Baja 1000 iron man

Has anyone ever iron manned the Baja 1000 in a Jeep speed?

jowoog

I'd say no ,.... Jeepspeeds fairly new so you'd remember that

Pee Wee

As I see it the class is up against pit closing times based on speed so there is no time to rest or stop and smoke crack, you will need one or the other.

dislocated1

This year 2012 I ran with PeeWee in the 1701 Wrangler, we had a great race and we split the driving 50/50 with Scott Hartman and Clem Grieco....

We were all pushed to our limits are far as time in the car is concerned.... we were both in for about 17 hours on each of our legs. The winning 5-1600 car soloed it and finished about 45 mins in front of us. Crazy dude!

You would have to train pretty hard for a solo run.... more mentally than physically. It's a lonely road out there in a jeep sometimes. You are faster than the slow guys, and slower than the fast ones!

Samco Fab

Haha not the first time, definately a warm fuzzy for me. Not sure what that says about me lol.

The only way to have the whole experience...
You soloed and won in a 5/1600!!! Those things dont even have power steering do they? Pretty big class as well if I remember correctly. Amazing accomplishment!

Gonzo 5/1600

Thanks guys, we do have power steering now. But I ran for a few years without. I don't want to hijack someone else’s thread so I'll just say it’s an experience most people fortunate enough to race the mil at all, don't experience. It goes far beyond competing, winning, losing, racing even.

DustyB

Has anyone ever iron manned the Baja 1000 in a Jeep speed?
Has not been done. A guy claimed he was going to do it a few years ago and made it less than 25 miles or something- never saw the car run again. I don't think you could do it down the peninsula, but it could be pulled off on a loop race with some serious determination and misery.

WALSHMOTORSPORTS

Thanks guys, we do have power steering now. But I ran for a few years without. I don't want to hijack someone else’s thread so I'll just say it’s an experience most people fortunate enough to race the mil at all, don't experience. It goes far beyond competing, winning, losing, racing even.
Trevor. You know your not allowed to post without at least 10 minutes of new in-car attached....

Layton

Has not been done. A guy claimed he was going to do it a few years ago and made it less than 25 miles or something- never saw the car run again. I don't think you could do it down the peninsula, but it could be pulled off on a loop race with some serious determination and misery.
I tried only made it 7 miles. Brand new jeep with zero test time. It was a loop race. and the jeep is still racing!

TERRARACE

Stev Barry ironmaned the 1000 peninsula race in a class nine! Was in hospital for several days, damn near killed him!

chatterbox

Not sure on the Jeep speed? We were able to do it in the Lexus stock full. I set my GPS to time us and it said 35 hours at 31.8 avg speed at the finish. I found out later that it only recorded when I was moving so the final time was like 38 hours 22 min? that means I was stopped at the BFG pits like 3 hours over 1100 miles? seems like a long time? I only had a broken exhaust a damaged door and my steering wheel came apart going into BFG 7.

That was a really fun race but was much different the last 50 miles from 2010!