• Forum membership has its advantages....

Baja 1000?? Where to watch?

NWGuy

I am new here. My family has conned me into heading to Baja for the 1K. We are from Washington State, and I haven't been to Ensenada since I was 11 years old( 1969).

My question is, If you had a week to spend, where would you go and when? I would like to be in Ensenada on Mon , beyond that I am open to suggestions. My youngest son REALLY wants to watch the TTs run thru the wash in town.

Is there anything that I should be on the lookout for, or any precautions that I should take?

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to seeing some of you in a couple weeks.:)

sidekicker

RIP Lusk & Ox
I am new here. My family has conned me into heading to Baja for the 1K. We are from Washington State, and I haven't been to Ensenada since I was 11 years old( 1969).

My question is, If you had a week to spend, where would you go and when? I would like to be in Ensenada on Mon , beyond that I am open to suggestions. My youngest son REALLY wants to watch the TTs run thru the wash in town.

Is there anything that I should be on the lookout for, or any precautions that I should take?

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to seeing some of you in a couple weeks.:)

all the race people they move really fast and go to other place for thier pit change rider, on hwy or on dirt or pavement

Kartman

Media Goon
Dont leave anything of value in your car or bed of your truck.
If you park on the street leave someone to watch your stuff.
Dont drink tapwater, beer is a good substitute.
Get in early monday if you can so you can check out Tech, its a lot of fun.
Eat from the tacos stands, best food anywhere.
Bring a camera, lots of cool stuff to take pictures of.
Get a good map.
Call your cell company and make sure you have international roaming.
Have fun.

You could watch the start of the race in town then head down the highway and catch them in a few more spots.

El Ranas

There are a lot of things to do days before the race, here are some tips:

*Walk with your family in the Juarez blvd. there are a lot of stuff to see
*Walk in the malecon, you can see sea wolfs and take some bay tours
*Eat fish tacos, they are delicious.......
*Go to the Bufadora, is a nice place to know
*Go to the Husongs bar, is very nice
*Contingency all day
*Race in ojos, jamau, san telmo, etc

drj777

first off - welcome!:D

second - download the course map http://www.score-international.com/baja1000/index.ihtml (should be helpful to plan your trip)

third - there is safety in numbers...and theres enough nice folks from here that you should probably be able to tag along with once youre down here.

fourth - the wash in ensenada is ok - but i would suggest heading to OJOS NEGROS (its not too far out of town and THERES JUMPS!!!)

its a quick trip - and youll get to see the more beautiful side of baja...and @ ojos you wont really be too far from your car - in fact - if you get there early enough - you could probably setup camp near the road and your car will most likely never be out of sight!

i would suggest being in ensenada the day before the race for CONTINGENCY(tech inspection and a big party) - then make your way to OJOS that night to be there before they take off in the morning...you wont be sorry.

ensenada is ok - but in my opinion - it presents the highest opportunity for shady characters and stolen property...being out of town is much better.

and if youre more adventurous - the further you go the better baja gets...the signs of civilization fade away - the people are nice - the scenery gets better and the food is still awesome!

if you know a little spanish - thats even better...but like i said - you should be able to find some nice folks here to tag along with...

it will most likely be chilly @ night - and OJOS will DEFINITELY get frosty...BRING FIREWOOD!!

i took this @ OJOS in 2005...

last year i watched the race from the east coast of baja - south of puertocitos...

less people - more joy!

sorry for the multi-pic post - but i thought you should see the other spectating possibility :D

drj
:)

have fun - be safe!!

BoxRacing

NW Guy -
If possible, try to hook up with a TT team and try to chase the first half. This will add so much more excitement to the event than just sitting and watching. If you are just going to watch, the wash would be fun, but you will be stuck there. Another great place would be Ojos Negros, note the photos above. Very fast roller with lots of air time.

Last thing, just enjoy, with percautions.

NWGuy

Thanks Guys,

You have given me somethings to think about. Now I will fly it by my better half and see what the family wants to do. Please keep the ideas coming. Thanks in advance. I just can't wait!

Michael Pee

My favorite spot is at punta canejo just north of la paz on the pacific side. you can camp surf and watch the race.

racer951

I'm not sure why everyone is saying to catch them at Ojos, especially for someone bringing kids who hasn't been to Ensenada in a while. That whole area is a complete cluster**** to every race! If you want to catch them in another spot after the wash, you can head down to Santo Domingo. You might even convince your wife with some of the wineries in the area? The earlier poster was right, Baja gets better as you go south.

reese5171

hey i live in federal way and am thinking of heading down if you go let me know and maybe i can catch up with you. reese:mad:

adriel

I think Ojos is out of the question. SCORE says the race is not through Ojos, that means no jumps. Can anyone out there confirm the course from ensenada to the ojos dump. I'm confused because the map reads they are going through ojos:confused:

adriel

What do you guys think about watching in Jamau? How is it? I'm pulling a 20 toy hauler, Is it easy access with the hauler? how do I get there? I always watch at Ojos and I understand this year they are not racing through the Ojos Jumps. I'm considering camping at jamau. Thanks.

Kartman

Media Goon
I was at Jamau at the 500. Some cool sections through there spread out over a mile or two. Sand, whoops, jump, corners.

Ive never towed something that big but I dont think I would want to tow one into Jamau.

Km 109.00 "EJ Jamau" - turn-off north

El Ranas

What do you guys think about watching in Jamau? How is it? I'm pulling a 20 toy hauler, Is it easy access with the hauler? how do I get there? I always watch at Ojos and I understand this year they are not racing through the Ojos Jumps. I'm considering camping at jamau. Thanks.
Jamau is a very nice spot!!

I have seen in past years motorhomes there..........