Baja 1000 - Getting Involved

wfritts911

Reaction
I start a 6 month sabbatical from my day job tomorrow and am planning on coming down to spectate the 1000 and then ride Baja afterwards on my dirt bike. Hoping to get involved with a team or something and help in pits/chase/etc. Might be coming solo unless I can convince some friends who are still employed to come with. Never been involved with desert racing but my background is:
  • Mechanical Engineer specializing in 3D design of industrial equipment (Solidworks)
  • Dirt bike rider/casual racer(hare scrambles and enduros), autocross and drag racing street cars.
  • Very mechanical savvy. Swapped an LS1 into a Datsun 280Z and BMW E30, rebuilt transmissions/rear ends/etc.
  • Did Baja SAE for three years in college(University of Arkansas). Won some trophies, broke a lot of parts, fixed a lot of parts(That's me with our calibrated spindle straightening pole, my custom brake calipers using mountain bike pads, and a picture of our car). For those not familiar it's a collegiate competition with 100+ schools who build a small buggy powered by a Briggs 10HP motor.
I'm pretty much free from now until the race. I'm located in Northwest Arkansas, but heading to Colorado, Utah, etc starting next week to ride dirt bikes. Could come down early for pre-running and what not if I had the opportunity. One of my friends who I am trying to convince to come with is also a mechanical engineer, but he would only be available during race time. Any advice you guys can give would be much appreciated, whether its how to get involved, where I should stay/spectate/etc. Would love to get hooked up with a semi-professional team or similar, not sure if that's feasible or not.

Thanks,

Will

Baja SAE Spindle Straightener.jpgBaja SAE Calipers.jpgBaja SAE trophies.jpg

MasTacos

Reaction
My early experiences with Baja were with Mag7 working on pit crews. They're a great bunch of guys with a ton of Baja experience. It's a good place to get your feet wet and see the race.

Hit them up on their Facebook page for more info

https://www.facebook.com/magseven.pitcrew/

atvrcr88

Reaction
Where in northwest Arkansas do you live? I live outside Marshall.

y2kbaja

Reaction
What Mas Tacos said...Either Mag7 or Baja Pits. You'll see a lot of action there.

calstyl2

Reaction
Help with recovery in known trouble spots, Silt beds or hills
Camp out somewhere and enjoy the show

Josh 8

Reaction
Don’t ride after the race. Ride before the race (prerun). There will be lots going on and plenty to see too about 3-5 days before the race. After the race the course is torn up and lonely place. And you can probably hook up with guys while your riding. But it’s best to ride with a buddy down there. Anything can happen and lots of the race is really remote.

Take a plb with you. It could save your life. But it only works if there is some one in town waiting for you and can drive out and find you if it goes off.

You know the more I think about it. Prerun with a buddy. You have about 2 months to find one.

God bless and good luck. You will have a blast.

Last edited:

wfritts911

Reaction
My early experiences with Baja were with Mag7 working on pit crews. They're a great bunch of guys with a ton of Baja experience. It's a good place to get your feet wet and see the race.

Hit them up on their Facebook page for more info

https://www.facebook.com/magseven.pitcrew/
Thanks, I will reach out to them.

Where in northwest Arkansas do you live? I live outside Marshall.
I'm in Fayetteville (Northwest Arkansas)

If you’re in Southern California come by Baja HQ and ask for Cameron or Renee.
Baja HQ - Truck & Moto Trips to Baja
We race Trophy Trucks too.
There’s always some sort of adventure going on.
I will be coming out to San Diego when I head down, but wasn't planning on being out that way before unless there was something going on for sure. Will send you a PM for more details.

Don’t ride after the race. Ride before the race (prerun). There will be lots going on and plenty to see too about 3-5 days before the race. After the race the course is torn up and lonely place. And you can probably hook up with guys while your riding. But it’s best to ride with a buddy down there. Anything can happen and lots of the race is really remote.

Take a plb with you. It could save your life. But it only works if there is some one in town waiting for you and can drive out and find you if it goes off.

You know the more I think about it. Prerun with a buddy. You have about 2 months to find one.

God bless and good luck. You will have a blast.
I was thinking after the race would be less hectic so I wouldn't get ran over by a pre-runner. I wasn't really planning on running the track, just going to head down to Cabo and back. I wish I had someone to take 3+ weeks off with me and run Baja down and back, but unfortunately I will have to make due solo.

Thanks for the advice guys. Been in Colorado/Utah for a few weeks now, but this trip is about to wrap up so I'm about to be planning for baja full time until it shows up!

MasTacos

Reaction
Hi Will,

I would strongly recommend you take Josh's advice to heart about having a buddy and/or having a very specific plan where you regularly check in with friends back home.

Baja's a big place on a small bike and being solo pretty much means that when you run into adversity, you're on your own.

If you do decide to solo the thing, I'd urge you to reach out to some folks who have a TON of experience down there and ask them for advice. Tim/Jen Morton are great folks and can give you some solid advice on dos/don'ts/gotchas. Call them and ask.