• Forum membership has its advantages....

On Topic Baja 1000 “Rain” thread

jon coleman

Since we have some additional time to waste...

What's the RM guess for the the first bottle neck, caused by a donkey either drowning their car or burying it a rut and making it a mess for those behind them???
rm1, then, a smart class 11 guy brought some 2x10 's along on his roof rack& simply stradled that 10 foot bottleneck gap w his 12 footers;)

51rcr

UTV Winches and pull pals sound smart now. kinda worth the 90# total since everyone is going to be stuck and carrying #300+ pounds of mud. oh and a hi lift jack. I bet after this there will be lots running them and picking up a black friday special or cyber monday deal.
I would say this is one of the times ya dont want to be the first truck. Back a bit and let the edges get knocked down.

51rcr

yeah Baby!!, no one wanted to be first monkey on track in the morning practice session at Carlsbad mx track, Frank Loved to over water ' certain' sections( i think he liked mud....)
Mud. The true all around talent will always shine through mud. Going to be a good race. Wisdom and patience is all i have to say. Hope thread stays on track. I want to see how bad it is. social media is a pain to find it all.

jon coleman

yup, my earliest schooling on lines and racing where others arent was Malcolm Smith , Lake Elsinore segment ,' on any sunday', i always try to see what every other racer misses, its a life long schooling, MS is the master ;)

Kartman

Media Goon
instead of starting sat, score shoulda just added 24hrs to time limit, see who ' s got it,& who dont, impassable??, find a way, you all get the same vcp treatment, whats next, a water truck watering the whole course in san felipe come march??
when Roeseler, who had his first Baja win 47 years ago says the course is impossible and no one will ever get to the coast you should listen. Score made The right call delaying 24 hours.

450grl

Never thought I would say this but I wouldn’t be surprised to see a UTV on the overall podium
Could def happen if it's ridiculously muddy - smaller, lighter and still 4-wheel drive - turbo will give it the top speed it needs in the faster sections. Can get around roadblocks easier also. Will be fun to watch this race play out for sure.....

DG_BTI

first couple bike, 1x, will check out is my guess. Overall winner. They will have more daylight hours which will help navigate around damage from rain.

Zambo

I've seen pics of snow up on Mt Diablo.....but I'm guessing it doesn't get down to summit-level, which I think is about 5000 feet. Anybody know? I got wet going through Frog Canyon back in 2015 or something like that, spent the next 10 hours fighting off hypothermia.

XR Baja

Gonna be kinda sketchy for the bikes at night with the wet race course.
Never knowing if your front end is going to wash out or get sucked in a sink hole with the limited light that’s available above the front fender.
It’s bad enough second guessing muddy terrain during daylight hours on a bike.

200MPHTape

yeah Baby!!, no one wanted to be first monkey on track in the morning practice session at Carlsbad mx track, Frank Loved to over water ' certain' sections( i think he liked mud....)
How about the year at saddle back when they had to cancel the 2nd motos because the creek at the bottom of the down hill was a river?

johndjmix

If there was one race that a UTV could overall it will be this one. Lightweight plus 4wd will make a big difference.

You guys that aren’t down in Baja have no idea how much rain came down and what things look like. Crazy!

—john

jon coleman

plaster city for thanks giving, im wondering if there's a Phat new set of ' gotchas', waiting just for me😍

El Mamito USMC

so any good vids or pics of the mud parts?