• Forum membership has its advantages....

Baja 1000 RM 390-395 mess....

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Team Locos Mocos set up pit just after RM 395 and a couple of miles before the new course that was made in the last two weeks due to a course change. Race vehicles were stuck there for hours and there were traffic jams there for the entire race on the uphill siltbeds. I am surprised not to see any posts about that area yet. If you were involved in that mess tell us your stories... About 10 of the Locos crew went there and spent hours helping to push race vehicles up the hill. There were even bike riders that walked to our pit because of problems they had with the bikes in that area. There were vehicles off the edge of the course down the hill also. That part of the course took a toll on everyone it sounded like for this race....

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
We were in Trinidad with BFG about 100 miles after the silt. Every driver who came in was saying how bad it was. They said every one was tryin to get around and would just end up getting stuck no matter what way they went. Some one said there must have been at least 50 vehicles in there at once. Sounds like the silt party we had in 98 just before Punta Prieta. One driver said they had a guy with a horse help pull him out. What ever it takes. Thats racing, gotta love it!

pjc

Chairman
I am pretty sure that some drivers paid the rancher and went around this mess. PT #270 got stuck 3 times in that area.

PJCinLV

nobrakes

yep it sucked!!! thanks for pullin out#553(their for two hours)we should of took the trail you guys told us to take,like the 1st place 5/16 did(ensanada local)and what about the course milage and check points,closeing times & mileage?????thats baja and off-road racing. gotta take the good w/the bad.a BIG thanks to LOCO'S MOCOS.was that spot(rm395) befor or after check 8 ????

desertratt

yea it was a real bad place in the course. we lost one of our cars with a fried clutch and the other one barely made it up and over. george the driver said he could only go about 6 inches at a time with the help of the co-driver of the 2 seater by throwing rocks under the tires all the way up. sure would to have known about this preferd line that some other drivers knew about! would have made the differnce between 1st and 3rd.

get on the gas or get out of my way!!

Junior

What a frickin mess. Our Protruck was stuck there for almost 7 hours. It ruined our day. One of our chase Bronco's was stuck there over the edge until late Saturday afternoon. It was a long night for them. GREAT BIG THANKS to Chris? from Locos Mocos who got our guy out when everybody either couldn't or was concerned about loosing there truck off the edge also. What a mess.

Junior

Junior
EJR Racing #244

frankh

Well when I talked to Sal about extending the time limit because of the mess at the summit and mile 395. He told me it was the driver reasonability to find a way around. I guess I did not take that as we had to go make are own deals with the ranchers. This is only hears say but this is what I heard, the rancher was mad because of non-payment from the 500. This came from a local friend not a racer.

I would like to thank all the people that helped us (get UN-stuck, off the side of cliffs, etc). On a good note we made the whole race without a flat. Got to love Bfg's

Chris_Wilson

That would be Chris Wilson that rescued you, former Baja 1000 class 8 winner in 1999 and now
Locos Mocos pit/rescue dude. I'm glad your Bronco didn't roll during the extraction.

pjc

Chairman
Nope, i got out at RM360. Pat Bell was in with Dane Cardone. I think I was sipping a Tecate while all this was going on.. :)

According to Pat, hords of locals directed the racers off the original route and GPS track and into this mess.

PJCinLV

desertratt

what i had heard was that sal had promised the rancher to have to road graded. well since sal doesn't do the grading, it comes from the board of tourisum and they take care of those details. its where part of your entry goes for. some one dragged there feet getting the job done. the rancher got pissed and told sal he couldn't go through his property. hence the last minute course change.

get on the gas or get out of my way!!

frankh

I'm sure there will be lots of differant storys, Mine came from a local of milling ranch. She was useing Sal's name not the board of tourisum . And if you story is true, how come Score could get a new course graded in short order but not the guys road.