Baja 1000 Qualifying

sb4pro

Reaction
Great job on the webcast . Yes it could be better but we should still be thankful for what we DO get especially us fans here on the east coast who can’t be there .

MTPyle

Reaction
The AWD Mason looked so so fast, it pulled so hard. If it holds together it will be hard to beat in Baja.

Being able to come in the corner slower and under control then power out hard would be a huge advantage.

Mike

BigBlue&Goldie

Reaction
Sounds like there were some questionable times for a few drivers.

On a separate note, I can't wait until SCORE goes back to desert racing to qualify for desert racing.

Offspring

Reaction
Some of the announced times for an individual truck changed a couple of times and they were not even close to each other.

Bricoop

Reaction
Some of the announced times for an individual truck changed a couple of times and they were not even close to each other.
How hard can this be?

Maybe they should look at what Dave Cole is doing. A short qualifying run in Tijuana the day of (or day before the race). Go run a lap on the Tijuana Desert Challenge course. Also saves the teams a trip to Vegas. Could even put the trucks in Parc Ferme after their lap (there have been prior complaints here about guys running completely different setups in quali than in the race).

One-Eyed Peter

Reaction
How hard can this be?

Maybe they should look at what Dave Cole is doing. A short qualifying run in Tijuana the day of (or day before the race). Go run a lap on the Tijuana Desert Challenge course. Also saves the teams a trip to Vegas. Could even put the trucks in Parc Ferme after their lap (there have been prior complaints here about guys running completely different setups in quali than in the race).

No doubt. Does anyone know what the issue was with timing and scoring? Are the results official? Did anyone protest them?

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
If they ran a true desert qualifying course then no one would need to change setups. Believe me they are ALL changing their set ups. It’s just smart racing, not cheating, it’s not even being creative, it’s a no brainer.
It’s a pain in the butt to change all that stuff but the guys wrenching know it’s just part of the deal and those guys are so adept at it that it’s just time consuming. It would be cool for the longest point to point continuous Offroad race in the world to you know, not qualify on a short course. LOL

Bricoop

Reaction
If they ran a true desert qualifying course then no one would need to change setups. Believe me they are ALL changing their set ups. It’s just smart racing, not cheating, it’s not even being creative, it’s a no brainer.
It’s a pain in the butt to change all that stuff but the guys wrenching know it’s just part of the deal and those guys are so adept at it that it’s just time consuming. It would be cool for the longest point to point continuous Offroad race in the world to you know, not qualify on a short course. LOL
I completely agree. But there was a bunch of people here pissed off in prior qualifying attempts for guys running paddle tires, using lightweight co-drivers, etc, etc.

I'm pretty excited for KOTH. Guys are going to let it hang out on that qualifying lap.

offroadracer516

Reaction
I completely agree. But there was a bunch of people here pissed off in prior qualifying attempts for guys running paddle tires, using lightweight co-drivers, etc, etc.

I'm pretty excited for KOTH. Guys are going to let it hang out on that qualifying lap.
So people are mad at people using their heads? Lol

offroadracer516

Reaction
I qualified 1st at Rage out of 55 cars in 1600. And I qualified 1st at bap out of 32 cars. My car does not start the actual race with the same setup. Bashing people for changing things is absurd. Especially with the money these guys are spending. All forms of Motorsports change setup's for qualifying. And if I had the money and funding to be racing Trophy Truck. You can bet your last dollar I would change what ever it took to get the truck across the line 1st in qualifying. Welcome to RACING.

Attachments

• 24900012_10210514840736017_7883589800105190066_n.jpg
    24900012_10210514840736017_7883589800105190066_n.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 157
  • 27797684_1594668460586456_2467968098561492579_o (2).jpg
    27797684_1594668460586456_2467968098561492579_o (2).jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

Bricoop

Reaction
I qualified 1st at Rage out of 55 cars in 1600. And I qualified 1st at bap out of 32 cars. My car does not start the actual race with the same setup. Bashing people for changing things is absurd. Especially with the money these guys are spending. All forms of Motorsports change setup's for qualifying. And if I had the money and funding to be racing Trophy Truck. You can bet your last dollar I would change what ever it took to get the truck across the line 1st in qualifying. Welcome to RACING.
I agree with you that teams should have different setups for quali. But there are multiple forms of motorsports which do not allow changes after qualifying, F1 being one of them.

I don't have an opinion one-way or the other, but would people be upset if it became customary to hire short-course drivers to qualify a truck? There's multiple threads with comments from other high profile drivers that discuss qualifying.
B1K Qualifying causing quite the controversy ....
Who makes the best TT today?
Is qualifying in Off-Road Desert Racing BS??
2016 baja 1000 qualifying @ Sema
On Topic - Impounding- for it or against it?

offroadracer516

Reaction
I agree with you that teams should have different setups for quali. But there are multiple forms of motorsports which do not allow changes after qualifying, F1 being one of them.

I don't have an opinion one-way or the other, but would people be upset if it became customary to hire short-course drivers to qualify a truck? There's multiple threads with comments from other high profile drivers that discuss qualifying.
B1K Qualifying causing quite the controversy ....
Who makes the best TT today?
Is qualifying in Off-Road Desert Racing BS??
2016 baja 1000 qualifying @ Sema
On Topic - Impounding- for it or against it?
They change modes on the motor for qualifying in F1. Redbull wants to ban it. But its still legal right now. Red Bull F1 team calls for qualifying 'party modes' to be abolished

Bricoop

Reaction
They change modes on the motor for qualifying in F1. Redbull wants to ban it. But its still legal right now. Red Bull F1 team calls for qualifying 'party modes' to be abolished
I know, trust me, I haven't missed watching a qualifying session in years. That's just an engine setting. Similar to changing the fuel mapping, or turbo pressure. RBR was just mad that they've got Renault's under the hood.

But yes, F1cars are restricted from making any significant changes from qualifying to the race. They race on the same tire they qualify on. They certainly aren't having other drivers qualify their cars, running different transmissions, removing parts, etc. All things that the TTs are doing and well within the rules. I love to learn about this stuff (Hence why I started the Getting creative thread). If you're a F1 fan, come join us in the pavement section.

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction

I totally get what your saying but it’s part of the deal. Shoot years ago guys in 2/1600 at snore races were racing with 12 year old daughters in the codog seat.

offroadracer516

Reaction
I totally get what your saying but it’s part of the deal. Shoot years ago guys in 2/1600 at snore races were racing with 12 year old daughters in the codog seat.
They still are... lol Look at the size of Bud's co rider in this video.