On Topic Baja 1000 starting in La Paz

RYAN COHEE

Reaction
When will Score do a Baja 1000 starting in La Paz and end in Ensenada. This would be epic what’s you thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
I don’t wanna be a hater but...

Besides it being “different” than what we usually do, this seems like its would be kinda a pain in the ass logistically and financially.

Feel free to try and change my mind though. I promise to be open minded about this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattb

Reaction
I’m curious why you think it’s be more of a pain logistically and financially. It’s still the same mileage and support structure.

motoman29

Reaction
I’m curious why you think it’s be more of a pain logistically and financially. It’s still the same mileage and support structure.

Not trying to be a hater, as I would totally support the idea!

I would love to have a short drive home after the race is over.

It would also open up the potential for racers and chasers to see and experience sections of Baja that they may have never seen otherwise.

Usual attrition rate is about 50%. For the teams that break/dnf etc., they still have to spend all the time and money as a full race, without actually finishing. That makes things tough on smaller teams.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction

What pat said^^^

Also, as a vendor no one wants to haul a 44 foot trailer to La Paz.

As a crew guy I don’t wanna have to find out two days before the race that we need something from San Diego or we’re screwed.

Didn’t the baja sur score race have a crappy car count? Maybe the logistics were part of that?

BANNED4LIFE

Reaction
who wants to spend the next week after the race in ensenada???

mattb

Reaction
What pat said^^^

Also, as a vendor no one wants to haul a 44 foot trailer to La Paz.

As a crew guy I don’t wanna have to find out two days before the race that we need something from San Diego or we’re screwed.

Didn’t the baja sur score race have a crappy car count? Maybe the logistics were part of that?

I was referring to racing north from La Paz vs racing south to La Paz. I can totally see the perspective of the vendors not wanting to tow a trailer all of the way down. It’s a terrible road for any trailer, let alone a 40ft trailer full of your livelihood.
And yes, I’m sure that’s why the total count for the Baja Sur race was so low... but it wasn’t the Baja 1000.

From my perspective, I’d rather race towards home. In the past it’s usually been- race to La Paz, then wake the next am and start the trip north.

JDDurfey

Reaction
Most teams now have the whole team show up in Ensenada before the race to finalize race plans and prep. Then they disburse down the peninsula. Once the northern pit crews are done with the car, many return home leaving the car in the hands of the team members farther south.

Now, if you start in La Paz the same plan would necessitate that the whole team would have to travel to La Paz for the start of the race. This alone is a much larger expense in fuel, not to mention more hotel rooms for a longer period. And then what about the poor guy that breaks his car 200 miles into the race. That is a long azz drive back to the States with his tail between his legs.

I don't foresee it happening any time soon.

Has BITD ever raced Reno to Vegas?

Bro_Gill

Reaction
"Now, if you start in La Paz the same plan would necessitate that the whole team would have to travel to La Paz for the start of the race. "

No they don't. Finalize your pit strategies before the race and guys drive to their pit from home. As for the Vendor issue, what would it cost to ship your trailer in a container on a boat down there?

iribe51600

Reaction
All in , this has been thought before but nothing has happend.. I think its a greate idea.

BajaboundMoto

Reaction
Northern Baja awards parties are all ready lame becauze most people have gone home.
La Paz and Cabo parties are pretty killer.
A 1000 awards in Ensenada after racing from La Paz would be a ghost town.

Makes sense to me that Baja Sur would rather have the Finish because so many people stay in town (LP and Cabo) post-race and spend a lot.
I'd bet Ensenada woud care less to have a finish because most people would split home right away. And the common 3-night minimum at hotels with inflated prices, no thanks, I'd rather split home stinky.

Northbound doesn't make $ense.

MIKE GORDON

Reaction
For us in Baja Sur it would be something formidable, something that many have thought, but it has never been a good idea for the promoter!

johndjmix

Reaction
This would be awesome. After the race you drive an hour across the border.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert