• Forum membership has its advantages....

Baja 1000 bike cost?

Slosh1

I recommend doing a shorter state side race first; something like BITD vegas to reno or SS300. it's much cheaper (logistics and entry fees) and will give you an idea of what to expect, before you end up spending a lot of money on a B1000 entry.

the estimates given are reasonable. big variable is the bike, as mentioned, if you are doing your own bike you can buy a used bike for 5-7K, and put money in it to race prep, or buy a used race prepped bike for 10-15k. A bike off the showroom floor will still need to be race prepped and is probably 15-20k when you're done, depending on whether you do it yourself or have someone prep it. you can rent a bike as part of a fly and ride package, but don't know what they run. of course, you can race what you brung, but the chances of finishing go way down, if you don't prep your bike for these races or you chose the wrong bike.

entry fees are pretty fixed, but figure that you will be paying money here and there for misc. things and parts and it will all add up quickly. basically, you will max our your card at some point....doing a B1000...lol

anyway, no matter what or how much money you spend, you will have the adventure of your life, as it's highly unlikely that anything will go as planned or budgeted.
Thanks for the input, I’m doing the v2r this year and it will be my 3rd. I guess recycling aluminum cans ain’t gonna do it

Slosh1

@Slosh1 how about you give a little more info.
The numbers you'll get will be/are all over the board until you are more specific.

Solo or as a team? If a team, how many riders?
What area, part of the world, State, are you in? (logistically it does matter)
Do you have any desert racing experience?
Do you have Baja riding experience?
What kind of bike/s do you have and what do you want to race?
How fast are you or your team? (yes it matters because, like what we do building race bikes, we will not build the same thing for an average ironman or average team of guys as we would for teams we've had that can run in the top 5 OA or a really fast ironman)

Also, an important one, what's your goal? Win a class? Just finish?
I see SO MANY people talking on forums how their goal is to finish a Baja 500/1000, and I can tell they're going about it in a way I'd never suggest, sometimes don't even take free advice from me, and they DNF. But hey, they know better... And then post-race these same people say it was all about the adventure and they have crazy stories. I DO NOT LIKE DRAMA STORIES. I like boring events, that means it went like clockwork.
@slim01 is one of the gnarliest dudes I've ever met, and was one of the only post-race stories I've ever written. THAT was an adventure, but I'd rather have been bored ;-)
So, what's your goal?

And regarding @Josh 8 comment about cost and your reply about Ritz Carlton's, Baja is unlike most places most people race (other than Beatty NV). Sometimes nice (decent) rooms for $70 ramp up to $180 on race week with a 3-night minimum, and they'll see out, and it's SAFE parking. Back when entry numbers were really high those places would be $180 for the entire week! Or you can get crappy rooms with crappy parking and hope you stuff is always there and spend $60/night.
There are reasons we stay in certain places. One of those reasons is how central the place is. It really can be a pain, especially with a team (solo easier), to have to trek miles into town for sign up, tech, etc, find parking (safe), get supplies, food, or whatever.
Being central is nice.
I'm not so into the Airbnb thing.
Also your race week help, are they reliable? Guess again. We ALWAYS, literally every race, get inquiries from people needing help, a driver, hotels, whatever. It never fails. Do we assist them, not usually, because by that point close to a race we've got nobody available.

So, that being said and with very little info to go off, it will be $13,000 to $40,000.
All legit questions @BajaboundMoto. I’m based out of SoCal and ride desert often. Not sure if this will end up being solo or a team yet, need to see if there are any friends that I know won’t need babysitters and can figure **** out if things go sideways down there. I ride desert frequently and raced the 2016/2018 & plan to hit this years race. As far as the bike I’ve been racing the 300 2smoker. As far as speed I do okay but not top 5. Winning class should be my goal but it wouldn’t be the end of the world if I didn’t. Honestly the most important goal is to finish and minimize getting caught by the Trophy Trucks. I’ve spent a fair amount of time on surf trips pretty far down Baja so it’s not completely alien.

