Baja 1000 Chase SAFETY: Is SCORE Listening?

Baja_Seve

Reaction
Just got back home tonight from 2 successful weekends of Baja 1000 prerunning. I am a former racer and now chaser, since 1991, and offer the following, because I feel there is a very REAL and legitimate safety concern for both racers and chasers in this unusual Baja 1000. For me and my fellow dudes that have been doing this for years? We think so.

Both Mex Highway 1 and Highway 3 will have both racers (albeit at 60 MPH) and chasers, going in both directions, with many having the irrefutable-estupidio concept of "get-there-i-tis." Get-there-itis is for morons. If you plan early, but plan for getting there late, you'll be just fine: ref Bob Bowers' "What About You?"

Hwy 1 has many local farming communities, and the resultant minibus traffic, that are actually unaware there is a race going on. Nothing new, Score has done this before. How about those newbie teams?

Hwy 3 will be totally in darkness. Scary stuff here. Hope to God your chasers have their discipline together. This is downright clear. And yes... we know you have badass LED lights. Turn em off!

Is this an issue? In my early years, No. In today's mindset, it needs to be considered.

My recommendations:
-Local media advertise a race is upcoming, and then executing. In all communities.
-Read Bob Bowers' "All About You."
-Have Score CEO Roger Norman and Race Director Jose Grivalba recognize the SAFETY concern and make a announcement. And NOT at the night-before racers meeting.
-Each race team should plan for an addtional truck/asset to meet your intent, without your asset "racing" to its destination. If it looks even close, don't do it.
-Have each race team emphasize the importance of SAFETY within their race teams, and understand what's unusual about this race on Hwy 1 and Hwy 3.

What say you?

Mike321

Reaction
I agree with you on the chase truck light bar issue. They are extremely helpful, but if you see any light, turn them off! I've commented on this before.

az_amsoil

Reaction
This is going to be interesting. I'm very concerned about the tight/twisty sections of Hwy 1 (Say Santo Tomas to San Vicente) and Hyw 3 (Ensenada to Ojos). Also, if teams think they can chase from anywhere south of San Vicente over to Valle T on race day, your kidding yourself and putting your chase people at risk.

Most of the race is at night, this is when the cows like wander across the road...coyotes love Hwy 3 at night...drunks spectators will be "racing" from the Pacific side to the hwy 3 side to catch the action coming back into Ensenada.

PLEASE, PLEASE be safe out there!!! If you can't make it to your pit, its not worth your life and others to push it.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
And please, if you are a racer and might be being held up by a little slower traffic, bailing off the highway and driving through pits at 60 mph trying to pass that semi with 4 cars behind it may get others KILLED! And yes, I am speaking from experience.

Goatpoker

Reaction
Is self policing the answer? All chase trucks have team numbers so if the team is penalized for Richard Cranium activity then this should naturally trickle down and teams will only bring chasers that are responsible? Maybe?

Report behavior to Rog and we demand that there are consequences, I.e. Fines or penalties

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
Is self policing the answer? All chase trucks have team numbers so if the team is penalized for Richard Cranium activity then this should naturally trickle down and teams will only bring chasers that are responsible? Maybe?

Report behavior to Rog and we demand that there are consequences, I.e. Fines or penalties

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today
There is no requirement for chase trucks to have numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

y2kbaja

Reaction
Those of us that are reading this thread care. Maybe it's us that need to run Go-Pro's or other in car cameras in our chase trucks to record and report the activity of the Richard Craniums chasers that are out there.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
Those of us that are reading this thread care. Maybe it's us that need to run Go-Pro's or other in car cameras in our chase trucks to record and report the activity of the Richard Craniums chasers that are out there.
Karma got us for sorta cutting in line once. I had to clean the bathroom at the Pemex in Valle T just to use it.

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Reaction
NO RACE IS WORTH A LIFE. Please keep that in mind. There's always next year and next race.

BajaboundMoto

Reaction
Yeah, what @Baja_Seve said!

And I'll keep saying it, IMO all Hwy.3 racing should be at a lower speed than 60.
So sketchy having 2-way race traffic and spectators and chase trucks (probably with their HIDs all burning) and pits and the San Matias twisties and...

Mike321

Reaction
I agree with you on the chase truck light bar issue. They are extremely helpful, but if you see any light, turn them off! I've commented on this before.
I'm replying to my own post with a link to a thread I started. I've used this device a lot in the last year and it is very helpful. I have it programmed to turn on/off the front inner HIDs, frount outer HIDs and a roof mounted LED and I have three open channels that I haven not utilized yet.

With the press of one button they all turn off. I suggest keeping one eye closed shortly before terminating them all at once to help with the transition from mass light to normal driving lights.

Link: Economical Switch Controller – Feniex 4200 Mini

Disclaimer: I bought my unit and have no connections to the manufacture. I like it a lot, it's worked well for me and I've never blinded any of you.

Last edited:

Mike321

Reaction
One more reminder, when at a Pemex make sure they put the correct fuel type in your chase truck. I had 40 gallons of gas put in my diesel. It took ~ three hours to get it all out earlier this year, luckily the issue was spotted prior to the truck starting after refueling.

Edit -- and fuel up the night before, not on your way out of town:)

Last edited:

Mark_Weyhrich

Reaction
There is no requirement for chase trucks to have numbers.

Really?? There used to be.

Anyone who doesn't have them is a fool. Sometimes it is the best/only way for people outside your team to identify you in the event your race vehicle and/or other team members have a problem.

It is not necessarily enforceable, but should absolutely be in the rule book. Besides, doesn't everyone like numbers on their truck!?!

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction

Anyone who doesn't have them is a fool. Sometimes it is the best/only way for people outside your team to identify you in the event your race vehicle and/or other team members have a problem.

It is not necessarily enforceable, but should absolutely be in the rule book. Besides, doesn't everyone like numbers on their truck!?!
I actually never checked against any rule book myself. But it was something I was told a few years ago. I don't remember by who but I remember thinking they we smart and probably knew what they were taking about.

Pre runners don't require numbers either, right?

FWIW, if it's not an enforceable rule, then the rule is pointless, don't ya think?

I've had conversations with people who don't want to have registered, numbered, identifiable chase trucks and those who do, I can understand both sides.

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Reaction

It used to be almost a badge of honor to be associated with a team. I think people strayed from this when chase vehicles started damaging teams' reputations and even adding penalties.

BajaboundMoto

Reaction
Copied from another forum, I cannot vouch for it, just sayin'...

"I will not be working my usual rescue/medical this time around. In fact it appears all the US based medic groups will not be working (You can thank Roger for this). After the cluster we had at the 500 I was hoping that command and communications would improve but it does not appear that way. I offered to sit in the command post and run and coordinate the medical side along with Cruz Rojas and all I wanted was to supply me with a hotel room for a couple of days.
Nada.
So, I'll be down just spectating this time. Will have a med bag should the need arise. Probably in the San Quintin area."

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Reaction
Anyone else hear a rumor that SCORE might be up for sale or close to being sold?

MasTacos

Reaction
It's important for crews to also be aware of and plan for delays associated with road construction. There's lots of it happening and the delays experienced in sitting in traffic can heighten the anxiety of missing the race car to the point of making some extremely bad decisions. A little planning can help avoid some pretty extreme consequences.