Baja 1000 race day thread

johndjmix

Reaction
Anyone have any video of a class 11 going through some of the silt sections? I have no idea how those guys can get through that stuff!

--John

Trophylite #6013
Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com

offroadracer516

Reaction
Anyone have any video of a class 11 going through some of the silt sections? I have no idea how those guys can get through that stuff!

--John

Trophylite #6013
Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com
Line selection. Lots of clutching. Driving over bushes to get traction. Staying out of the main line. There area bunch of strategies to get through it. And it can be done.

Attachments

royrjs

Reaction
Cmon.

How many miles did the 11 do compared to the Raptor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
as i heard from ensenada guys, they didnt do the rosario section and the north borrego loop
Nope, we got the last loop of El Rosario cut, getting rid of 73-75 miles off the course. That totals something around 770 miles for the whole race.

...Over the summit and down through borego was the 2005 course for example. Sal did not do that for class 11. Course cutting is a Roger thing.
Yeah, we did that section this past 500, it took us a while to get down there. It is what it is.

Lol. Just shows how much you know me. I would race Code or record any day of the week. But not over priced Score.
We also raced RECORD; battling a field of 30 competitive bugs was a lot of fun. Getting that 1100, too, was a lot of fun, too.

Line selection. Lots of clutching. Driving over bushes to get traction. Staying out of the main line. There area bunch of strategies to get through it. And it can be done.
This ^^ a lot. And that's where I thanked the dirt Gods for Stella, because having to get out of the car in the middle of the night, in the middle of silt beds, to push the freaking car, that was scary as f**ck.

offroadracer516

Reaction
Nope, we got the last loop of El Rosario cut, getting rid of 73-75 miles off the course. That totals something around 770 miles for the whole race.

Yeah, we did that section this past 500, it took us a while to get down there. It is what it is.

We also raced RECORD; battling a field of 30 competitive bugs was a lot of fun. Getting that 1100, too, was a lot of fun, too.

This ^^ a lot. And that's where I thanked the dirt Gods for Stella, because having to get out of the car in the middle of the night, in the middle of silt beds, to push the freaking car, that was scary as f**ck.
Those 75 miles took Erics car 3 hours to do.....

michael_loomis

Reaction
That must've taken some extra balls, props to him and his team. He's a legend in the class.
You guys went all the way through Borrego and Saldana too? I also heard down there besides the bottom loop, they weren't going all the way out there.

Either way... that 75 miles was brutal.

royrjs

Reaction
You guys went all the way through Borrego and Saldana too? I also heard down there besides the bottom loop, they weren't going all the way out there.

Either way... that 75 miles was brutal.

Yes, we went through Saldaña and out to Borrego, that was actually one of the sections I got; it wouldn't make sense to cut both sections, we (the whole class field) were given the option to choose, and we chose for the lesser miles being cut. We also heard that bottom loop was nasty.

As for the "raptor killer" meme, I think it's hilarious. We don't have a clue where it came from, I first saw it shared by prerunner.trucks at IG. We passed the Raptor in somewhere near San Vicente, as they were just cruising through the course. We were hesitant on doing so, because obviously it's a more capable vehicle than our little bug, but that's where I realized they wouldn't be racing that fast, as their marketing goal was to get the truck in one piece to the finish line. You'll see the titles reading "the all new 2017 Raptor finished the Baja 1000, stock". So we asked for the pass, they provided, we went by.

michael_loomis

Reaction
Right on. Congrats on the finish. Still brutal. Haha. Did Eric time out?

royrjs

Reaction
Right on. Congrats on the finish. Still brutal. Haha. Did Eric time out?

It looks like it, I saw a picture of the bug early on Sunday, but the results posted as dnf. Our friend here states Eric did the whole course, so that must've been the cause.

I'm still tired, and I even got Monday off to recharge my battery.