Many things to plan still. Everyone’s input is helpful.

DRZ_Motorsports_119

Maybe try to race some RECORD and CODE in Baja, the local off-road series has step up there game with the RECORD Ensenada - San Quintin 250 and CODE Mexicali 500.

Some SCORE beat up race courses + plus some different stuff for a fraction of the cost before stepping into the big leagues.

Good way to start shaping up your team and logistics before the big one, personally I think that racing Moto in SCORE is getting way rougher than in the past, plus had night time starting.

Good luck

kris_r

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum. I'm trying to join a team heading to Baja in 2019 or 2020. I've been riding bikes for a few decades, have strong wrench skills, and work as a producer in advertising and have strong logistical skills. Oh, I used to live in Ecuador and Peru and speak Spanish fluently and have been to Mexico 8 or so time (but never Baja). I'd love to get plugged in with a team and run support assistance.

Sorry to highjack the thread!

jon coleman

apology accepted, thats My job, just kidding, this is probably the best thread& web site to get the word out!, good luck;)ps, get it on classified s too , position wanted, misc?, some one will let you know

kris_r

kris_r , where are you located?
Bajabound, I’m in Portland, OR.

My long term goal is to race down there, but for now I’d love to join a support team in any capacity for the SF250, Baja 500, or Baja 1000. I figure it’s a good way to understand the races and get a lay of the land and learn whatever I can from experienced people.

kris_r

apology accepted, thats My job, just kidding, this is probably the best thread& web site to get the word out!, good luck;)ps, get it on classified s too , position wanted, misc?, some one will let you know
Thanks for the tip! Classifieds sounds good.

BajaboundMoto

The ironman class has a lot of entries, nice!
I ride desert frequently and raced the 2016/2018 & plan to hit this years race.
So @Slosh1 , did you get a team together for this years race?
And i'm a little confused... does that quote mean you've raced the 1000 in '16 and '18? But you're asking how much a 1000 costs?
I’ll be in it around 15k for this years 1000 , pro Ironman. That includes pre-running , complete Motor rebuild , pit boxes , fuel , and I hired Monkey Business Workshop for the pitting and logistics . I’m also driving down from WA state . 50k is absurd , I recommend getting an AirBnb as well , considerably cheaper than hotels
@Dustino81 , just curious, since you're prepping and racing your own KTM and getting yourself an AirBnb, what are you using Monkey Business for?

Last edited:

Dustino81

The ironman class has a lot of entries, nice!

So @Slosh1 , did you get a team together for this years race?
And i'm a little confused... does that quote mean you've raced the 1000 in '16 and '18? But you're asking how much a 1000 costs?
@Dustino81 , just curious, since you're prepping and racing your own KTM and getting yourself an AirBnb, what are you using Monkey Business for?
I’m using them for logistics/spare parts if needed ( additional cost ) / mechanical support/fuel/and all their pits are equipped with race radios/sat phones. I have a decent spare part package myself, but my team lacks necessary communication equipment and experience. I’m bringing my crew down as well,while my crew can turn a wrench if needed, they’re certainly not bike mechanics just felt they offered a more focused support for the KTM guys than Baja Pits and felt Monkey Business gave myself the best opportunity for the results I’m looking for , nothing but great things to say about Baja Pits tho

aki69

I've done a dozen or so Baja races, solo and team. I usually spent around $12,000 to $15,000 for solo 1000, that includes, race bike and prerunner prep, travel, lodging, food, gas, race registration, baja pits, stella. It does not include purchase of bikes or fixing the bikes up after the race. Obviously racing with a team is less than that. For the 250 the same expenses have been around $7,000 or so.

El Mamito USMC

you can do it with about 10K but also depends on the preparations of the bike or quad and the extra things.

its 3500 for entry, 1000 for pit support, that's the basic. so add fuel(which is very expensive), food, lodging for prerunning and then race day. so the overall cost are close to 10k so it depends on how many racers you split the cost..