Baja 1000 Tourist Visa Do you Need one?

El Mamito USMC

Reaction
probably 99% of the people going need it. since youll stay longer than 3 days in Baja. but the only ones that might ask you for it is federales once you go down on the peninsula, so all racers and chasers should get it. at least the FREE 7 day one..

JaysinDesignz

Reaction
Be legal and do the right thing. Just get the FREE one & show the rest of the world Americans will follow immigration laws in other countries.
It is the actual law to obtain it entering Baja. You get in an accident and dont have it, insurance can deny you. They randomly check crossing the Baja Sur border. I personally have never been checked in 20yrs.

Last edited:

ScottyA

Reaction
Had to buy them once at GN about ten years ago. They were super nice about it and it was easier than TJ

y2kbaja

Reaction
Free is 7 days--Sunday to Saturday. We were there Sunday to Sunday and it's 8 days and had to pay.

Baja Bryan

Reaction
Yes take your passport and stop and get one. easy to get once you cross the border. Also be sure to get auto insurance at the border on the USA side. That is the most important thing you can do. With out insurance you will be held in jail until you have the cash to pay for the accident you were in.

Soylent_Green

Reaction
takes 5 minutes. Less than a week free or get a 6 month good for multiple entries for like $30. In SY, you make the first right hand 90 degree, and go straight to the end (instead of going 90 degrees left into the gates) where the covered parking and immigration building is located. Before you go through the gates.

Park, get your tourist card, get back in line and be on your way.

No excuse not to have one.

rustyb

Reaction
Haven't been checked the last 2 times through Guerrero Negro but why worry about maybe them checking? Like Soylent Green said, takes 5 minutes at San Ysidro, right after the inspection area, plus they have clean restrooms there.

retroblazer

Reaction
The only time I was hassled because I didn't have it was when I flew back from La Paz to TJ on a Mexican carrier. When I landed in TJ they wanted to see it, then lectured me about for a few minutes. Nothing that talking with my wife hadn't trained me for.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

WickedGravityVideo

Reaction
Last time I drove back north through GN checkpoint, I was covered in racing suits and blankets in the back of a van, because I did not pay the $150+ they wanted on my way down. (Illegal Alien Gringo) shhhh, don't tell nobody, ese! chingon!

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
Just because nobody asks for it does not mean you should not have it. Imagine being denied your insurance coverage because you do not have it and are technically not in the country legally. Could become a legal nightmare. Best to just get it.

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Reaction
The last time I bought one it was a zoo I was at the SY border crossing parked on the right just through the border crossing for what was described as a 'piece of cake' WRONG I had everything ready except my informant forgot to tell me about the wait.....it was absolute pandemonium. This time around i want mine in hand so does anybody know of a website or anything legit I (and the entire team) can buy, pay, have mailed or overnight pkg the document? Hell ive attempted talking to the mexican consolate in salt lake city and they have no idea what the hell im talking about because THEY say you only need one IF your going to be in mexico for more than 180 consecutave days (sounds like mexico) I/we don't have the time or need the brain damage so we're just going to submit and buy the Damm things WHERE DO YOU DO IT?

LantanaTX

Reaction
If you plan on racing to La Paz and then fly home from La Paz, you HAVE to have the visa. You will be denied boarding.

Baja Bryan

Reaction

LantanaTX

Reaction
Here is a few links to help out.

How To Buy Your FMM Tourist Card Online

Tourist Cards (FMM) from El Chaparral Tijiuana Immigration

You can fill it out ahead of time. But they need to verify your passport and stamp it. You either need a 7 day for one for 6 mo. Just allow extra time. Be thankful its that easy to get into mexico. You should see what Mexicans have to do to get a permit to go to usa. Its about a 6 month process.
My understanding is that you need a visa for Baja Sur. Is the FMM tourist card the same thing?

motoman29

Reaction
Tourist cards are required if you are in Mexico more than 72 hours, or go south of San Felipe.

Easy to get in Mexicali or Tecate, takes a little longer in SY.