• Forum membership has its advantages....

Baja 1000 spectating

Kademcfarland

Hey guys im new to race-dezert! Im going to spectate the baja 1000 for the first time this year and i got an airbnb in ensenada but im not sure where to watch the race at? If any of you have a place that you watch at or any info that would be great!!!

Bajacolorado

Somewhere easy to get to between RM 50 and 150 will give you close action and it will not be dark. By RM 300 or so the TT's will be in the dark. 150 is good if you want to see them near the ocean. We may go there or closer to Mikes Sky Ranch but we are camping and will decide on race day. I use GAIA PRO app. you download maps and plan routes. Great tool for all things off-road, camping, hiking and international travel. I don't leave home with out it. Works without cell coverage if you download the maps (topo or Sat.) while you are in the US. Never stand on the outside of a race turn.

jon coleman

if your solo, Stay close to home, pits are a good place to see some action/ team up w- fellow spectators, yes dont spectate in low, out side of corners, stay UP & inside!, think physics, gravity / inertia always wins...

bajafox

Accepted
Somewhere easy to get to between RM 50 and 150 will give you close action and it will not be dark. By RM 300 or so the TT's will be in the dark. 150 is good if you want to see them near the ocean. We may go there or closer to Mikes Sky Ranch but we are camping and will decide on race day. I use GAIA PRO app. you download maps and plan routes. Great tool for all things off-road, camping, hiking and international travel. I don't leave home with out it. Works without cell coverage if you download the maps (topo or Sat.) while you are in the US. Never stand on the outside of a race turn.
And stay at least 50 feet away from the course

BajaboundMoto

150 is good if you want to see them near the ocean. We may go there or closer to Mikes Sky Ranch but we are camping and will decide on race day.
Hopefully everyone realizes the 1st moto is starting at 3AM, so that put them passing Mikes maybe 9:30am, so probably not a good idea to decide where to spectate on race day (unless you split Ensenada by 4am).

IMO RM 100-190 offers many great access roads into the course, some with very little or no other spectators, and also spots you can leave on Friday PM without having to drive on the hot race course.

Bajacolorado

That is our plan - drive to a place in the RM150 +/- zone you mention (off highway at La Providencia) on Thursday and "camp" and be on the course for Friday's early start. See my attached GAIA map for our purple routes to a few spots on the course near the coast. I asumed they would be crowded but if not - all the better. Plan B is to head up towards west side of Mike's - but on Thursday. Let me know if the map shows well.

Attachments

BajaboundMoto

That is our plan - drive to a place in the RM150 +/- zone you mention (off highway at La Providencia) on Thursday and "camp" and be on the course for Friday's early start. See my attached GAIA map for our purple routes to a few spots on the course near the coast. I asumed they would be crowded but if not - all the better. Plan B is to head up towards west side of Mike's - but on Thursday. Let me know if the map shows well.
Yeah, those work. Maybe easier to go in to the course at the South end of Colonet, just after the left curve leaving town. Real easy dirt road, parallels the south side of the Rafael wash. Then drive the course 'till you find a good spot where you can park on the West side of the course (dust likely blowing east).
Other than the silt on the south side of vcp41, you can easily drive where you hit the course just before vcp40 down past vcp42 in most any vehicle, and there's a nice road out to the Hwy 1 mile past vcp42. Most anywhere along there it's pretty easy to avoid driving on the course if you decide to leave before sunset on Friday, then hit one of the roads back to the Hwy. Lots of good uncrowded posible spectate spots.

Kademcfarland

Thank you guys for all of the feedback, I thinking about going to rm +\- 50 but was wondering how i can get there without driving on a live course? Do we just plan to arive before and Leave after the cars have gone threw? Or is the course off of the main road a bit? Sorry i may be over thinking this but i have seen too many vids of cars getting hit on the course

richzajic

Spectate like a local. Get Drunk and drive your car on the race course. Wave to the race cars as they pass you one by one.
Just be safe and do not go backwards on the course.

Bajacolorado

Lay in the middle of the road with your I-phone and drunk stumble to get out of the way before you are decapitated. Let your kids and dog wander on to the course while you are slamming TKT's. and Bud lights helping your buddy get unstuck - who is on the course. Seen this too many times. A few Gringos too.

BajaboundMoto

I thinking about going to rm +\- 50 but was wondering how i can get there without driving on a live course? Do we just plan to arive before and Leave after the cars have gone threw? Or is the course off of the main road a bit?
Simple answer, forget about it. You can't get into or out of 30-65 at all on Friday.
You can get into rm 60 on Friday, but it's not easy, and you'd need to know the exact route. Better off saying, no go.
To keep it simple, the course from 45-65+ is not near a main side road.
Yes there are parts of it near the main ranchers road, but the course is also on it in 2 directions in spots and crosses it multiple times. Better to just stay away (and not risk the life of a bike racer too).
Don't even think of heading from Ojos south on the course, even if you think you know the common rancher road to Tres Hermanos, on Friday at any time.
If you hit the dirt at rm 30 and head south or into 65'ish off the access on THURSDAY by 1:00PM you'll have some time to find a spot and camp out.
Sounds like a lot of hassle if you ask me.