• Forum membership has its advantages....

Baja 1000 Motorcycle Ironman

MOTOMAN23X

2017 Is going to be my first Baja. I am planning on doing the Motorcycle Ironman. Can anyone give me a run down how it goes down for the Ironman? Are basically ip for the 48 hours?? Where do the bikes start for Ironman front or back? I just need a link or more info so I can be better repaired.. Thanks

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

cosmo

Super Moderator
Get a plane ticket, get hooked up with a team, tag a long and learn all you can this year!

AZ7000'

Leave today for Ensenada and learn everything you can. If you want a realistic chance call Tim and let him assess your chances in person then hire him to chase and get you through.

Go watch in the dark, or light and stand on the side of the track and let the TT train come by and still think if you are up for it, you will get caught by a lot of trucks and cars. I ride 1000's of miles per year on a moto in Baja and lucky enough to codog in TT's and TT specs. 2 good guys died at the 500. I would never try to iron man the mil, we have caught way too many guys that are making very poor decisions. Without the 4 wheeled vehicles racing with all they have on the track maybe....

Now the NORRA??? That would be fun.

I don't know you but there are hard dudes we all know who are great riders, if you are one of the top 5 riders you know or have met then get it ON! Good luck.

BajaboundMoto

NORRA, great fun!

1st Baja event, solo much less, being a 1000, and a peninsula race.... IMO a poor choice.

Start with a Parker 250 (cheap and easy), a Vegas To Reno (also cheap and easy with simple logistics), the Baja 500 for a real eye-opener (and wallet opener too), then a 1000 LOOP race (and become an addict), then a 1000 peninsula run (to max out your credit cards).

Did I mention Norra Mexican 1000?
Big fun, basic prep, simple logistics, very affordable, the best bang for your buck in Baja racing.

rustyb

Listen to Tim and AZ7000', they know what they are talking about. Dreams are great (believe me I spent years dreaming of Baja), but can you realistically ride 1300 miles straight? Do you want to spend thousands of dollars to get timed out? Or to get run over because you're so tired you aren't aware of the truck trying to get around you? Start out with something more reasonable. As noted, NORRA is way fun, you get to sleep at night, they will get you if you break down (you're on your own with SCORE), parties after a couple of the legs, relax in Cabo after, did I say way fun?

But in answer to your questions, I believe Ironmen start at the back of the pro bikes, before all the sportsmen, usually 3-4 hours before the trucks start. I have no firsthand knowledge but from what I've read the fast guys are just up the entire time, while guys just trying to finish will often take short naps. Like AZ7000' said, if you are a superb rider with a ton of racing experience, go for it, otherwise Tim laid out a good map to get you there.

Dlock5

Just curious, do the TT's catch the pro bike team's? Or are they pretty close at least.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

pgarfinkle

Just curious, do the TT's catch the pro bike team's? Or are they pretty close at least.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk
Not unless they have some serious down time.

JDDurfey

When I rode Pro Bike we never got caught by the TT's when we didn't have any problems. Twice we had issues, the Baja 2000 (who didn't have issues) and the 03 1000 we had light failure, so we finished the next morning before timing out. Later I started riding with a Sportsman team of newbys and then they graduated to Class 30, we were caught in the 1000 every year. As a team we were just way to slow to keep ahead. I usually rode the rougher sections and when I got the bike we would be way back and I would fight the dust and couldn't ride at my normal race speed because of it. Then once you get caught by one truck, your time really slows. You would be a fool to jump back on a race course that is blinded by dust, because there very well may be another race truck right behind the one that just past that will KILL you.

In 06, I ended up riding 530 miles of the 1000. I was one tired puppy after that. It wasn't planned, but due to injuries of teammates I stepped up to the plate. I can honestly say that I believe I would have been able to ride the whole race to La Paz that year without too much difficulty. I know I only rode half the race, but I also rode a motorcycle from Ensenada to the Honda pit before San Felipe on race morning. Most of that ride was on the pavement, but I did cut down across El Diablo and down Zoo Road. It was pretty cool being the first bike down Zoo Road that morning, the spectators thought I was in the race and were cheering like crazy as I went by. I gave them a show and charged through there pretty good. When I got to San Ignacio, I was in great shape. My mistake was getting off the bike for a couple of hours. When I got back on north of Loretto I was stiff from the cold and I rode horrible, the silt beds and water crossings through there didn't help. I was tired when I got back off, but if I had not rode terribly or crashed a couple of times I would have been able to make the last 200 miles.

It would be cool to Ironman it, but you had better be in great shape and be used to staying awake for 30 hours with no sleep. Many people can stay awake, and even exert physically after that time period, but their brains are fried and they can't handle it mentally.

dezert_nerd

Listen to Tim Morton from Baja Bound. He knows EXACTLY what he's talking about. This year I attempted to race Vegas to Reno by myself and although I finished it didn't come without some difficulties and scary moments. As far as the bike went, we had zero issues including zero flats. Physically and mentally I was not up for the challenge as I previously thought. I should've trained harder and should've rode the bike way more before race day. By RM532 I was smoked and so dehydrated I had to sit in the pits cooling myself down and rehydrating myself for about 30-40 minutes. When the trucks did catch me it was one the scariest things I've ever had to deal with. Trying to move off course fast enough while you're tired and sore to let these guys by is not easy, especially if you get caught in a section where there is only 1 line and no room to go. And that was only for the last 100 miles of the race, on top of that the course was a freeway compared to Mexico.

You need to seriously ask yourself if you are prepared to do this. I can tell you right now, you are not if you're asking for advice here. I thought I was prepared, and I obviously was not. Start small and work your way up. And if you tell yourself you are ready, you are not ready.

Romero

The trucks caught all but the top 8 handlebars at this 1000.
the gap this year was the "normal" 3.5hr. I wonder if for next year they will open it back up to the night before for the handlebars?

AZ7000'

Fwiw every moto or quad we came up on was great and off the track as we approached. My section was all night so the lights help a bunch.

TIMP42

NORRA, great fun!

1st Baja event, solo much less, being a 1000, and a peninsula race.... IMO a poor choice.

Start with a Parker 250 (cheap and easy), a Vegas To Reno (also cheap and easy with simple logistics), the Baja 500 for a real eye-opener (and wallet opener too), then a 1000 LOOP race (and become an addict), then a 1000 peninsula run (to max out your credit cards).

Did I mention Norra Mexican 1000?
Big fun, basic prep, simple logistics, very affordable, the best bang for your buck in Baja racing.

I agree with Tim 100%. This was my first year in the desert and went Ironman in BITD. Parker was a great first ironman, then Laughlin, then Vegas to Reno, and it was a 2 day this year. Finished up with Bluewater Desert Challenge. It was a great year. I am not sure I would want to Ironman the Baja 1000, at least not yet. A few more seasons and longer races then maybe. NORRA I would do since it is broken up over 4-5 days.

I was lucky and only got passed at Vegas to Reno with 12 miles left, in a rocky section, so the Trophy Trucks weren't going 100+ MPH and kicking up a ton of dust. It was still nerve wracking when it happened though!

TYork

Listen to Tim and heed his advice!!! We've consulted with him on a few routes in Baja and his directions and opinion has always been spot on.

TYork

If you decide against iron and and need an experienced vet racer I would possibly be interested.

If I had about $15k lying around I may just consider soloing the 1000. Right now the goal is SF250 solo one of these years, then possibly the 500.