baja 1000 map logistics help/info whats where, access

51rcr

Reaction
Looking for any info on what parts of the course is like in areas to plan for possible problems.
We are Vintage so rough parts of the course and smooth for driver changes/Fatigue.
Where is there lots of rocks for possible more use of tires?
Fuel for chase trucks?
Where Is access good and not so good? also relative to abuse of the vehicle. Also where its better to get ahead of the vehicle and where to hold back if parts are needed.
What is some of your favorite paper maps for roads and access ect? Does anyone do a booklet or paper map with the course on it? or an over lay?
Any and all info is good and taken in.
You can send a personal message if you don't care to share to everyone. We don't for see ourselves out running parts trucks haha. Which reminds me. good places to get ahead so everyone can take naps and wait haha.
Thanks

Josh 8

Reaction
Prerun.

I know it's expensive and drive costs up but that is the single most important part of preparing for Baja.

Each driver should prerun with codriver and lead chaser for there section if possible. Then if there is a problem they will have a lot better idea of area awareness, options and solutions.

And it's the single biggest safety percation one can make. Other than seat belts and helmets of course.

I have been going down now for 3 years running the northern trails learning where I am at getting ready to start racing in Baja.

Its different down there.

Last edited:

51rcr

Reaction
Thanks, yeah that would be great but we wont be able to do that. We sure want to but yeah that would gather any info we needed and lots of fun. That's why I put up this post. Sure would like to prerun every race but not available for all. We drive off of terrain and what we can see and not gps. Not worried about memorizing the course its over 1000 miles.

51rcr

Reaction
can call me also as that's fast communication compared to typing lots if that's easier 605-391-2822

punchdrunk monkey

Reaction
I think Pete used to pre-run and video the whole pre-run then edit it a sell a visual pre-run package.

Lord Green

Reaction
Most towns now have gas and diesel fuel for chase trucks and race cars if you use pump gas. I used Pemex for my NORRA car last year. There are two particular rough chase points - a team in San Felipe will NOT be able to catch the race car, the same goes for a team in Bahia de Los Angeles. Study the map, the course touches the highways just enough to make it work.

JA Racing

Reaction
Make google earth your best friend learn roads paved and un-paved ask questions everyone learns something that way. talk to baja pits or mag7

Chainguide

Reaction
make sure that you plan to have your support trucks to be at their locations at least 2 hours ahead of the race vehicle. If that can't happen then you know it's not a good plan.

JDDurfey

Reaction
With the race course going through San Felipe chasing is going to pose a bit of a problem to many if not all teams.

The course through San Felipe is guaranteed to be ROUGH, so you can't leave your car without support through there, but then the chase truck is stranded and will never catch back up to faster vehicles and take a long time to catch back up to the slower vehicles. Racing Vintage your chase truck that is working San Felipe could probably slip south on the race course to Coco's corner and then on out to Chapala, now that the road is paved most of the way that probably won't stop chase vehicles from mixing with the race cars. In the past when the road was not paved and it was not a speed zone, it was not wise to even think about chasing south to Coco's Corner on the race course.

If you are running BFG tires, sign up with them and take advantage of their free pit support and they produce a great book with all kinds of great info. If you are not running BFG's I would suggest thinking about switching. The BFG pit book is priceless in my opinion. When I was racing a bike I learned about this book and did everything I could to get my hands on one every race to glean info from it. I ran BFGs on my chase truck so I felt I was justified in doing so.

Even with pit support like BFG, Baja Pits, or Mag 7 I would still have at least 2 chase trucks. You can "leap frog" them down the course to some degree. I would post a truck in San Ignacio and then use that same truck in the Loretto area. I would send the other truck to La Purisima way in advance because that is a drive, but is an area that would be good to have a chase truck in. Once the car passes there, it can go on south and beat the race car to the next highway crossing without difficulty.

bajaford

Reaction
at least 3 chase trucks. or go with BFG. fuel available at san felipe.... bay of la... guerrero negro.... san Ignacio..... loreto.... ciudad insurgents ... and constitution. get a map and figure it out.

y2kbaja

Reaction
According to the map the course goes east out of Coco's and thru Frog Canyon. This means there is maybe 7 miles of dirt between the end of the pavement south of Gonzaga to Coco's--most of which is 2 and 3 lane. This is also a huge construction zone. Because we're not TT teams on here I would pit my car along the highway somewhere south of San Felipe then drive south and out to Chapala. You know we're all going to do it.

51rcr

Reaction
Thank you everyone for the info. Keep adding if you think of more to add please. Iam sure there is others out there that will use lots of this info also. It great because theres lots on here that maybe are just desert rats that play down there lots that can share what they know to where its appreciated. We hope for the best, plan for the worst, lots of the worst. Some say were optimistic some were negative that don't know racing, haha but were realists.
Thanks again for your info and replies and also to those that have called and msgd also.

LantanaTX

Reaction
If you have an Apple device you might want to download LeadNav. When the gps files are released you can add the course to LeadNav which overlays on Google Earth and Prerun on your phone/iPad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

51rcr

Reaction
we will be staring at a screen lots once those come out. And yes going to add a lead nav also Iam thinking to the little Lawrence.
Any one have any luck with adding mexico to Tom toms for chase vehicles just to see cross roads or distances ect?
Does the google My maps load well enough to load the whole peninsula for out of service and still zoom in? that would be really nice.

punchdrunk monkey

Reaction
You can buy a baja street map at PCI and Merdocknav for Lowerance. It's a nice overlay for the chase crews.

Speedy Gonzales

Reaction
Once pre-running starts, a few people post videos, and give valuable info about the course. Most of us can't afford the money or time to properly pre-run the 1000. I learned good info even for pre-running for both the 250 and 500 this year.

LantanaTX

Reaction
Once pre-running starts, a few people post videos, and give valuable info about the course. Most of us can't afford the money or time to properly pre-run the 1000. I learned good info even for pre-running for both the 250 and 500 this year.

I hope someone posts a video of San Ignacio to Loreto. I can’t get enough days off to pre-run my section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baja Bryan

Reaction
we will be staring at a screen lots once those come out. And yes going to add a lead nav also Iam thinking to the little Lawrence.
Any one have any luck with adding mexico to Tom toms for chase vehicles just to see cross roads or distances ect?
Does the google My maps load well enough to load the whole peninsula for out of service and still zoom in? that would be really nice.

If its only chase just get ipad and lead nave. Or any tab and use google maps. Dont waste money on a lowrance or another gps for just chase.

Travisfab

Reaction
If you have an Apple device you might want to download LeadNav. When the gps files are released you can add the course to LeadNav which overlays on Google Earth and Prerun on your phone/iPad.

Some important notes on this comment
- Lead Nav has Bing Satellite, and USGS Satellite maps available, not Google Earth.
- These maps are only available if you are have cell and data service available*

*You can upgrade your maps package for another 20 bucks to be able to download these for offline use. But be aware that if you would like to download the max zoom, you will be downloading hundreds of squares and it will take hours upon hours. If you would like to better capabilities for downloading maps, you are looking another purchase from Lead Nav.

Lead Nav has great features built in for racers and teams, but if all you are doing is downloading a route and trying to overlay it on to a map, don't get hung up on what the cool guys are using and do some research.