Baja 1000 Chase Supplies

Rslhc

Hey there. Long time reader here, finally signed up for an account to start engagingly the conversations here. To start that I have a question. I am putting together a team to race the 1k likely in 2021. We will be doing some racing events between now and then to get ready, but I am in the planning and logistics phase.

One of the things I am curious on is what you all carry for bike spare parts with the chase teams. We will be running a gen 1 450x, and at least two of the team riders (planning for 3 rider team) have 450x’s that will pre-run bikes, and then along for the ride with the chase teams, so effectively spare parts bikes.

What I have on my list so far:
  • Wheels / tires
  • Air filters
  • Clutch perch / lever
  • Front Brake lever
  • Throttle tube + grips (use ODI system, so both grips)
  • Handlebars?
  • Shifter
  • Rear brake pedal
  • BD squadron headlight (on pre-run bike)

Any other thoughts on spare parts?

(Future posts also coming on other sides of B1k planning)

cosmo

Super Moderator
A bike in the chase trucks . You can pull out the bike in case the race bike gets stopped(failure) or to send a rider in, etc.. LOT'S of BIG chains and locks too.

Rslhc

A bike in the chase trucks . You can pull out the bike in case the race bike gets stopped(failure) or to send a rider in, etc.. LOT'S of BIG chains and locks too.
Yeah, that’s why we are trying to keep the pre run and race bikes the same to have rolling spares.

And yes, definitely need to keep them locked up.

Rslhc

Radiators and coolant. Plumbing epoxy is handy too for cracked cases.
Already had coolant (and all other necessary fluids) on a separate list. I may start shopping for some good used radiators though. Good thought. I guess it wouldn’t take that long to swap one on these bikes.

Rslhc

Exhaust, header and silencer. Cold weather gear.
Good thought on the exhaust. I’ll start sourcing some stock exhausts to have available.

And for sure on the cold weather gear. Been thinking through that already. From talking to people and watching YouTube videos, seems that’s an element a lot of newer teams miss. I know that last year I was spectating the 1000 and watched the bikes come through the beach section near San Vicente (RM670~) and once the sun went down it got COLD on the coast.

pgarfinkle

Clutch cable (on the race bike) and brake lines.

Rslhc

Clutch cable (on the race bike) and brake lines.
I like the idea of a clutch cable on the bike, could just zip tie it to the other one, and would even be a possible trail-side repair. I have thought about having a spare front brake system prepped and bled just in case, as I have heard of several people having issues with front brake calipers. At some point the spares get unreasonable though. Trying to figure out where that line of 'prepared' and 'crazy obsessive' is for an amateur team. Also trying to keep finances in check, realistically the spare parts list has to be multiplied by either 3x or 4x depending on what we decide with chase strategies. So this could get pricey.

Spare clutch basket, plates and springs ready to go.
I have thought about spare plates and springs. I will probably be upgrading to a Hinson basket on the race bike, so I think a spare clutch basket might be a bit overkill. I don't know, you have any experience with needing to replace a basket mid-race? Seems like it would be a bit more time consuming than even replacing plates and springs.

pgarfinkle

I like the idea of a clutch cable on the bike, could just zip tie it to the other one, and would even be a possible trail-side repair. I have thought about having a spare front brake system prepped and bled just in case, as I have heard of several people having issues with front brake calipers. At some point the spares get unreasonable though. Trying to figure out where that line of 'prepared' and 'crazy obsessive' is for an amateur team. Also trying to keep finances in check, realistically the spare parts list has to be multiplied by either 3x or 4x depending on what we decide with chase strategies. So this could get pricey..

Yeah, you run the cable in place parallel to the one in use and then just tuck the ends away safely with a zip tie or two. As for a lot of the other parts, its nice just to have your prerunners set up similar so they can be donor bikes if need be. Then you only need a couple misc parts in the chase trucks with no prerunner.

The Honda 450X is an ultra reliable bike well suited to this type of racing and a proper prep will pay dividends. The spares are really for any accidents or freak issues. Most times we have only changed air filters and tires/wheels from green to checkered.

Rslhc

Yeah, you run the cable in place parallel to the one in use and then just tuck the ends away safely with a zip tie or two. As for a lot of the other parts, its nice just to have your prerunners set up similar so they can be donor bikes if need be. Then you only need a couple misc parts in the chase trucks with no prerunner.

The Honda 450X is an ultra reliable bike well suited to this type of racing and a proper prep will pay dividends. The spares are really for any accidents or freak issues. Most times we have only changed air filters and tires/wheels from green to checkered.
Yeah I have had a 450x for 5+ years now and have been very impressed with durability and how well it handles the desert here in AZ. And we are totally tracking with you on having the pre-run bikes mirror the race bike within reason.

How often do you normally do air filter changes? We are planning to do tires every 200-250, and im wondering if thats a good time to do air filters also?

pgarfinkle

Yeah I have had a 450x for 5+ years now and have been very impressed with durability and how well it handles the desert here in AZ. And we are totally tracking with you on having the pre-run bikes mirror the race bike within reason.

How often do you normally do air filter changes? We are planning to do tires every 200-250, and im wondering if thats a good time to do air filters also?
Yes, that is a good starting point.

While the mileage is important, it is more important to make the changes based on the terrain you are running. 200 -250 miles might be okay when running a lot of pavement and hard packed sections but if you are going through some the nastier silt beds, that reduces the duration between changes.

Also your rear tire will wear out much quicker than your front. So you get away with changing that less often as long as you don't run into any issues, ie. flats, bent rim, busted spokes.

Rslhc

Ok thanks. We are planning to use Baja pits for fuel and stop-gap type assistance with our chase teams providing ride changes and larger support. Do you send air filters out with Baja Pits or just with your chase teams?

jon coleman

bigger the chain better.friends yzf& tool box nabbed.out of back of truck at hotel.locked up too, chain not big enough he said.....bring really good barb wire cutting tool.got some once down there, it tends to make bike handle kinda funny....

pgarfinkle

Ok thanks. We are planning to use Baja pits for fuel and stop-gap type assistance with our chase teams providing ride changes and larger support. Do you send air filters out with Baja Pits or just with your chase teams?
I would use Baja Pits for fuel stops and emergencies and have your chase guys set up to do everything else. It can get a little chaotic at times.

Nothing against Baja Pits as I have used them in the past with no issues but a better option using a service like Champion Adventures run by former champion Colton Udall. He has a dialed in pit plan and is very knowledgeable about the Hondas and racing down.

mxracer50

I do this with a throttle cable also, never needed either but always liked knowing I had them there.

Chew369

Your list looks good. Just start with a fresh clutch (plates & springs), new cables but spares are always a good idea, brake pads just in case there is a freak rain storm or a small rock gets in there and wears them down and axles are a good idea if you hit something hard enough to bend/break a wheel you should change your axle as well. Another set of lights for the race bike in the right location, but have a normal BD number plate light ready to go in your chase vehicles so if your spare race lights are not that close you still can ride at night and get to the race lights. Spare stater, rectifier and wiring harness. If you run Flexx Bars you won't really need to worry about extra bars. I always have way too many spares at the races but I am a believer of if I have it I probably won't need it. Just have your spares, bolts, etc organized and easily accessible so if you need them at a pit you don't waste too much time.