Baja 1000 race day thread

_TimS

Reaction
Good coverage here. WM stream, SCORE feed, and Race-dezert.

sb4pro

Reaction
The speed limit in the wash does not surprise me. At the Baja 500 the Military was suppose to be watching and directing the flow spectator traffic in that wash. This was the spot where Xander the little 8 year old boy who was struck and killed by a TT was at. I don't know how many if any went to Xander's funeral service, but I was there. Not only did I see the pain in the Hendricks family, but you could see the sadness in both Roger and Elise Norman's eyes. I spoke to Roger after the service and he said we need to fix this! To be honest it would not have shocked me one bit if Roger would have or does sell Score, because of this tragedy. He was deeply saddened by Xander's death. Roger parked the TT for a long while after he hit the motorcycle rider, he does not take this stuff lightly.

IMO starting a race in Town should be more about the celebration & show, and not the race itself. Let the actual racing happen away from where the masses of spectators are going to be. As a sport we need to evolve, just as the cities and towns in Baja have evolved and grown. There was a time when we could race on the highways, and a time when we could race though towns. But those times are gone.

I'd like to see a memorial trophy in Xander's name for whatever class was his favorite. It would be a great way to keep his memory alive.

_TimS

Reaction
we have a richard cranium out there. check your mic mag seven.

_TimS

Reaction
any way we can make this thread a "live" thread that self updates?

NIKAL

Reaction
I'd like to see a memorial trophy in Xander's name for whatever class was his favorite. It would be a great way to keep his memory alive.
To be honest Xander and his family did not know about Baja racing, and Xander did not have a favorite class. For the 8 years that Xander was alive the family supported a church in Ensenada, and Xander thought of himself as part Mexican. LOL! It was the week of the 500 when they were down there helping and bring supplies to the church when they were told about the race. Out of curiosity they decided to go into town and check it out. At first they were watching from the street, but Brandon Hendricks (Father) did not feel safe standing so close to road where the trucks were going by. So they asked some others where is a better spot to go. They were suggested to go down into the wash and watch from the banks. So they were pointed in the direction to get into the wash. They were following some other spectators and had no idea that once they walked under the bridge that this is where the race cars entered the wash. From their prospective you could not see the road leading into the wash, just the back side of a huge dirt bank and some engine sounds echoing. It was then that the TT slid off the back side of the road into the wash and struck Xander and his mother. Brandon & their two other younger boys were all there and witnessed it. I cant imagine to this day how they are coping with the loss.

Maybe in the new Dust 2 Glory they could have something at the end dedicating the movie to the life of Xander and maybe a charity or the church they supported.

sb4pro

Reaction
To be honest Xander and his family did not know about Baja racing, and Xander did not have a favorite class. For the 8 years that Xander was alive the family supported a church in Ensenada, and Xander thought of himself as part Mexican. LOL! It was the week of the 500 when they were down there helping and bring supplies to the church when they were told about the race. Out of curiosity they decided to go into town and check it out. At first they were watching from the street, but Brandon Hendricks (Father) did not feel safe standing so close to road where the trucks were going by. So they asked some others where is a better spot to go. They were suggested to go down into the wash and watch from the banks. So they were pointed in the direction to get into the wash. They were following some other spectators and had no idea that once they walked under the bridge that this is where the race cars entered the wash. From their prospective you could not see the road leading into the wash, just the back side of a huge dirt bank and some engine sounds echoing. It was then that the TT slid off the back side of the road into the wash and struck Xander and his mother. Brandon & their two other younger boys were all there and witnessed it. I cant imagine to this day how they are coping with the loss.

Maybe in the new Dust 2 Glory they could have something at the end dedicating the movie to the life of Xander and maybe a charity or the church they supported.
Thanks Nikal

nohandslance

Reaction
You think 45X has a chance to overall this..?

Fourstroker

Reaction
You think 45X has a chance to overall this..?
Of course they do. They have some solid riders. On the other hand 1X hasn't updated in about 19 minutes so who really knows.

Fourstroker

Reaction
Finally updated. 1X back in front.

JayQC

Reaction
45X and 1X duking it out pretty good on the tracker

Giant Geoff

Reaction
Justin Matney passed Post.

Slippery P

Reaction
Any word on what happend to TT #17?