Baja 1000 power steering issues

osborne

Reaction
After following the race on the web, I wondered what the deal was with all the TT power steering issues. Seems like there were like 6 front runners that had problems. What kind of issues did they have? Were they all the same issues, same brand of p/s, etc. Just wondering, never heard of this many at one time.

Kent Kroeker

Reaction
Who had the issues?

Isn't everyone using basically the same parts - T pump, rack, cooler, external bypass valve?

PAB

40's rock!
Reaction
We lost a pump...same pump that we have used successfully for ever... we believe in Howe and will have the same on at SF. No word yet on what happened but at mile 634 we lost the pump while running in the top 3 on time...according to our timing...in the whoops just about to the pole line.

No other problems for the 16 other than not being able to start the truck after turning off when we had the pump issue. Took us 1:45 to get going on what should have taken about 30-40 minutes in the field. Yes we carry a spare pump and servo on both the 16 and 14.

I'm more concerned with the recurring starter issue...we have the best we can find and we have 2 on both trucks and we continually can't start the truck after shutting off after the race to talk to George/Dianna etc

PAB

40's rock!
Reaction
I don't know all the details but a mile from us Menzies was dealing with similar steering issues...don't know brand...

osborne

Reaction
I dont remember all of them at the moment. I heard PAB, Menzies, Matney(?) 4x4 geiser, and a few more. I am just curious. Not trying to call out any manuf. or anything. I have used Howe for a long time and have had no issues. Just seemed odd as to the amount or front runners with issues. Thanks PAB for the reply and the Beach Bash.

D-rek

Reaction
I think they are over spinning the pumps causing the oil to foam and overheat. Most pumps make max pressure at 2000 rpm and most engines never spin under 4000 so shouldn't run under a 2:1 ratio (bigger pulley on the pump) most are 1:1. Just my $.02

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
You have to have enough pump RPM so you still have power steering when you chop the throttle. Sometimes you even need to move the steering with the engine at idle speed (and with the fluid very hot). We had to machine a custom smaller pulley for our T-pump for this reason. I would think that many of the TT teams have temp monitors on the fluid and possibly datalog the pressures too. The issues are probably more complex than simply pump rpm.

I'd like to know if T-pump users are all running GM power steering fluid (such as that sold by Howe and others) or if they have found a better fluid, perhaps a fluid that has less viscosity change with temperature?

RedRide

Reaction
You have to have enough pump RPM so you still have power steering when you chop the throttle. Sometimes you even need to move the steering with the engine at idle speed (and with the fluid very hot). We had to machine a custom smaller pulley for our T-pump for this reason. I would think that many of the TT teams have temp monitors on the fluid and possibly datalog the pressures too. The issues are probably more complex than simply pump rpm.

I'd like to know if T-pump users are all running GM power steering fluid (such as that sold by Howe and others) or if they have found a better fluid, perhaps a fluid that has less viscosity change with temperature?
Maybe need a mechanism to keep the pump speed constant?

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

harleys dad

Reaction
We lost a pump...same pump that we have used successfully for ever... we believe in Howe and will have the same on at SF. No word yet on what happened but at mile 634 we lost the pump while running in the top 3 on time...according to our timing...in the whoops just about to the pole line.

No other problems for the 16 other than not being able to start the truck after turning off when we had the pump issue. Took us 1:45 to get going on what should have taken about 30-40 minutes in the field. Yes we carry a spare pump and servo on both the 16 and 14.

I'm more concerned with the recurring starter issue...we have the best we can find and we have 2 on both trucks and we continually can't start the truck after shutting off after the race to talk to George/Dianna etc
Cam is it the engine wont start or is it the starter motor does not work? OEM might be a good option if starter motor maybe?

Tony_Murray

Reaction
Recap of Howe Experience:

I have heard that we are not the only ones to have this happen?

We send in a working rack, servo and pump off of our pre runner not race car, just finished pre running the 500 with no issues whatsoever

Informed by Howe the despite all of the items working great, all items are not repairable and all need to be replaced

Asked Howe to put the old items back together as spares since we are buying all new pump, rack and servo.

When we received the new items from Howe the old pump rack and servo were completely disassembled

We found out Howe charged us 10% more than buying the same parts from McKenzie’s

We sent the old items back to Howe and asked to please reassemble as agreed

Howe refused to re assemble old parts siting “safety concerns”

Howe actually made us pay the $13.00 to have are old parts shipped back to us after this great experience

43mod

Reaction
I am just a little guy racer. I have found Howe to be extremely helpful. When calling to talk about sending my rack in for service they actually talked me into doing it myself. No complaints and no failures here.

MADMILLER

Reaction

I have heard that we are not the only ones to have this happen?

We send in a working rack, servo and pump off of our pre runner not race car, just finished pre running the 500 with no issues whatsoever

Informed by Howe the despite all of the items working great, all items are not repairable and all need to be replaced

Asked Howe to put the old items back together as spares since we are buying all new pump, rack and servo.

When we received the new items from Howe the old pump rack and servo were completely disassembled

We found out Howe charged us 10% more than buying the same parts from McKenzie’s

We sent the old items back to Howe and asked to please reassemble as agreed

Howe refused to re assemble old parts siting “safety concerns”

Howe actually made us pay the $13.00 to have are old parts shipped back to us after this great experience
This exact same thing happened to us with our 6100 truck....sent in good working pump and servo to be checked and rebuilt.....they call say our pump and servo are no good we need new.Asked to put together...get back bag full of parts no way to reassemble and have to buy new pump and servo.THESE were magged after returned and were not cracked as said.We will NEVER use howe ever again.....

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
We have used HOWE from the beginning and will continue to use HOWE.

Same story here with the parts getting sent in and parts being bad. We also sent to our MAG guy and had checked and yes they were cracked as said. We have also had pumps come back as a bag of parts. All parts did show wear and in some cases might have been able to run longer. After taking to the guys at HOWE they explain why and it added up to a good call to not take the chance. HOWE does not want to take chances with their product and we get that. It the part fails then you can crash. They are just looking out for your well being and want to have success. We rebuild just about every race and feel for the abuse these parts go through they need it.

johndjmix

Reaction
Dare I say electric power steering pump?

Just putting it out there.

--John

Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com

Aflac

Reaction

I'm sure they charged you 10% more to protect their dealers such as Mckenzie's. I don't see anything wrong with that. I'm sure other vendors do the same..PCI, King Shocks, Etc.

Pee Wee

Reaction
Never had a problem with PSS cost, timing, or durability.
Except that one time at Silverstate 300 with a 20 minute lead and 10 miles to go and Skyler (aka Dislocated 1) just barely tapped a tree and the sector shaft broke, obvious faulty part.

Yea a little sarcasm there.

pgarfinkle

Reaction
I was wondering about this as well. Most of the trucks with issues appear to be Giesers but they are also not new in design so I would think they would be well sorted out. Was there a change to the front end on these trucks recently? Also were they all running the same tires?

Steve_Sourapas

Reaction
We have used Power Steering Solutions for three years now and are very happy with the performance and service. Give Charlie a call.