’m also driving down from WA state . 50k is absurd , I recommend getting an AirBnb as well , considerably cheaper than hotels

Baja Dad

Reaction
If you want a somewhat stock bike. .....Fly and ride No pre running with 5 nights Hotels $15K
If you want a REAL race Bike......Fly and ride with 5 days of pre running with 10 nights Hotels $25K
This dose NOT include your Membership ,Entry fee and Transportation to and from

rustyb

Reaction
$10k is a reasonable estimate. So is $50k. So many variables, so many decisions to make. Is this a once in a lifetime thing, that you will forever regret not having spent enough money to do it right? Or if you DNF, will you learn from it and come back more ready the next year? Do you hope to be competitive? If so, you must prerun--more time off work, more lodging, more gas, another bike. Are you going to freshen up an old bike, or buy a brand new one, strip it to the frame, and start from there (hence the $20k Josh 8 mentions)? Do you have the mechanical skills to do the prep work yourself, or must you pay a shop? Are you going to pay a pit service, or run around and do it yourself? Do you have friends who will pay their own way to come help, or do you have to pick up their food, gas, and lodging costs? Are you ok with sleeping in your truck at the side of the highway after your section, or do you need a room waiting? What are you doing for spares-a couple of tubes and tires and crossed fingers, or a couple of complete spare bikes for several chase trucks to try to keep in the vicinity of the race bike, and to cannibalize as necessary? It's all up to you...

Rslhc

Reaction
Working through this now to accomplish a lifelong goal myself. A budget effort came in around $25k all in with a bike and moderate mods. If you’d like my budget worksheet shoot me a pm with your email.

cjohnson

Reaction
There first year I went was to the Baja 500 about 4 years ago. Low budget. Three guys in an old truck with two used KTMs. We had the bikes already from local desert racing. We used Baja pits and the two guys not riding chased. We probably spent $3k split two ways. We entered the sportsman class, which I think the entry fee was $1600. I can say our fun per dollar quotient was very high. My brother has ridden in the 1000 several times on other teams and it was not too costly as everyone chipped in and they had sponsors to help with the bike. If you can find several other people interested then you can split the costs.

Diving straight into the Baja 1000 takes some cojones. Good luck! The only regret you'll have is not going sooner.

cosmo

Super Moderator
Reaction
Contact Tim at Baja Bound Moto. They can set you up from start to finish.

cynicwanderer

Reaction
I recommend doing a shorter state side race first; something like BITD vegas to reno or SS300. it's much cheaper (logistics and entry fees) and will give you an idea of what to expect, before you end up spending a lot of money on a B1000 entry.

the estimates given are reasonable. big variable is the bike, as mentioned, if you are doing your own bike you can buy a used bike for 5-7K, and put money in it to race prep, or buy a used race prepped bike for 10-15k. A bike off the showroom floor will still need to be race prepped and is probably 15-20k when you're done, depending on whether you do it yourself or have someone prep it. you can rent a bike as part of a fly and ride package, but don't know what they run. of course, you can race what you brung, but the chances of finishing go way down, if you don't prep your bike for these races or you chose the wrong bike.

entry fees are pretty fixed, but figure that you will be paying money here and there for misc. things and parts and it will all add up quickly. basically, you will max our your card at some point....doing a B1000...lol

anyway, no matter what or how much money you spend, you will have the adventure of your life, as it's highly unlikely that anything will go as planned or budgeted.

Last edited:

BajaboundMoto

Reaction
@Slosh1 how about you give a little more info.
The numbers you'll get will be/are all over the board until you are more specific.

Solo or as a team? If a team, how many riders?
What area, part of the world, State, are you in? (logistically it does matter)
Do you have any desert racing experience?
Do you have Baja riding experience?
What kind of bike/s do you have and what do you want to race?
How fast are you or your team? (yes it matters because, like what we do building race bikes, we will not build the same thing for an average ironman or average team of guys as we would for teams we've had that can run in the top 5 OA or a really fast ironman)

Also, an important one, what's your goal? Win a class? Just finish?
I see SO MANY people talking on forums how their goal is to finish a Baja 500/1000, and I can tell they're going about it in a way I'd never suggest, sometimes don't even take free advice from me, and they DNF. But hey, they know better... And then post-race these same people say it was all about the adventure and they have crazy stories. I DO NOT LIKE DRAMA STORIES. I like boring events, that means it went like clockwork.
@slim01 is one of the gnarliest dudes I've ever met, and was one of the only post-race stories I've ever written. THAT was an adventure, but I'd rather have been bored ;-)
So, what's your goal?

And regarding @Josh 8 comment about cost and your reply about Ritz Carlton's, Baja is unlike most places most people race (other than Beatty NV). Sometimes nice (decent) rooms for $70 ramp up to $180 on race week with a 3-night minimum, and they'll see out, and it's SAFE parking. Back when entry numbers were really high those places would be $180 for the entire week! Or you can get crappy rooms with crappy parking and hope you stuff is always there and spend $60/night.
There are reasons we stay in certain places. One of those reasons is how central the place is. It really can be a pain, especially with a team (solo easier), to have to trek miles into town for sign up, tech, etc, find parking (safe), get supplies, food, or whatever.
Being central is nice.
I'm not so into the Airbnb thing.
Also your race week help, are they reliable? Guess again. We ALWAYS, literally every race, get inquiries from people needing help, a driver, hotels, whatever. It never fails. Do we assist them, not usually, because by that point close to a race we've got nobody available.

So, that being said and with very little info to go off, it will be $13,000 to $40,000.